Best USA player I have seen in MLS this year: Klein

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am no Wizards fan, but if I ask who has impressed me the most in all the games I have seen, and warrants the big call to USMNT: Chris Klein. He is an animal-huge, strong, fast, pretty skilled and the sucker has an excellent shot. I am not saying he has a position on the flank locked up, but someone will have to work VERY hard to beat him for the slot.

2. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    I watched Chris play all four years at IU, and was always impressed by the technical abilities he posseses, while being of such an imposing size......he is a REALLY big man. I don't know what has held him back from breaking in with the national team.....I also would hesitate to call him a lock, but he can definately kick that midget Coby Jones' ass up and down the right side of the field.

That's it...my USA National team philosophy in a nutshell, PLEASE DEAR GOD GET COBI OFF OUR TEAM!
    AMEN

3. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein was in, getting a start in the final critical game at Barbados in the first round of qualifying. Also played well in a friendly against Mexico (Landon's first cap), but a knee injury cost him his chance. He is really just now coming back into that form. In the future, when we have the likes of Klein & Suarez, we will be able to physically dominate, and have the "dance" of the game, with skill of Donovan, Beasley etc.

James

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    hey, Cobi has been a valuable player for the USA for a long time and had an excellent World Cup so give the man his props. That said, it is not an issue. Cobi is in his 30s, Klein is what, 25? Also, given the number of good, small players the USA has, we need a few big men to bring some power to the offense AND defence. Klein is a beast.

5. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Klein is 26. :)

What am I doing up at midnight on Monday writing about Chris Klein? :(

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    with Sanneh, Pope and McBride on the wrong side of 30 in 2006, we will need some big tough guys in our line-up, especially against Euro teams. Chris is a tough guy who can play.

7. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Another factor is that there are continually more and more players who still contribute at later ages now. 30 isn't as old as it used to be in football. Training and diet regimens have made careers more productive for a longer time. I think this will continue as nutrition and training advances keep getting better. Klein would be a nice addition to the pool IMO.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Klein is good, but I think Ruiz and Twellman deserve to be 1-2 in player of the year voting as far as MLS players. Nat team consideration is something different all together, but I have no problem with Klein getting some friendly game action in the off season.

9. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be fair, Klein has only recently started to get hot. He was not impressive earlier in the year. He needs to improve on his crossing, but other than that, he has all of the physical tools and skills to do something productive with the US.

Recently he's been playing an attacking right back position in a 442, and pretty much has to work the entire right flank so he's definitely a horse.

10. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Klein rules, and deserves a chance, but.....

ahem....nick garcia.

11. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

I'm not too impressed with Klein as the man is quite slow for international competition, but he can help the team when brought in for the last 15 mins or so.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Klein's one big drawback. Slow speed of play. This comes from several factors, including speed of thought, foot speed, quickness, and ball control. Hopefully he will learn to play a little faster, as MLS pace doesn't cut it at the international level.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he doesn't look slow to me. And those other guys play different positions and are much smaller. If the USA team is not to be the Lilliputians, we need some horses.

14. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Chris is a very good player and should be playing a lot for USA, he is by far the best Wiz player and personally the best pure rightsided mid fielder in America. He has size, touch, vision and pace to help USA...also he's a lot faster than people think

15. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    I always thought Klein would be a nasty outside back in Arena's attacking 4-4-2. Guy's huge, you forget when he's on TV but every time he comes to New England it's striking how big he is.

He could develop in the Sanneh mold... big winger converted to defense to better utilize physical attributes but still brings the ball up extensively. Question is (probably best answered by KC fans), how's his defense?

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The emphasis should be on pure rightsided midfielder -- Arena, unlike traditional American coaches, does not reserve a position for a "pure" left or right midfielder.

As the previous poster notes, right back appears to be a better fit in Arena's system.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I can't agree. He is pretty damn effective in midfield. As a Revs fan, I can tell you that one of the worst sights to see is Klein rumbling down the wing with the ball. He is NOT going to be stopped by a little shoulder charge either. You either need a two-footed tackle or an elephant gun!

18. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His defence is allrigth, but really his main strength is playing a pure mid position. a few times he covers as a right outside back, but realy, his main effectivness comes from midfield.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In MLS that is. On the international level, whether he has the ability to be an effective midfield attacker is yet to be determined. And in Arena's systems, midfielders can attack down the wings but they better be able to operate in the middle as well.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against Germany, we started Frankie Freakin' Hejduk at RWB.

I've long thought Klein was a tweener, so now that Bruce has discovered the 3-5-2, maybe he can be our right wingback. He won't have any responsibilities toward the center, but he'll have alot of defensive AND offensive responsibilities on his side.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so who HAS proven themselves and is under 28?

22. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I liked the guy that jumped onto the field during the rain delay at the All-Star game and shanked the ball wide of the open net.
    the mooner also looked pretty impressive as well.

23. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Um - those Lilliputians got us to the quarters ... but I think I get your point. This thread is all about size??!!

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Superdave -- Arena played the 3-5-2 years ago with DCU and at the beginning of his Nats run. Arena has always known of and considered the 3-5-2, it's just a question of what he thought was the best use of personnel considering the personnel available and the opponents. There is very little difference between a 3-5-2 and a 4-4-2 the way Arena plays them.

Bruce S -- not sure that I implied that other candidates under 28 are more proven than Klein at the international level, but sticking to guys that can play some type of right-sided midfield role, I believe that Donovan, Kirovski and Ben Olsen have proven themselves to be offensive threats on the international level, to varying degrees. In the few times Klein has played, he has not shown me much.

I guess my main point is that my current opinion is that he is not skilled enough to cut it internationally in a four man midfield. I am certainly open to the possibility that I am wrong. Now in a 3-5-2, Klein goes much closer to the head of the list as a right wingback.

25. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think someone mentioned that Klein's crosses aren't good, but I disagree, I think they're quite good, especially the low hard ones to the feet of onrushing attackers.

On the move, he's a hoss--great power and enough speed to at least use his leverage on a defender. Also tremendous stamina.

He's only vulnerable when he's not moving--it's his on-the-ball skills that I think need a little more work. I've seen him dispossessed with some frequency at the top of the box by a double team if he doesn't cross immediately. Shielding, subtle chips, back heels, all the delicate touch things in the attack he's not as good at.

He's better either taking it to the line and getting in a cross/winning a corner kick, or taking it inside and letting rip far post with that cannon of a leg.