Best Story of the WEEK 2021

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    MJ91 repped this.
  2. LongTimeLurker

Dec 24, 2019
  3. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  4. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    I've seen his creds before, but was lazy and didn't cross-check his bio vs. your previous posts... Figured it was a 50/50 shot... Bzzzzzz!

Yes! An earlier version of the competitive one is what i recall. I used a number of the AR tips as i started doing HS when some CR's had little-to-nothing for a pregame...

dadman repped this.
  5. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Just received new LS jerseys and an electronic whistle.

But wait, there's more!

Putting stuff away, I found in my ref bag an envelope with $30 from fall. At this rate, I just need...several more windfalls and I can make an extra mortgage payment!

6. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, check the car mats and seat cushions! :)

MJ91, voiceoflg, Pittsburgh Ref and 2 others repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was assigned to the Iowa-Minnesota women's soccer match in mid-March a couple of weeks ago as an AR. Yesterday, the location of the game was changed from Iowa City to the TBK Bank Sports Complex in my hometown of Bettendorf, Iowa. It's pretty cool to be working a Big Ten soccer match in my hometown. I don't get as much mileage for the game (unless they honor the mileage to Iowa City), but that's a minor issue. :D

jdmahoney, MJ91, IASocFan and 7 others repped this.
  8. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Way past you...that's how I could afford the jerseys and whistle!

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    When I got my first job, I was working at one of the Big 3 TV Networks and I was an assistant working with local TV stations all over the country. I had to figure out where Bettendorf Iowa was after your post. Quad Cities! WQAD! Rock Island-Moline-Davenport! Why are they called the quad Cities?

dadman repped this.
  10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, small world!

They are the Quad Cities because of Moline and Rock Island, IL and Davenport and Bettendorf, IA. Four cities sharing common borders (one of those being the Mississippi River). So the city you were missing is Bettendorf, which is the smallest of the four cities (but probably won't be for too long given how many people are moving there).

The TBK complex has a full-sized indoor field that is being used this late winter/early spring for a number of college matches. At least three different colleges will use the indoor field (I'm working at least one match for each of them), and in the past a fourth (Western Illinois in Macomb - about 90 minutes south of the Quad Cities) has played on the field as well.

One of the rotating banner photos for the complex shows a college match on the indoor field (the referees are in NISOA orange).

https://www.tbkbanksportscomplex.com/soccer/

dadman repped this.
  11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I did my first line in 11 months. HS BV. Everything else has been solos (including a BV solo), duals in HS or the whistle on a 3 man crew. It was grueling getting the legs to sidestep and then sprint hard and change direction.

MJ91 and dadman repped this.
  12. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Had my first game in 14 months this past Sunday. It was also my first Div 1 college whistle. Great to be back after such a long layoff.

13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    My first dual on a full size field ever was this week. I've done countless 9v9 and 7v7 duals in our local rec league. This game was supposed to have been Saturday but it got weathered out.

I'm trail, spectator's side. Middle school game, no scoreboard. My partner was experienced, so he took the coach's side and had the official time. I still used the timeout and wind the clock signals for practice. Not sure if both are supposed to do it, but better both than neither. I felt like a pure rookie out there, even though I have done USSF since 2014, but only one full size field game with the whistle.

So in the pregame, we agreed that no matter who sees the foul, you call it. 7-1 Black at half and the winning team is attacking in the 2nd half. White player pushes Black attacker from behind causing him to stumble. Right before he goes down, he toe-pokes the ball to a teammate, who dribbles past a defender and scores. I forgot to signal advantage, and a parent said the goal shouldn't count because I didn't signal advantage. o_O

After the game, my partner asked why I didn't card the defender. I said skill level, or lack thereof. It didn't stop the promising attack. In hindsight, I should have at least spoken to the player who pushed.

Considering it was middle school, what would you all have done?

dadman repped this.
  14. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Play advantage, watch the ball go in the net, point at the center and quietly give myself a high five for a goal off of advantage.

Cards from fouls in the middle no mans land are tricky. You may think it is worthy of one and your partner may not, or vice versa. Most of us in my area all know each other well enough that we would give similar cards. But either member of the crew could give it, especially in the middle. If your partner as asking you why you didnt, I would be curious why he or she didnt if they thought it was worthy of one.

MJ91, dadman, voiceoflg and 2 others repped this.
  15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    As I picture what you wrote, and assuming the HS rules for SPA are the same as FIFA, the no-caution sounds right to me. But I agree that a conversation with the pusher would have been appropriate. "That would have been a caution if he hadn't scored," can be a nice education piece for the kid.

MJ91, jayhonk, Pelican86 and 3 others repped this.
  16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The head of our state high school sports officials association is a former football official. He had the white hat for the BCS championship game about 10 years ago. We've been doing some pre-season on line training for our soccer officials, which he has been attending also virtually. He says that soccer is so far ahead of any of the other sports with our training that he wants us to do our pre-season clinic for the other sports' leadership, so they can see how to do it. Jokingly, he says that he thinks he's now ready to be 4th official for a high school state championship game. :) The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

A week from today, I'm doing a very cut down version of our pre-season clinic for the coaches. We need to get them on the same page with regard to NFHS rule changes for 2020-2021, Covid-19 protocols and responsibilities, a new eight goal mercy rule and a significant tightening of language rules. Not only red for offinabus language that is directed but "directed" has been expanded to include 'directed to a class of people.' Also, if a card is given for language, the referees are to ask both coaches to, briefly, address the topic of language with their teams, before we restart the game. And the meet with your team process is also to be done even if the referee didn't hear it but it was just reported to the referee by a player or coach.

dadman and gaolin repped this.
  17. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    This, this, a thousand times this

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  18. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Congrats and welcome!

Um

Made a note to self---next time, let the *other* guy take the fan side. MS games are the U10s of NFHS soccer: parents are plentiful, vocal, and unencumbered by any cognitive issues having to do with an excess of knowledge.

MJ91, Law5, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  19. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I believe I will next time. Since it was my first NFHS with the whistle, he thought it prudent to take care of the subs and coaches. The parents were good. Not abusive at all. Just either wrong, or very wrong.

Except one. A very nice grandmother of a player on the losing (White) team. After the game she asked what the score was. I said 9 to 1. She said "who won?" I said "Black." She said "I know nothing about soccer. I'm just here to support my grandson." A guy just down from her said even though she had a grandson on the team, she was there for the socializing...and nothing else. :D

MJ91, Pittsburgh Ref and dadman repped this.
  20. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know this is late... I passed my center assessment at Adult State Cup this past weekend. I got positive feedback on a couple of things I was working on in the fall (predicting the next phase of play and mixing talk with getting the ball in quickly for managing players).
    On Sunday morning my game ended up being a forfit. Since I wasn't going to get a workout in, I changed and ran the edge of the park to put in a 10k (I think it looked good to the people I want to look good for).
    Before I left the SRA gave me two things to work on, one being an old problem that has snuck back in, and gave me an invite for a summer event pending I don't crap the bed at Youth State Cup.

21. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my area, we switch who has the bench and spectators side each half so referee only has to deal with coaches or fans for half a game. We do stay near the same goal so you are basically running a different diagonal each half.

As for the timeout/wind the clock signal, here it is usually the official stopping or restarting the game that makes the signal. However, if the clock doesn't start/stop, the other official starts making the signal for emphasis.

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Run back to the center line pumping my fist like Mike Dean did several years ago. :D

In all seriousness, you did nothing wrong. Sometimes, things just happen quickly enough that you don't even have time for an advantage. The advantage signal is really more informational for everyone to say, "I saw the foul, but I'm intentionally not calling it." I had a game situation last fall where a player was fouled 25 yards from goal, but she passed to a teammate who immediately scored. I didn't give a loud advantage signal, but I did swing over to the coach before the kickoff to say I did see the foul but just didn't give the advantage signal because the goal happened so quickly. He understood.

As for your partner's comments, it's a good discussion point. In a dual, ideally you are having some sort of non-verbal communication (with comms) or verbal communication (with comms) to make sure you're on the same page. Pre-game is important here. In a dual pregame, I want my partner and I looking at each other on fouls to see if the other has any information (i.e. the hand over the badge for a caution and a hand on the back pocket for a send-off). If I'm using headsets, then I want the non-calling to give input if there's reason to think any misconduct is warranted.

Law5, dadman and MJ91 repped this.
  23. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    We try to mirror our partner's start/stop clock signal just after they start giving it... too many of our area's clock operators aren't always paying attention to the correct referee, or it's hard to see the lead down in a corner.

24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    A number of times, particularly in men's league games, I've seen a foul but I've also seen the ball squirt away to a teammate of the vic. I have had too many cases where I've called out "play on advantage" and the players stop, and particularly if I'm seeing a mad dash towards goal, I''m much more concerned about what happens to the guy who now has the ball. Ball goes in the back of the net, I make sure that I get close enough to the vic to quietly say, "play on advantage." "Yeah. Thanks, ref." Especially if he was squawking that I hadn't called the foul on him. Every now and then, there's someone who wants the foul called anyway, even after the goal. :) His (it's always a guy) teammates usually persuade him that, by a 10-1 vote, they want the goal instead of the foul. Once had a high school boys varsity game where the foul was in front of the vic's bench. Teammate with the ball takes off on a long run towards goal, but the vic was still protesting "you gotta call that!!!" So his coach, who is right there, is trying to loudly explain the concept of advantage to him, as I roar off towards goal.

25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    My Sunday college game was cancelled! Yay. Projected weather at kickoff was 36 degrees and snowing. "Oh, the weather outside is frightful....."