Best World Cup Goals of the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Joe_Sanchez, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Persian_Prince

Persian_Prince New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    USA
    Actually that ball hit his hand on the way in, but the ref didn't see it. So in my book that goal can't qualify as a quality goal, since it went in illegally.

2. Persian_Prince

Dec 15, 2005
    USA
    I agree. That was the most replayed miss in WC history.

3. Persian_Prince

Dec 15, 2005
    USA
    I don't know if this one has already been mentioned: Tomas Brolin's goal (Sweden) against Romania in the quarter finals of the '94 WC. Off a free kick, the ball was sent behind the wall, where Brolin turned and placed the ball perfectly past the Romanian keeper. Absolutely brilliant.

4. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Thank you!

Bergkamp's first touch on that ball may be one of the most inventive I've ever seen. The pass is brilliant, but DB's little bump into the turf over the defender's right leg was pure genius.

5. Robert Lanza

Robert Lanza Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I have this goal on tape. It was in a video montage NBC showed prior to the opening game of WC 86. It was not in a World Cup, but it was clearly W. Germany (the opponent escapes me as the tape is broken and I'm working on getting it repaired) circa early '80s. The attacker resembles Klaus Fischer. but perhaps a tad bigger. It was thunderous bike from the 18 - nothing like the more famous biked goal Fischer scored in the WC 82 semi v France.

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Torre Andre Flo's goal against Brazil in 1998 was amazing.

Also, same World Cup, Blanco's goal against Belgium was really nice.

7. n.waleed

n.waleed New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    zico didnt score that day .. socrates and eder scored in a 2-1 victory
    i think you meant zico free kick against scotland in a 4-1 game

8. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, he's got the wrong opponent, but I don't think he meant to say FK. I think he's right about Zico scoring a scissor kick in 1982. Against NZ, maybe.

9. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Ah yes, that is definitely the greatest goal I've ever seen at any level. I'm sure if this goal was scored by a more well known player from a traditional world power it would be ranked higher in peoples' books.

Look at the goal, they half-volley the ball back and forth to one another in the midst of defenders just inside the penalty area. I think they could try this a 1000 times and never get it right again. Yes there are individual run goals & and long range strikes, but I am convinced that I don't think I will ever see a goal like this (Negrete's) again.

10. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    That's true. Most of the times I've seen this goal on TV or compilations, they only show the final scissor kick, but the build up is awesome as well. High pass to Negrete, he controls the ball amazingly then passes it to Javier Aguirre(?), who volleys it back, then Negrete finishes it spectacularly. A beautiful, --and I agree somewhat underrated-- goal.

Download Negrete's goal

11. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Hong Myung Bo's goal against Germany back in 94? that was some power he had, and hes not even a forward..

12. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Park Ji Sung's goal against Portugal 2002.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mentioned that before in the thread. He took the ball and unleashed a rocket from thirty yards that was unstoppable.

14. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
  15. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a handful of old goals tapes, and have traded copies of one of mine for copies of one of yours with several other big soccer posters....

My "All the goals of World Cup 1982" "All the Goals of World Cup 1986" and All the goals of World Cup 1990" fit in nicely with this thread.

I also have the Brazil-Peru Semifinal from 1970 and the World Cup Final Brazil-Italy 1970.......

Don't bother PM'ing, use usa1950@usa.com.

I specifically would like all the goals from 1994, as well as 2002 if they are out there.

However, if anyone has the official 2005 Liverpool Champions League Final video/DVD, I will copy my entire collection, drive it to your house, wash your car, babysit your kids, you can then kiss my wife, and we'll call it even.

Bryan in Indianapolis, IN

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was definitely against New Zealand. I've got that goal on tape.

17. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    1998 WC SF - France:Croatia
    Thuram's second goal is one of my favorites. He had this look, like he was pissed over playing Suker onside and decided "I'm going to win this match for France". Incredible tackle+shot after the 1-2 attempt.

18. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I liked Maradona's goal in 86....Borgetti's in 02 against Italy...and Owen's in 98

19. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    Where to begin is not the question beacause for me its preety obvious: Maradona's second goal against England in 1986 is simply genius. I can watch it over and over without getting bored.

The question is who else, and here are my answers in chronological order (most of them mentioned before but what the heck i'm just pointing out my favourites):

1978 Brazil versus Italy. Nelinho launches a screamer from the side of the box. It stops in the far top-corner. Wonderful strike

1978 as well. Netherlands faces Italy and the italian goalkeeper faces a long distance blast from Arie Haan. Its too much for him

Another one from 1978. Peru - Scotland and a great free kick. Cubillas takes a shot with the outter (is that how you spell it?) part of his foot and finds some space between the wall and the closer post

1982 France plays Austria. Free kick for France. Genghini steps up and puts the ball in off the post just under the bar with the austrian goalkeeper kissing that post a bit lower ;) One of the best free kicks I've ever seen

1986 Mexico versus Bulgaria and one of my personal favourites. Wonderful volley from 16m out struck by Negrete. This one is a must see

1986 as well. Brazil versus N. Ireland (but I'm not sure) and another wonderful blast by a Brazilian. Josimar curls it in the top corner from ca. 20 meters

1986 and another one from the genius. Maybe as not impressive nor important as the one against England but still a wonderful solo run by Maradona. He makes this look so easy. Belgian defenders looked like children lost in a fog.

1990 Italy - Czech Rep. Another unforgetable one - Roberto Baggio's solo run. He does everything he wants with the defence.

1994 going once - Owarian (Saudi Arabia) v. Belgium. Another solo. Everyone knows what I'm talking about

1994 going twice - USA against Switzerland. Wynalda steps up to take a free kick and puts it perfectly in the top corner.

1994 aaaaaaand sold ;) - saved my favourite from that World Cup for last. Romania faces Colombia. Simply wonderful long distance shot by Hagi from the left wing. The ball curls away fron the goal but lands in the far top corner, over the goalkeeper

P.S. A bit older (1970) but I have to mention it - Brazil - Italy in the final and a goal by Carlos Alberto. Love the build-up on this one, and than he just appears out of nowhere on the right side of the box and finishes it :)

20. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
  21. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    There is one goal I've only heard about but never actually seen. In fact Ken Aston voted this as the greatest goal he's ever seen at the World Cup. A goal scored by Belgian Frank Vercauteren vs. Paraguay in WC86.

Can anyone tell me about this, or have footage of it?

22. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In 1994 there was a Saudi player who scored a beauty like Maradonas run in 1986 it was awesome , anybody remember his name or the game??

23. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Saeed Owairan, Saudi Arabia x Belgium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saeed_Owairan

24. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Saeed Al-Owairan, KSA v BEL 29.06.94

And it was mentioned here before.

25. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing to me how many people can't do the math to figure out we're talking 1986 to 2002.

Baggio's other goal versus Bulgaria where he lets the ball loop over him and then he hits it first time inside of the post is brilliant.