Best way to send $500 to Australia?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by FearM9, Nov 16, 2004.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So as a wedding gift, my mom and I have decided to fork over $500 to the lucky bride and groom. Problem is...we're in Idaho and they are in Melbourne. I'm just damn glad I ain't going to Oz for a DAMN long time...what a waste of my time and $$$ last year...but I digress....

So what would be the best way of doing this?

Travelers checks?

A money order?

Cash!?!?!?

And regardless of what form of currency I choose...what would be the best way to send it...air mail? UPS/FedEx?

2. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    How about Western Union?

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You sent them by cash to me. I will think a way to send them to Australia.

Some foreign banks charged service charge for cashing money order.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Melbrown said.

My mother does it, when she's sending me "gift" money, like she does for me every birthday and Christmas.

Can't go wrong with Western Union...

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do they have to go pick it up from some office though? If it were me, I'd probably mail a traveler's check.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, they would. But there are pickup points all over the country, such as at any Australia Post office location-- and they're all over Melbourne (which suits FearM9's needs quite well here).

Western Union's Aussie homepage

You can search for locations on that link.

There's also a small fee that goes on a sliding scale according to the amount you send, so in that respect, perhaps sending a money order or a check might be preferrable (even if it takes a fortnight to get over here from the USA).

Calculate money transfer options (WU's U.S. site)

Based on that link, it costs $43 USD to send $500 USD from California (fees from your state may vary). Current exchange rates are also listed via that link as well.

Hope this helps! :)

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I've never used Western Union before...

So if I was to go this method...it looks like I can do this online...but do I have to state a specific location for the recipient to get the $ or can this person go to any Western Union in Melbourne to get it just as long as they have the relevant info from me?

Thanks.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can pick it up at any WU receiving location in Melbourne. Or anywhere within the state of Victoria (or the whole of Australia), for that matter.

Last May, for example, my mother sent me some birthday cash, stated on the form that I live in Bacchus Marsh (which is about 35-40 minutes from Melbourne's CBD). I wound up picking it up in Werribee, which is midway between Bacchus Marsh and Melbourne.

So as long as you relay the pertinent info, your mate should be OK with that.

No worries. :)

9. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Isn't cash the best bet, even if a little risky? The strength of the £ is supposedly giving good exchange rates!