Best/Worst Team Badges/Logos

Discussion in 'Germany' started by The Friendly Ghost, Aug 28, 2007.

1. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
  2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
  3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    In case of Wolfsburg, castle would be the right word. They get minus points for Wolfsburg castle having no actual merlons (iirc), though ;) (but there are some on the city shield).

4. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You must be kidding. That's a serious issue man, therefore let me tell you something: Your Attila has only been established as mascot two years ago. That bird might actually be in line with the Eintracht crest, but it's got absolutely no tradition whatsoever. Don't you dare decry our Hennes! ;) :D

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Duisburg's logo rocks. Most people here are way to critical, I like the simpleness of your avarage German logo.

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    But he's correct insofar as he would eat the goat, if given the chance...

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  8. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, some fans of the superstitious sort would probably even welcome that. Hennes VII. hasn't exactly been the most successful goat in our history. ;)

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, goats don't get THAT old anyway :D.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nothing against minimalism, it's actually great when done well, but most of those logos are just so boring. And I think the Duisurg logo would be much better if they would get rid of the Zebra.

11. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    no tradition? The eagle has been our crest since 100 years. How long has the goat been around?
    It just took a while for people to get the idea to bring in a living eagle... but now he's there and Hennes is history. :p --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOx08-FsO4&mode=related&search=
    (just imagine this was Hennes :D The size is about right)
    Its just too bad we cant let him fly around before the game like they do at Benfica. Our complicated roof structure and I guess also german laws wont let that happen...

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    But it's cute!

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Same here. As opposed to some Spanish or English clubs who try to make it look way too......royal?

Simple is memorable.

14. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    Agreed. Way too much going on in some logos. That's why I don't particularly like Stuttgart's logo--reminds me too much of an English or Spanish club logo.

15. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  16. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  17. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I plan on doing Zwei next month. I'll post here when I complete it.

18. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. $crooge

$crooge Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Mainz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My favourite: [​IMG]
    I like North American sports club logos and this one comes closest.

Worst by far: [​IMG]

20. $crooge

$crooge Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Mainz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Favourite 2. Liga: [​IMG]

Worst 2. Liga: [​IMG]

21. russ99

russ99 Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Chi-town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good:
    --------

1. 1860 - OK, I'm biased, but good design is good design. Too bad it's being ripped off by all sorts of cheap clothes designers.

2. HSV - This has to be one of the most recognized brands in football. I'd only wish they don't use the box-shape and keep it in it's diamondy glory. Don't ever change it!!

3. Bayer Leverkusen - Despite the corporate logo in the middle, I really like the stylistic work on the rest of the logo, especially on the lions.

4. Frankfurt - the best of the badge-shaped logos, with a very German eagle shape.

5. Stuttgart - the VfB typeface is beyond cool. I wish they kept the older one, more going on in the yellow field.

Hon. Mention: Unterhaching - Any football logo with a bobsled in it, is way cool by me!

Bad:
    ------

1. Werder - I really like diamond-shaped logos, but that "W" is beyond awful. Did the designer have any hint of typography? It looks like a 8 year old drew it and tried to force the letter into as much of the diamond as possible.

2. Duisberg - Bad on so many levels. The forced MSV letter combination and the funky 60s inspired zebra poking out with no apparent reason why.

3. Fürth - I know this is a combination of 2 clubs into one, but why not start from scratch. And what is that weird black and red hockey skate-looking thing?

4. Mainz - What's up with the big "Y"? Is there treasure buried under it?? I know it's an "M" but it looks like the combination of a Rubik's cube and the YMCA logo!

5. Osnabrück - Odd color, plain boring type and whoever came up with the VFL in the slanty boxes should have been fired!

Need updating:
    ---------------------

1. Bayern - I like the Bavarian flag field, but this looks like a bad 70s baseball logo.

2. FCN - I understand tradition, but this could be livened up substantially. Break out of the Helvetica box!

3. BVB - Another classic, same as FCN.

4. Cottbus - The East has fallen. No need for a communist-era logo anymore. Still, those Stasi hats are now high fashion. Ditto for Carl Zeiss.

5. Hertha BSC - The Flag doesn't really work in the circle, and neither does the funky type on the flag. Has the 70s baseball thing going too.

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I'm glad they didn't have marketing guys in the 1900s. What you describe as "good design" or a "very German eagle shape" are simply traditional heraldic animals dating back to (pre-) medieval times.

The Bayer Leverkusen logo is beyond pathetic, however. Horrible PR-firm faux-traditionalism.

23. russ99

russ99 Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Chi-town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I suppose you prefer the old "Aspirin tablet" Leverkusen logo, real "traditional". I merely stated that the current Leverkusen logo is an especially clever way of adding creative elements to an old stodgy corporate logo to modernize it for a football club.

Sorry, man. This is my career. I'm a designer, and I shun most forms and theories of modern "marketing" and especially the conformist thinking that goes with it. I appreciate old iconic imagery, but when it's left alone or done well and not just tacked onto a new flashy concept. The Leverkusen logo has done neither of these, as by the stylized look of the lions show that it's not intended to be a medieval iconic symbol.

Certainly fashions change, especially in logotype design, and these are just my educated opinions as a designer and a German football fan. I don't expect others to share them.

24. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As contradictory as this may sound coming from a Bayern fan, I have always loved anything with the Rampart Lion in it. That is why I love the 1860 München badge. Such a classic look and quite simple. Frankfurt is another one with some simplicity and the 'adler'. I don't mind Kaiserslautern with the badge look, but could use some symbolism.

I agree the Munich logo is in need of updating. I liked the old-school look they went to a couple seasons ago that was retro-60's looking.

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The 1990s logo wasn't their original logo either. The corporate logo on the other hand is indeed the traditional element on Leverkusen's logo, considering that it had been there since 1904. if something is traditional or not is completely unrelated to how it looks.

Those are stylized Bergische Löwen (although not entirely correctly done, but as the club calls them Bergische Löwen as well i'll ignore the missing crown) - a medieval heraldic animal. Most likely added to give it a more traditional look and do something against Bayer's plastic club image.