Best World Cup match performance ever.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Zlatko2010, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    What player did the best World Cup match performance ever? You can post 1 ,2 or make some rankings like top5 or top10. I would go with Maradona vs Belgium 1986. Scored 2 goals , could have been much more , completely dominated the match , it seemed like he was playing with a kids. I also like Florian Albert performance against Brazil in 1966, their defenders just didn't know how to approach him.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  2. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hmm few other worthy contenders can be.........

eusebio in the match : portugal vs north korea at the 1966 wc.
    when portugal was 3-0 behind scoring 4 goals for portugal

oleg salenko in 1994 russia vs cameroon scoring 5 goals.

but also holland vs argentina 4-0 in the 1974 wc and then the performance by willem van hanegem.
    he did not score a goal that game but in my eyes he was the man of the match.
    very very very good performace by van hanegem.

3. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Good ones. Rossi against Brazil in 1982 probably also should be there.

4. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Belanov agaisnt Belgium in 1986, even though the Soviets lost...
    Baresi in the 1994 final shutting Romario down, maybe?

EDIT: not contenders for best ever though, just real good ones...

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    RoyOfTheRovers and Zlatko2010 repped this.
  6. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    If not a missed penalty this one would have been regarded really high

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here's another contender:

laudrup_10 repped this.
  8. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England

good one indeed. hagi great great player.

if hagi would have hade the workethics and rigth mentality he could have become as great as say platini

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I checked Baggio vs Czechoslovakia from 1990 and there is a video (couldn't find them for him for any 1994 game) - I don't think it's overall one of the best despite the great goal but it's interesting to see and he does have a few pieces of nice play too:

Zlatko2010 repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I like the 'unsung' heroes

11. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Maybe not the Best performance at WC level. But, the most legendary and shocking performance ever, imo.

Obdulio Varela in the Maracanazo. Owning not only the rival team, also 200k of furious people in the crowd!!! ;)

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A dozen of my all-time favorites, in chronological order:

Zico vs Argentina, WC82
    Rossi vs Brazil, WC82
    Maradona vs England, WC86
    Maradona vs Belgium, WC86
    Maradona vs Germany, WC86
    Maradona vs Italy, WC90
    Hagi vs Colombia, WC94
    Stoichkov vs Germany, WC94
    Baggio vs Bulgaria, WC94
    Okocha vs Spain, WC98
    Ortega vs England, WC98
    Ronaldinho vs England, WC02
    Zidane vs Brazil, WC06

laudrup_10 and Zlatko2010 repped this.
  13. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Making my day as usual.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :thumbsup: Glad to hear that!

15. sroy

sroy New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Pele against Sweden 1958, Rossi against Brazil 1982, Maradona against England 1986, Klinsmann against Holland 1990, Matthaus against Yugoslavia 1990, Salenko against Cameroon 1994, Butragueno against Denmark 1986, Belanov against Belgium 1986, Eusebio against North Korea 1966.

Zlatko2010 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I know that people point out that Zidane's 1998 World Cup was hyped because of his two headed winning goals, but he was on top form during the Final generally (not the best ever surely, but a very good one considering his goals and general play):

I also found one for Ronaldinho vs England:

btw some of the ones mentioned in the thread are available on Youtube as full games if anyone didn't know - Florian Albert in Hungary vs Brazil 1966 and Igor Belanov in USSR vs Belgium 1986 for examples. The same for Bobby Moore vs West Germany in 1966 which I think was a top performance generally with his assists as iceing on the cake, and Pierre Littbarski vs France in 1982. Brazil vs Sweden in 1958 is also available and Pele's performance individually I think (I just posted the one vs France in which maybe he was a bit more active but didn't score a masterpiece like against Sweden of course). I noticed Pele vs Czechoslovakia from 1970 was available too.

17. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Glad you did.
    The only player in the history of the WC to score a game winning goal and getting sent off in just under an hour. Stunning performance.

18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I though that one of the England's false wingers was the MotM in WC '66 final game.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think it may have been Alan Ball yeah. He certainly had a tireless game and produced the run and cross for Hurst's 'was it a goal?' goal. The other false winger Martin Peters scored a goal and played pretty well too. I do think Moore had a great game though and he might have been my choice for Man of the Match, having viewed the full game a couple of times (on TV, with in game comments from George Cohen and Martin Peters in a studio, but I assume the version below is complete):

Here's the Brazil vs Sweden game from 1958 while I'm posting videos:

20. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Beckenbauer in the 1974 World Cup final deserves a mention. Is there a Youtube Clip available with everyone of his scenes? Like there are for van Hanegem, Overath etc?

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No, but there are these performances (haven't watched them myself yet although I've seen extensive highlights of the England 1970 game and mini highlights of the 1966 USSR game before):

Which performance would you say is his best in the World Cup? He made some good passes and some good defensive actions vs the Dutch in 1974. I thought maybe he played better going forwards in the 1972 Euros eg in the Final.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Not necessarily the best, vs Greece was maybe better but that was a weaker opponent and isn't on youtube, but the last ever performance of Maradona on a World Cup stage is good to remember. Was of course tested positive on a number of banned substances afterwards but still a very good and moving video.

United_xxx repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Another one worth mentioning is the display of Stojkovic (and compatriots like Susic etc) against Spain and later Argentina, which they undeservedly lost (Rothlisberger...).

Stojkovic was definitely a decisive element and that while Yugoslavia lacked traditionally really good cohesion.

Oh, and Boniek vs Belgium made a big impact in the low countries at that time. Many kids wanted to be Boniek on the playground around that time - no joke or made up testimony.

Zlatko2010 repped this.
  24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  25. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich