Best XI

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by leafdolfan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For a while now people have been disputing our best XI. After the Man Ciy game it has been cast into even more doubt. If we were playing a Cup final tomorrow-who would you play and where?

Here's my starting XI (minus Neville who should be left off because his fitness would be in doubt even if he does return)

-------------------VDS-----------------
    ---Brown-----Rio-------Vidic-------Evra--
    --------Anderson--------Carrick---------
    -----------------Scholes----------------
    --Rooney-------------------------Tevez--
    ----------------Ronaldo------------------

2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    loving the thread, but wtf is that formation, ronaldo uptop , switch ronaldo and rooney and scholes with anderson, perfect love the formation not the pick

3. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I really don't like Rooney upfront I think Ronaldo showed in the Pompy game he is our most effective player in that position. As for Scholes and Anderson switching I really see that as a very flowing formation where either have the option of making forward runs.

4. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    --------Tevez------Ronaldo-------Rooney

------------------Anderson

----------Scholes------------Carrick
    Evra----------------------------------Simpson
    ----------Vidic-------------Rio
    -------------------VDS

The front four will be interchanging. We sit deep and invite teams onto us so we could hit them on a lightening break. No...Tevez and Rooney are not 'wingers', for you tactically challenged folks.

5. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    ---------Rooney-----
    ------Tevez---------
    Park--Scholes--Carrick--Ronaldo
    Evra--Vidic-----Rio----Hargreaves
    ----------VDS---------------

It's sad that I have to leave out Giggs....I'm still tempted to stick Giggs on the left..just seem wrong not having him there...

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ------------------------VDS-------------------------

Neville------Ferdinand----------Vidic-------------Evra

----------Hargreaves----------Scholes---------------

---------------------Anderson------------------------

---------Ronaldo-------------------------------------

--------------------------------Tevez----------------

--------------------Rooney----------------------------

I like that formation because it has an attacking mindset, but has enough ball users in Anderson and Scholes to ensure that possession is not lost too easily and can be won back. With Saha, Giggs and Nani on the bench there is an attacking option from the bench and with Carrick also there defensive stability is also available. It all depends on Hargreaves ability to stay disciplined in his position, mind. If fit, some might have Saha on from the start. We do look much more dangerous in and around the box when he is on. With this new 7 substitute bench that is coming in you can add Brown, Kuszczak and possibly O'Shea or Fletcher to the mix. Even Welbeck?

After Sunday my faith in Giggs as a starter has totally faded. He just looked like a 34 year old trying to play like a 17 year old, rather than using his head, which he has been doing quite well in the last 18 months. Saha and Nani are definitely good impact players to bring on though.......

7. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That formation does possibly lack width though, which has been our strong hold for the last 14 years or so with Sharpe, Giggs, Kanchelskis, Poborsky, Beckham and Ronaldo etc........ :confused: