Best XI of the last 25 years?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Rollins, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But he did score so many goals in the tournament. How many goals did Sukur, Lineker, or anyone score in a single WC?

2. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Just for you: Ronaldo had 7 games.

Lineker made 6 goals in 5games!

So who has the better rate, mister professor??????

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The thing is, the WC is only a 1 month event. You have to prove yourself week in, week out at cluib level, which Ronaldo did not do before 10 or so months ago... he was poor for Real in his first few months, and got little plkaying time at Inter, which meant they pretty much made him POTY on his WC performance alone (it was a fantastic performance, but not as good as Kahn's - since he got the golden ball - and also proved himself week in week out for Bayern)

Ronaldo, on sheer ability is possibly the best of the last 25 years, but he was injured for a good 3 or 4 years, with almost no games. Since recovering, he has failed to get back in shape and fully recaptuire the form he had in the mid/late 90's - he's been really, really good... but if you consider him as good as he was, you must have never seen him years ago.

4. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Guess why Real wants to replace him by Owen or Henry?
    He is no team player and the Brazilian NT is the only team that excepts his way of playing.

He is like Gerd Mueller, but with a worse scoring rate and less success.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    The only part of this i disagree with is the Kahn issue. It's not fair, but, the fact Ronaldo went into 2002WC with so much pressure on his shoulders and the world looking to see what he could do, and then him winning the golden boot, definitely led to him winning the player of the 'year' award for a months work. It was a slight to others, but 'all' they had to do was go to the world cup and not perform as poorly as they did, and, they didn't

If that had been any other year and any other tournament but the world cup Ronaldo wouldn't have won the award, but it wasn't. It was the World Cup - which won't come round for another 3years - and that has to be taken into consideration. The biggest stage of all, the biggest performers come to the fore. Simple as that.

Ronaldo is definitely not the player he was in the mid 90's no dispute about that, but in changing his game around almost totally to incorperate his current lack of stamina and his reluctance to dribble unless absolutely neccesary, you have to rate that. It's like taking away Henry's Olympic speed and telling him to continue scoring at the rate he does. Or taking away Owen's right foot. For Ronaldo to still be scoring at the rate he does, whilst currently being 2/3rds of the player he was says it all. How many other unfit strikers you see banging in goals for fun like he does?

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    LoL@ replace....where do you get your info from... :rolleyes: It was Raul..the prince of Madrid who was threatened with being replaced with Owen if he didn't play ball with the club instead of dragging his heels on certain issues.

:confused: I've heard Ronaldo called many things but, selfish on the pitch? WTF his assist rates are superb. Cuper's the only manager Ronaldo's been at odds with..you make him sound like Edmundo or Anelka..lol

In what possible way is Ronaldo like Gerd Mueller? And LOL at he worst scoring rate...are you high? Ronaldo is on course to break all World Cup scoring records..and I know you're not daring to question his club scoring rates right? His goals to games ratio is one of the best of all time.. damn, at least come correct and not with some snide, side agenda, lol.

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Lol I should actually add my team to this thread. Whoops!

3-4-3

-----------Zoff
    ----------Baresi
    ----Sammer----Maldini
    ---------Matthaus
    -----Keane------Gullit
    ---------Maradona
    --Ronaldo-------Romario
    --------Van Basten

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ronaldo's career record is 297 games, 234 goals at club level, and 85 games with 55 goals at international.
    In the modern game that is quite simply superb.

9. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    You´re drunken, right?
    The same Raul that has an agreament that no other player at Real earns more money than he does??
    Raul beeing replaced at Real.......

Man that is so STUPID!!!!!

Gerd Mueller scored 68 goals in 62 games for Germany.
    Impressive, eh?

And he also scored 365 goals in 427 games for Bayern, in the best european league in the 70´s.

He won 3 CL´s, 1 Cupwinners Cup, 4 german championships, 4 german cup titles and 1 european championship and 1 world cup.

Oh, and he made 10goals in 6games in the 1970 World Cup.
    Makes Ronaldos 8 goals in 7 games last years look kind of lame......

Mueller has 14 WC goals in 13 games, Ronaldo has 12 in 14 games, so stop talking.

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, then take a look at this (it's Germany, not Britain/Ireland, but it still proves my point)

Any words?

11. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Barely anyone mentions Gullit. I think he should be quoted more often.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The competition right now is not nearly what it was when Romario played... Ronaldo could have one day, before he got injured been tipped to be better than Romario, but now, after the injury? He is overweight, slow and just a finisher now, he is not the fierce competitor Romario was.

