Best Xbox Soccer Game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Santaniano, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Santaniano

Santaniano New Member

Apr 25, 2000
    O'ahu, Hawai'i
    What is the best soccer video game commonly available in the U.S. for the Xbox? I'm looking for gameplay first and team building/franchise options second. Your input is appreciated, but please explain your choices.

2. TruxHalapino

TruxHalapino New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    We Xboxers dont have much of a choice.

There are only 2 footy games that matters today: Fifa and Winning 11.

W11 is not coming out on the XBox anytime soon.

Leaves FIFA 2003 as is the best out there. But it does not have a franchise mode. Fifa 2004 does. And it's coming out in a couple of weeks (From www.fifa2004.ea.com):

3. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sega Soccer Slam is cool it has great gameplay
    but it doesnt have a franchise mode

if you want the franchise mode FIFA 2004 is the only way to go

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    there are several soccer games out now for the xbox, and I'll give you a brief review of each:

FIFA 2003: Decent game with great graphics and tons of leagues and clubs from all over the world including English Premier League, Scottish PL, German Bundesliga, MLS, etc etc however there are no mexican or south american clubs save for 8 Brazillian sides. Most of the National teams are there as well. The gameplay is the best FIFA has ever put out but there are still some bugs and the players are a bit jerky at times. There is a very weak career mode. You just play multiple seasons and sign and sell players but not much else happens. My Grade: B

ESPN MLS Extratime 2002: The best soccer game ever released in the US is Winning Eleven 6 but it's only on PS2 and this is the closest you're going to get to it on the Xbox. It's made by the same company (Konami) and it plays similarly to WE6 but isn't as good as WE6 at most things. But it's still very good - the gameplay is tops. The one major complaint about the gameplay is that you can't pan the camera's back far enough so your field vision is limited. If you like MLS then this is the game for you, if not then search elsewhere. The MLS mode is excellent even though the rosters are now outdated - but the other club teams and the international teams look hideous. Again, the career mode here is weak. After each season a few players retire and you have a (super) draft and you can trade players as well. Nothing to get excited about. My Grade: B+

David Beckham Soccer: Strange little game but fun nonetheless. The players glide along the pitch and the ball seems stuck to thier feet. Graphics are decent and there are some cool challenges. Fake club teams and fake names on the international. My Grade: C+

RedCard Soccer: Sort of like NFL Blitz, you can do crazy tackles on the opponents. It only has national teams. The gameplay has a lot of bugs but it's still half way fun. My Grade: C

Sega Soccer Slam: Interesting, 3 on 3 soccer with weird characters as the players in an underground extreme soccer league. The gameplay is actually very good and the graphics are excellent. If you're into this sort of thing I would reccomend it. My Grade: B-

Or you can wait for FIFA2004 which comes out in a few weeks and supposedly has much improved gameplay and will have an excellent management mode according to IGN.Com

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good games for Xbox, thats an oxymoron. Hey, Electronic Boutique has a deal if you trade in your Xbox you'll get $100, you should look into that. That way you can buy a system with good games.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

actually I just sold my PS2 and kept my xbox, I like the xbox better. just my opinion, but I prefer Halo to anything on ps2. Plus all the Sega Sports games come on Xbox so I'm set. I really liked the Spider-man game and the Xbox version had extra levels that the PS2 didn't have. Don't get me wrong the PS2 is awesome too but I like the xbox a tad more.

Also I forgot to mention that LMA manager is out for XBOX in Europe, you can import it if you have a mod chip. It's a football management game.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halo is the only exception. Otherwise, any good game on Xbox is a good game on Game Cube and PS2. And Xbox is known for crashing and freezing, after all it is made by Mircosoft. But hey, if you prefer Xbox over PS2, thats fine, but you do miss out on Gran Turismo 4 (possibly the best graphical and realistic game ever) and Metal Gear Solid - Snake Eater.

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the PS2 is known for having faulty CD-lasers. In which people have to send their PS2s out to get it fixed by Sony. 2 friends of mine had to do this at the same time, and the PS2s were bought in seperate locations.

XBoxes only freeze and crash when people do dumb things like try to play it on its side. PS2s played on its side can scratch DVDs, so I don't know why anyone would and yet pay $12 for a STAND just to put a PS2 on its side..WTH. Only PS2 fanboys would pay that much money just to put the PS2 on its side.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too bad what you said is not true (unless you can prove it to me). I've never heard anything of that sort and I have had no problems with my PS2. And i recieved the information about the XBox freezing and crashing from the Manager of the R Zone at Toys R Us in Framingham Mass, the biggest Toys R Us in the Northeast, so I think my sources are more believable then yours.

10. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. XBox does freeze and crash all the time. It is very sensative to game "situations" - RollerCoaster Tycoon freezes after about 10 minutes of play on challenging landscaper (of course it may be my fault for even getting RT for XBox) - Occassionally it will freeze right before you go to save a game (FIFA 2003/World Cup 2002) - or just refuse to start (HALO). And it won't be dirty discs either. I'll just eject and restart until it works. Same with DVD's.

2. Fifa World Cup 2002 may be the worst Soccer game ever. Some of the extras/DVD like features are neat, but in competition you must always start out in the same group against the same teams. Gets boring after a little while. It is quite challenging though.

3. FIFA 2003 is a step up, but I'm waiting for FIFA 2004 w/ Franchise mode. I hope there are some stats on it. I mean would it kill them to have assists and other stats available?

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree on all 3 points. I forgot about the features, i like the clip when the show bloopers of the game, thats creative.

I would love to see them show Goalie stats and assists, not to in depth but at least i can see how my players are doing against others. Im very excited about Franchise mode, it will bring a new aspect to soccer games that will make it more fun then before.