Best XI of the last 25 years?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Rollins, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Rollins

Rollins New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Northern England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is your best XI in a 4-4-2, taking into consideration, to some degree the actual position a player plays (ie Giggs on the left wing)? I am having a friendly wager with some of my friends as to who picks the best team (not too friendly, there is beer on the line)

My Pick

Schmeichel
    Thuram----Mattheus-----Baresi-----Maldini

Beckham----Maradonna---Zidane----Giggs

----------Klinsmann-------Van Basten--------

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    so were going back to 1978

the id say

Barthez
    Jorginho-Baresi-Sammer-Maldini
    Dunga-Redondo
    Zico-Maradona
    Romario-Van basten

3. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Barthez??????????

4. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    My XI of the past 25 years:

--- Schmeichel ---

Thuram --- Mattheus--- Maldini --- Roberto Carlos

Maradona --- Keane --- Zidane --- Giggs

--- Ronaldo --- Van Basten ---

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    GK: Schmeichel

LB: Maldini
    CB: Mattheus
    CB: Sammer
    RB: Cafu

LM: Giggs
    CM: Keane
    CM: Zidane
    RM: Maradona

CF: Van Basten (popular, isn't he?)
    CF: Romario

Subs: Kahn, Baresi, *Irwin, Figo, Cantona (!!), Ronaldo (before the leg fell off), Bebeto

I couldn't think of a fullback to put in, but Irwin is a great contender - he is one of the most consistent fullback ever.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Zoff
    Cafu Baresi Desailly Maldini
    Mattheus Platini Keane
    Maradona
    Van Basten Baggio

Anybody who doesn't have Baresi should be summarily executed. Ronaldo still has all the potential to get into the team. Also why are people playing Mattheus at CB, he was sh!t when he played there, he was a centre midfielder.

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kahn
    J. Zanetti Baresi Nesta Maldini
    Matthaus
    Gullit Maradona Platini
    Van Basten Batistuta

8. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Schmeichel
    Kohler-Sammer-Baresi-Maldini
    Zidane-Matthaeus-Maradonna-Platini
    Klinsmann-VanBasten

Subs:Rummenigge, Dunga, Reijkaard, Baggio, Kahn, Lineker, Voeller, Zico, M.Laudrup, Gullit, Rossi, Jorghino, Cafu, Romario, Weah.............

Long list, but they are all world class and they all deserve to be in the XI.

9. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    It seems that Marco van Basten is a consensus pick for striker, but I don't understand how some of you think Romario was greater than Ronaldo is. Please explain.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no votes for fabian;)

11. Rollins

Rollins New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Northern England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of my friends (and thus judges of our fantasy teams) are purists, and wont allow players out of position (ie Giggs anywhere but left wing) also I am bucking the norm by not starting a typical defensive midfielder but going with a full out offensive midfield.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ...............zoff
    .......baresi....matthaus
    cafu........................maldini
    ..............dunga
    ...gullit...................platini
    .............maradona
    .....romario.......van basten

some tough calls here...

13. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Romario was more thrilling than Ronaldo, and together with Bebeto the best striker-duo Brazil ever had. Ronaldo is hyped by the media.

14. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    -----------------Kahn----------------

Thuram--Kohler---Sammer---Maldini

-------------Matthaeus---------------

Maradona---------------------Brehme

----------------Zidane----------------

----Romario-----------Ronaldo-------

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Romario could win a match all by himself. Ronaldo can't.

Romario is an all-time great. Ronaldo is one of those great strikers we all know... but not of this extraordinary level.

BTW... Jari Litmanen should be benched as most underestimated player ever. This guy in the mid 90's is right up there with the world's best.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ronaldo is the best striker in the world now, and has all the potential to be just about the best ever. He has already hit 12 goals in the world cup, with time for another victory, and been 3 times world player of the year.

17. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I tried to base this as much as possible on what I've actually seen, rather than on reputation. So, no Schmeichel, no Van Basten, etc.

