Best Striker of the past 25 years?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Following on from peeping the best XI of the last 25yrs thread and the arguements regarding the strikers, who would you say has been the best striker of this period?

Feel free to add your own if i miss your pick.

2. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    There are another 20 strikers who should be on that poll, but that's the shortlist so bleh

Lineker
    Kempes
    Klinsmann
    Platini

So on, and so forth.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Romario gets my vote - I didn't see enough of Van Basten to vote for him fairly.

4. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    You left Rummenigge out, a two time european player of the year!!(the world player award didn´t exist that time)

He scored 45 goals in 94 caps for germany, 8!!!! of them in a world cup.

He also made 162 goals in 310 games for Bayern Muenchen, 24 goals in 64 games for Inter Milan in Serie A and 34 goals in 50 games for Servette Genf.

He won a european championship and several club titles with bayern, national and international.

He was the best striker of his generation,during the ending 70´s and beginning 80´s and YOU left him out????

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Yep. see other. Not being 'cruel' but there's no way in hell he'd get enough votes to even come 5th in this. SO he's an other, as is Lineker another 80's great AND Platini...

6. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    But thats because people are too influenced by the present players. I think that people won´t call Weah, Batistua, Baggio or Raul one of the best ever in maybe 15years.
    I mean, Baggio isn´t even a striker!
    He is an offensive mid, and Raul has to move to another country than Real to show that he is realy that great people think. I mean he is the only player you selected that never played in Italy, even if there is only one Italian. Spain is just not the country to figure out great strikers, cause it is too easy to score there.

If you make such a selection for you´re poll, you better should call it "Best striker of the past 10 to 15 years".

Then it would fit, but not the way you did!

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  8. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Roberto Baggio.

9. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    If your theory was correct then the 'other' box would have been ticked more then once or twice!

Baggio was a support striker for most of his career not an offensive midfielder. I was going to put up another thread with the best support strikers/no.10's of the past 25years but then that leads to other problems and a belittling of the number 10.

The 80's aren't remebered for great strikers, not in terms of the 'all-time' scale anways. That's why i didn't feel it 'correct' to put any up. That's what the 'other' box is for. The 80's as the decade of the midfielder plus Zico.

If anything Zico should be there in place of Weah..not Weah for Ruminegge.

11. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Because of what?

What was his best place in a WC? How many goals in a WC made Zico?

Just for you: Rummenigge: 9goals 19 WC games and was two times runners up.

Zico:5 goals in 14 WC games and became third in 1978.

So what makes Zico better? His 0 club titles in europe maybe? or his 0 international titles with Brazil?

Oh, now I understand! You rate Zicos Beach-soccer career higher than his Field-soccer career, right?
    Yeah, that makes it obvoius! He is a two time World Champion!!!! Man, I never saw it that way.....

12. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/rumnigge.html
    VS.
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/zico.html

During the two of the world cups Rumminigge came off the bench most the time--being hampered by injuries. This may be a reason people don't remember him as much. Zico's career is impressive despite not having a big European career, Rumminigge himself did not do all that well outside of Germany in club play. Zico averaged 2.8 games per WC goal while Rumminigge averaged 2.11
    Still, two European player of the year's is an impressive achievement for Rumminigge..

13. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    You´re not a big number in mathematics, eh?

Rummenigge has a scoring rate in WC-games of 0.47, while Zico´s is 0,36.

And Rummenigge scored in the game that is considered as the best ever, the 1982 semifinal between Germany and France, where he made the 2:3 in OT, just after coming from the bench.

So how can you NOT remember this game????

14. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Sorry, he scored every 2.11 games, and Zico scored every 2.8 games. :rolleyes:

15. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    What the fuck are you talking about?? Dick. I didn't say he didn't have great games, I DID say he came off the bench to score (which he did), which often times can inflate someone's score tally because they are fresh and the defenders are tired.

16. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Wow, you must be a very poor man if you react in such a pathetic way........

You wrote that people don´t REMEMBER him much, but anyone who remembers this game MUST remember Rummeigge cause he decided the game!
    The french defeinitly do so...:D

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I know Ruminegge stats very well thank ya very much :D doesn't change a thing tho. He's a legend in German footballing history. On the all-time history of the game he's an afterthought. Notice you're the only one defending him? And where are you from?.....ok then!

If you wish to post up a Zico vs Rumenigge thread you will find 'your' man heavily crushed. To be remebered as a great number 10 in Brasilian football history is probably one of the highest achievements in the game. Germany have had some great foward but not as many as Brasil.

Being arguably the second best German striker behind Gerd Muller is great. Being a legendary number 10 for Brasil is exceptional same as if this poll was about best defenders..I wouldn't put the Brazilian on par with the German because Brazil haven't produced as many great defenders as Germany.

I find it laughable that you seem to not give any merit to those who didn't play in Europe. Back then not every south american had to, or needed to go to Europe to prove jack sh!t. That is a far more recent requirement then the early 80's ...next thing you're gonna say Pele's club achievements count for nothing because they were all at Santos right? :rolleyes:

Obviously Karl Heinz is a hero to you. You should leave it at that or make another poll and see how he fares...

18. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Oh, so why do you compare a number 10-type plyer to a striker?

And I so hate this shite.
    Why are Brazilians always rated higher than Europeans, even if they don´t win anything??

And that thing with best defenders is absolutely wrong.
    The best players germany produced were or are central midfielders. There is NO nation in the world that has such a tradition in that position.

I mean look at this list:
    Netzer, Stielicke, Bonhof, Matthäus, Ballack, Overath, Fritz Walter, Beckenbauer(in his first 5/6 years), Breitner, Schuster, Littbarski, Sammer(his first 5/6years), Effenberg...........

19. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    "Der widerspenstige Engel"

The best player in the world never to play in a World Cup IMO. Too bad he was so controversial and stubborn.

20. Di7seconds

Di7seconds New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Land of the Free!!!!
  21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Its damn near impossible for people to be objective over 25 years... but I guess its still a good idea... I am just 20 so I wont comment, however anyone who voted for Ronaldo over Romario should be shot... Ronaldo was great... Romario was made in the image of Pele... I would take a 31 year old Romario over a 27 year old Ronaldo.

22. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Because they also score goals or lead to the creation of them for the number 9. If this poll was just about raw goalscoring numbers and nothing else it's look very different.

'Winning things' does not automatically make you great. I suppose in some instances it's used to concrete a players position in the echelons of time, but, sometimes even the very best are tainted with bad luck.

Brazilians are in no way rated higher than Europeans, if anything a Brazilian attacker has so much more to prove and better that it is hard for him to become rated..Look at Rivaldo..By European standards he's been a great player. In his homeland he's like a ghost, never mentioned for anything but criticism.

A good Brazilian defender however, will get alot more merit for a lesser achievement in Brazil then he would if he were European.

No doubt Germany are the all time leaders in that area of the pitch, but I was pointing out that they, along with Italy, have a reputation for fantastic defences with a converted central midfielder playing the sweeper role to perfection, the last of which was Sammer.

Brazil have no such illustrious history of producing marvellous defenders so if a good one was to emerge he would garner recognition as opposed to the same level of player appearing in Germany and immediately being compared to the likes of Der Kaiser, Sammer, Vogts etc, etc,

It is the exact same if the roles were reversed the very best German strikers wouldn't bat an eyelid to anyone familiar with Brazils illustrious history with regard to their strike power and reputation. Brzail seek more than just a goalscorer, they produce players that contribute to all areas of attack. Even Der Bomber didn't do that and he's an all timer...

23. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    What is it with you and this discussion? Romario was great but his game had absolutely nothing to do with Pele's type of game. Have you watched either of them play? Their styles are completely different. You are completely ignorant.

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    [​IMG]

Hugo Sanchez... :)

25. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Hey dude, you were the one getting worked up...plus I was up all night at work and wasn't really thinking very clearly. Now I can honestly say that you must be president of Rumminnigge's (what's with him having two of every consonant :D) fan club, and have a serious inferiority complex when it comes to Brasilian strikers. Zico is way better, and Germans suck. End of story.