Best World Cup Goals of the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Joe_Sanchez, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Joe_Sanchez

Joe_Sanchez New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    England
    Surely Maradona.

Others that need a mention:

Owen
    Bergkamp
    Platt

wasn't there a brilliant Saudi goal a few years back?

2. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Against Belgium in '94. Said Owairan I think.

3. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Baggio's goal against Czechoslovakia in 1990 was spectacular.

Brehme's goal against Holland (again in 90) was very nice as well.

4. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the first to mention Negrete from Mexico in 1986 is a Yank?????

5. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I forgot about Negrete's volley, it was a thing of beauty.

6. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It wasn't in the run of play, but Eric Wynalda's free kick against Switzerland was one of the nicest WC goals I've seen in the last 20 years.

Can't forget Maradona's second against England in '86. Owen's revenge in '98 was close to being as good.

7. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm assuming you're talking about the winner against Argentina in '98. His first two touches, bringing the ball down and then cutting back across the defender, were two of the classiest I recall. The finish was class too.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday Oliseh for Nigeria in 1998 over Spain...half-volley from 30 yards....i mean it was the coolest shot ive ever seen taken

9. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd best: Michael Owen vs Argentina also in 1998

10. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It was a great goal, but Zubi's bad reaction made it less appealing, unfortunately.

Great concept for a thread. The first WC I watched was Mexico86. I should be able to remember lots of great goals to discuss.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Wynalda's free kick against Switzerland was a brilliant kick. He had one spot to pick out and he hit it perfectly.

Bergkamp against Argentina(?) in 1998 is another one that comes to mind.

Sachin

12. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    These are great goals in world cups since 1986, IMO. In no particular order:

Maradona v England, 1986 quarterfinals
    Owairan v Belgium, 1994 first round
    Negrete v Bulgaria, 1986 eightfinals
    Wynalda v Switzerland, 1994 first round
    Hagi v Colombia, 1994 first round
    Maradona v Belgium, 1994 semifinals
    Maradona v Greece, 1994 first round
    Daniel Amokachi v Greece, 1994 first round
    Owen v Argentina, 1998 eightfinals
    Rats v France? 1986 first round
    Careca v France, 1986 quarterfinals
    Baggio v Czechoslovakia, 1990 quarterfinals
    Michael Laudrup v Uruguay 1986 first round
    Hagi v Argentina 1994 eightfinals
    Josimar v N. Ireland? 1986 first round
    Park Chang-sun v Argentina, 1986 first round (the celebration is one of the best ever too)
    Stoichkov v Germany, 1994 quarterfinals
    Freddy Rincon v Germany, 1990 first round
    Hwang Bo-kwan v Spain, 1990 first round
    Dennis Bergkamp v Argentina, 1998 quarterfinals
    Hong Myung-bo? v Germany, 1994 first round
    Branco v Netherlands, 1994 quarterfinals
    Jose Luis Sierra v Cameroon, 1998 first round
    Beckham v Colombia, 1998 first round
    Goran Vlaovic v Germany, 1998 quarterfinals

I probably forgot a couple of ones in 1986, a tournament that featured tons of beautiful goals.

13. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Nelinho vs Italy 78' I think...

14. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Baggio's goal vs. Spain in '94 was struck at almost an
    impossible angle. Class.

Another goal I love: Rivaldo vs. England at Japanorea.
    The work leading up to that, by Ronaldinho, was just
    fabulous.

15. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this doenst qualify as the one of the best ever, but Clint Mathis' goal against S. Korea. I dont even think he aimed, just a one touch spin....brillant finish

16. Joe_Sanchez

Joe_Sanchez New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    England
    I'd forgotten about some of them, man I love the world cup.

Judging by responses so far, there weren't many great goals in Japan/Korea (I was in Ecuador and didn't get to see many games).

17. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Saeed AlOweirans goal, beautiful how he dribbled through almost the entire Belgium and scored, besides hes not considered one of the 'top' Saudi players, he was a normal NT player and that goal made him very popular.

18. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The Brazil x England game in Japan/Korea had some nice goals.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    for 2002:

Dario Rodriguez, Uruguay-Denmark

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll mention some that haven't been mentioned yet:

-Andreas Ogris for Austria at Italia 90 against the US. After a US corner, the Austrians clear the ball forward, Ogris picks up the ball just before reaching the halfway line, makes a pacy run on the left wing, shaking two defenders off on the way and once he enters the penalty box, he chips the ball over Tony Meola.

-Sergei Aleinikov for the Soviets against Hungary at Mexico 86. The USSR launch a quick counter-attack, then a Soviet striker about 20 metres out of the penalty box, gently deflects the ball backwards. Out of nowhere comes Aleinikov who runs at pace and thumps the ball into the net.

-Tomas Brolin at Italia 90 against Brazil. Sweden are 2-0 down and Stromberg, on the right wing, picks up a long ball from Thern. Stromberg calmly strides forward, centres a high ball which is deflected by Thern's head. The deflected ball comes into the path of Brolin, who turns, beats Ricardo Gomes and shoots calmly past Taffarel. It was a consulation goal but it was a good one. His celebration was better, which resulted in him doing a 360 turn and pointing an arm in the air at the same time.

-Enzo Scifo's long range effort from 25 yards for Belgium against Uruguay at Italia 90.

-Pablo Bengoechea for Uruguay in the game mentioned above. Uruguay take a corner which loops over everyone in the box. Hugo de Leon, who is at the far post, controls the high ball with his right foot, then in an instant, he crosses with his left foot. Running into the box is Bengoechea, who jumps and with a powerful shot from the side of his right foot, scores.

-Vasili Ratz for the USSR against France in 1986. A thunderbolt from 30 yards.

-Josimar's goal against Poland in 1986. Dribbled about three defenders then he scored from a very tight angle.

-Salvatore Schillaci scored with a long-range shot on his non-preferred left foot for Italy versus Uruguay in 1990

-Ilie Dumitrescu's free-kick for Romania at USA 94 against Argentina. From the left-wing, near the corner flag, he kicks the ball from his right foot high and long into the penalty box. Instead of just looping over the players, it loops over the Argentinian goalie Islas and into the far post. The most spectacular free-kick I've seen scored at a World Cup.

-Jurgen Klinsmann for Germany against Belgium at USA 94. Voller plays a 1-2 with Klinsmann and Voller makes a run forward. Voller runs too far forward and he isn't sure if either he or a Belgian defender will get the ball. Klinsmann gets the ball and with the first touch, places his diagonal shot from his left foot past Preud'homme.

-Roberto Baggio's first goal against Bulgaria in the USA 94 semi-final. Baggio recieves the ball from a throw-in on the left wing, beats two defenders and curls a right-foot shot past goalie Mihaylov from outside the penalty area.

21. spencercs

spencercs New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    London

Yep nail on head no other goal i've seen compares

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hong Myung Bo for South Korea against Germany in World Cup '94. He just took the ball from 30 yards out and unleashed a rocket.

23. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Don't forget Frank De Boer's 60-70 meter pass to Dennis' right foot. Outstanding.

24. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Some oldie classics:

Holland vs. Italy (Argentina 1978)
    Arie Haan took the ball on the left side of the pitch, and punted it with such awesome accuracy that it was like watching an arrow being launched into Dino Zoff's upper left hand corner of goal.

Brazil vs. USSR (Spain 1982)
    Zico's wonderful "chilena" (or scissor-kick) goal. Absolutely textbook.

West Germany vs. Yugoslavia (West Germany 1974)
    Paul Breitner launched a dipping shot from midfield ... and scored! Words can't really describe this one. Lothar Matthaus scored a long range goal against Yugoslavia in Italia'90 but Breitner's had the better look on television.

25. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I remember the ball hitting the bottle inside Preud'homme's goal.

Raul's against Nigeria in 98 deserves a mentioion (although was shadowed by Oliseh's). A long ball and a half-volley first touch shot.