GK: Chilavert
    RB: Cafu
    CB: Baresi
    CB: Desailly
    LB: Roberto Carlos
    DM: Davids
    RM: Beckham
    LM: Giggs
    AM: Maradona
    F: Baggio
    F: Romario

18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Ronaldo IS NOT the best striker in the world I would call Ruud, Vieri, Henry & Makaay better than him (maybe 1 or 2 others, as well). Ronaldo WILL NOT be the best ever. He's a fantastic player, but not of these levels.

19. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    But you obviously never saw Chilavert play..........

20. chriswm34

chriswm34 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    NW England
    I agree with most of what you have said Billy but even as an avid United fan, I have to say that I believe Raul to be the best Striker I have ever seen and is therefore better than Ruud. If it was only about goals, we'd have to mention Ian Rush (excuse me while I brush my teeth now) his predatory instincts were incredible. Style would be Van Basten. Overall, I would say that there is a group of 8 or so including the following who are all about the same level:
    Shearer
    van Nistelrooy
    Henry
    Vieri
    Lineker
    Rossi
    Romario
    Ronaldo

I know I'll have missed a few out but one thing remains, in my opinion, Raul is better than any of them.

I can't be as specific about any other position, with the exception of Goalkeeper. One choice Schmeichel.

There you have it, I can only suggest two players that I wouldn't be prepared to negotiate on.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Last season a far from fully fit Ronaldo scored 23 goals in la liga, and scored 8 goals at the world cup. He is not just the best striker in the world, he is the best player in the world.

He is a player that is simply unstoppable when in form, and unlike others he does not depend on service, he makes goals from nothing.

22. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    The fact that Francescoli doesn't even make the reserve rosters on these lists is an embarassment to all of you. You should all hang your heads in shame for lack of knowledge about the game.

23. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As impressive as Romario's play was, I don't see how Ronaldo can be dismissed - he has been named FIFA World Player of the Year 3 times... over 7 years and should be in the running for a 4th over 8 years. That's pretty dominant, no? I know that Romario had some magic to his game, but can you really say that the competition was that much less in '96, '97, and '02?

Here's my list:
    F: Van Basten (NE)
    F: Ronaldo (BR)
    RM: Maradona (AR)
    CM: Zidane (FR)
    CM: Platini (FR)
    LM: Giggs (WA)
    RD: Cafu (BR)
    CD: Baresi (IT)
    CD: Mattheus (DE)
    LD: Maldini (IT)
    G: Chilavert (PAR)

The name I feel most odd about is Giggs - as good as he is, he seems out of place with those other names.

24. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    What are you talking about???

I'll even let you forget about pre-injury Ronaldo and lets look at the World Cup... lets see, his goals against Turkey and Germay (3 of them) were the only goals scored in those games. Most of his other goals were helpful or decisive as well (the first against turkey, the second against Belgium)....

Then flashforward to Real Madrid... at the end of the season Ronaldo scored something like 16 goals in the last 12 games... (correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not 100% on that, but i'm almost certain that his last run of games was over the 1:1 goal per game ratio.)

Ronaldo put 3 past Man. U when nobody else on R. Madrid could score (only 3 shots, 3 goals)... If you didn't see last season's game against Valencia towards the end of the season check that out too (Ronaldo 2 Valencia 1) and I could go on but i'm bored now but just for the hell of it, did you see the R.Mad vs Atletico Bilbao match????? Ronaldo scored 2, including a fantastic 40 meter run goal while passing 3-4 players and to top it off for the last goal he dribbles two players to get in the box one on one with the goalkeeper and just when you think he would shoot he passes to Figo... 3-0. B

But I guess you're right, Ronaldo hasn't been known to win matches..... (Brasil vs Holland 98, Inter vs Lazio uefa cup, Brasil vs. Chile 98, etc etc etc.....)

25. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    He didn´t deserve the award in 1996 and in 2002 and he definitly doesn´t deserve to win the award this year.

If Ronaldo wasn´t Brazilian, but maybe Italian or Spanish he wouldn´t have won so many awards.