Best World Cup Goals of the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Joe_Sanchez, Dec 21, 2005.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    That one was excellent as well as Igor Belanov's blast in Mexico '86.

2. Triphat

Triphat New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Red and Blue Land
    Hagi's goals vs Columbia in 94 is up there too.

3. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    If an English player scored that goal they'd be talking about it for a million years.

4. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    yes i like that one

5. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bergkamp against Argentina
    Owen against same
    Mcbride against Portugal
    Petite(sp?) against Brazil

6. Campagnolo

Campagnolo New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi, this is my first post!

1) Maradona against England Team in 1986 Mexico CUP
    2) Ronaldinho Gaucho for Brazil against England Team in 2002 Corea/Japan CUP

:)

7. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If I recall correctly, in the previous match vs. Yugoslavia, Frank DeBoer hit a pass from almost same spot to almost same spot, where Bergkamp was.
    He trapped it just like vs. Argentina, he jinked the defender, but
    when he cleared him, there was another Yugoslavia defender to boot the
    ball away.
    In the Argentina match, there wasn't. That was the difference.
    But the play is almost identical. Maybe after the Yugoslavia match
    they thought, "we're onto something here, let's try this one more time
    against Argentina.

Another great goal not mentioned here is Frank Vercauteren's goal in 86
    vs. Paraguay, chipping the ball with outside of his left foot, seemed like
    everyone was just frozen.

8. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Other ones that haven't been mentioned, but that I've always liked, are:

-Emmanuel Amunike's diving header against Bulgaria in 1994.

-Maradona v Italy in 1986, first round. Not the most spectacular, but a great finish.

-Amin? from Saudi Arabia v Sweden in 1994 eightfinals.

9. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    Beckham's freekick against greece during the last seconds of stoppage time is noteworthy

10. Joe_Sanchez

Joe_Sanchez New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    England
    That was awesome, but Becks' freekick was in England's final qualifying game, and therefore isn't really a world cup goal.

11. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well considering that all i remember is 1998 and 2002 WC i guess im too young for this thread :( oh well ill take my business elsewhere....

12. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    21 years ago, John Barnes

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will add a few:

1990 Matthaues Germany vs Yugoslavia
    1990 Brehme Germany vs Holland
    1986 Belanov USSR vs Belgium
    1986 Elkjaer Denmark vs Uruguay
    1986 Maradona vs Belgium
    1994 De Boer? Holland vs Saudi Arabia
    1994 Maradona Argentina vs Greece.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm seems like pretty much everyone's got it covered so far... just a few I'd add....

WC 98 R1 - first round Cameroon - Austria - I remember some Cameroonian guy - can't remember his name though - scored off a good solo run from the left, taking on about 2-3 defenders

WC 98 R2 - Argentina vs England - Everyone talks about Owens goal but Argentina's second deserves some credit here too. I think it was Zanetti who scored off a well taken free kick.

WC 94 QF- Sweden - Romania. A copycat goal of the one mentioned above - Thomas Brolin scored off a well taken free kick. Player lined up for a shot but instead hit a hard low pass to the right of the wall where Brolin turned and fired into the roof of the net

WC 94 WF - Bulgaria - Germany - surely someones mentioned this??!! Stoichkov's freekick and Lechkov's diving header were both class.

WC 90 R1 - W.Germany - Yugoslavia. Fantastic goal. Lothar Mattheus picks the ball up at the halfway line, skips past two defenders before unleashing a 25 yard thunderbolt into the bottom corner.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was a funny moment.

That was good goal, Maradona scoring from a very tight angle.

Has anyone seen South Korea's consulation goal against Italy at Mexico 86? From what I've heard, it was scored from a tight angle and the South Koreans were 3-1 down.

Another two that I want to mention:

- Uwe Bein for West Germany against UAE at Italia 90. It was a first-time volley from outside the box.

- Florin Radacioiu for Romania at USA 94 against the Swedish. The Romanians are 1-0 down and a free-kick is taken by Romania. Radacioiu, who is in the penalty box, gets hit on the knee by the free-kick. In a split second, he swings at the ball and scores. It was one of those moments involving very quick reacting.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How about Klinsmann's self-volley in 1994. I remember him popping the ball up in the air off a too-hard pass and then volleying the shot home.

Sachin

17. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    I liked Borgetti's goal against Italy in 2002. Header from some distance with his back to the goal, and he was twisting in the air to get the right angle.

18. rooney9

rooney9 New Member

May 28, 2005
    derby, england
    it pains me to say it ..BUT that cheating barstool maradona,s second goal against us in mexico 86 IS THE BEST.. end of .. :mad:

19. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    yeah that was a great goal.. but another one was in 98 vs iran.. where he headed the ball in from a deflection... i thought that was amazing myself.

20. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    Great thread with some great goals from over the years.........

Guys, can you help me out with the following ?? It took place in a match between Mexico and Germany, perhaps in the early 80's. It was pouring rain and the Germans were flying down the wing when a service ball was sent into the top of the 18..... A German striker on a dead-run does a 180 and bicycles the ball into the net............... Need help finding video of it.

What game, what year ??? Thanks.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Marcelo Balboa's bicycle kick against Colombia was a couple of inches to the right, that would have been one of the best goals seen in the world cup over the last 20 years or so. I remember that happening, we were already 2-0 up and was like "geeze... if that had gone in, that would have been a goal that they would have talked about for years to come." Paul Caligiuri got a nice goal vs. Czechslovakia in 1990 but we still lost 5-1 :( . I also quite liked Ronaldo's flying volley vs. Turkey in the first round in 02 - his goal in the semi-final against the same opponents was also pretty cool. Borghetti's goal for Mexico vs. in 02 Italy was really something else - I think something like the entire team touched the ball in a passing movement that ended with Borghetti heading in - beautiful stuff.

There were certain games, like Uruguay - Belgium 1990, Romania - Sweden 94, England - Argentina 98, etc. which produced several great goals in one match.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    FIFA has some great videos.

Just click on the greatest goals. They had a vote on this before the last World Cup. Maradona's goal won...and I think like Pele's goal in 58 came in second or something. They have tons of goals there. Like 15-20 or something.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was a quality goal. I was watching a clip of that last night.

There was another game which had lots of quality goals was Spain vs South Korea from Italia 90, when the Spanish won 3-1 and Michel got a hat-trick.

Pele's goal in 58 was third. Owen's goal at France 98 came second. What a crap choice for second! I've seen 50 World Cup goals that were better. He only got those votes because he is English.

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought Zanetti's goal on the same match was better. It is rare to see a well-organzied free-kick in the WC Finals.

25. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    zubi done spain no favours with his performance in that game. the own goal was comical to say the least.