Ronaldo does not deserve comparison to Romario... he has been fortunate to score many goals in the world cup... but come on brazil had 3 players score 5 or more in the last world cup! and Ronaldo had 7 tallying goals in the WC is rarely a fair stat because sometimes one team will face Korea and the other team may face Germany.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How many players play on a team that have. Ronaldinho, Rivaldo type players on their team??? Everyone scored goals... Rivaldo and Gaucho had 5 each didn't they? The team was unstoppable Ronaldo had some excellent finishing and he did score off Rivaldo's rebound which should be scratched from his tally.

14. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002

Rivaldo had 5 goals and Ronaldino had 2 (1 was a PK and one was a fluke)

Since when do you scratch rebound goals off of a player's scoring tally? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.

15. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Man! This summer after winning La Liga and with the furore that happened with Hierro and the vice captains (raul) Perez said something about getting Owen in to replace Raul in some veiled threat to keep the prince in line. What has money got to do with that? Perez knows replacing Raul would be sacrilege, that's not the point. The point is that Raul and the club had issues and that led to the noise about Owen.

LoL, So? What exactly has this got to do with being comparable with Ronaldo? Mueller poached goals and loafed around the penalty box. He wasn't expected to do anything else. In my eyes Mueller is the best poacher there has ever been, but what has that got to do with Ronaldo? They're not comparable in any way. 100% different styles, which was my point in the first place.

Wuh? :confused: lol, you're surely not comparing the 1970 world cup with the modern game are you? Lol the worst teams of today would destroy the worst teams of yesteryear. In those days only the top nations had it 'together' nations outside of the top 8 or 10 countries were a joke!

:D Just one thing! you're talking about one player in this equation being retired and another who could possibly have 2more world cups left in him. hmm! good one ^__^ should i stop talking now?

k.

16. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    !!

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Nah, not my arguement, :)

18. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003

Really??? R. Gaucho scored 5 did he??? no, he scored 2, thats as in 1 and 1 equals 2 not 5. And one was a penalty. And the goal Ronaldo scored of a rebound was completely created by him when he stole the ball, passed it to Rivaldo who then shot. Ronaldo had 8 goals btw to condradict you're previous post.

Man, stop talking.... you're facts are all messed up and you're embarrasing yourself.

19. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    yeah, you're right, i remembered after I posted and didn't have time to edit. I could come up with a bunch of other examples as well such as Brasil - Bolivia in the Copa America final at high altitude in la Paz scoring in the 79th min (i think) with his left to put brasil ahead 2-1... even though some blonde white clown scored again in the dying minutes for brazil it was the goal that changed the game when nobody thought brasil would score...

but nice catch though, good to see someone is paying attention.

20. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003

My post says nothing about Romario... he is one of my all-time favorites... but saying that Ronaldo doesn't win games is just not right. Out of the players playing today, he is one of the most decisive. Thats all I wanted to say and I backed it up with several examples of his being decisive. Except for you excellent catch of the Holland game which i realized after i had gone offline.

21. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    So the words of one Ronaldo fanatic prove that everyone on these boards under-rates British and Irish players. Of course you are going to have people who have bias towards the country they root for, much like the bias you are displaying now, that doesn't mean that they under-rate a particular country or countries.

22. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I would assume the 'fanatic' is me right? :rolleyes: So i'm the one that's been swinging on Francescoli's nutz since the start of the thread bleating on about why others are idiots for not having him in their teams right? :rolleyes: ok then...

Don't call me out under some snide remark, that is lame, furthermore why embroil me in your little tet-e-tet?

Better watch your mouth sonny or Osam Bin Savante and his fanatical disciples are going to declare war on you! ¬_¬

I can't believe the levels people stoop to on here sometimes. Pathetic.

23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Oh, and billy if you're going to qoute me, qoute me in my entireity and not with some half baked snippet to prove a point to someone else.

K Thanks.

24. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Oh please, I was discounting how Billy Ireland's quote of you applied to anything we were discussing. Would you feel that what you were saying means that everyone on this board under-rates British/Irish players?
    Also why would a Ronaldo fanatic be hanging on Francescoli's nuts? Of course you're not, you're hanging on Ronaldo's nuts. And I will be waiting for you and your fellow fanatics at the Church of Francescoli that I am setting up in the stands for the Uruguay/Brasil match on Wednesday.

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    My point is/was that you said being a world class attacking player for Brazil meant more than being a world class attacking player for Germany, which was to prove a point in a seperate argument, and it did. I'm not attacking you, I'm just proving that I am not, as Penarol1916 put it, paranoid.