Best Story of the WEEK 2021

Discussion in 'Referee' started by IASocFan, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m pretty sure that my count is at 13 states right now. However, that’s probably where it will stay. I don’t travel nearly as much as I used to.

dadman repped this.
  2. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I thought about trying to do some reffing while traveling this summer. I wasn't sure how feasible it would be and whether it'd be worth the hassle of tracking down assignors, bringing my gear, etc. And the weather--oof. I was in the Dallas area for work a few summers ago and from where I was staying I could see a soccer complex with games going on in the middle of July. 100+ degrees? Not my ideal soccer weather.

Is it reasonable to think that in a typical metro area a grown man who's a grassroots ref could show up for a weekend and get a couple of U-whatever games in (even if there's not a big tournament)?

Alternatively, what would be the biggest tournaments in June-July that would be most likely to need refs?

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Quick technical question. But is it all states or soccer states?
    i.e. WNY, ENY, Cal-North, Cal-South?

I imagine it was more just the states.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  4. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I can help any with interest get games in PA-West!

Pelican86 repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Congratulations! Bill would never assign me even a weekend tournament when he was a local assignor. Glad to see you moving up. I wish you well.

6. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t forget Ohio North and South, and PA West and East.

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    And TX North and TX South

8. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    I don’t know about the biggest, but check out the USA Cup in Blaine, MN. International competition, international referee crews.

dadman repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun experience. Shockingly bad pay. So it depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

dadman and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    He did say MN was 30 out of 50.

IASocFan and frankieboylampard repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Refereed or assessed in Oregon, Washington, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, Massachusetts and (not a state) British Columbia.

IASocFan and gaolin repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be up there during the week of July 13 for that event! My son's playing with his Iowa East ODP team (even though we are now living in Des Moines, he's finishing the summer out with his East team), so I'll be picking up a few games around his schedule. EDIT - I have heard from others the pay isn't great, but still want the experience of working the event.

dadman repped this.
  13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The u10 game was solo, but all the players knew about the build-out line, so absolutely no issues in the 9-2 game. One of the rules I (and some of the players) didn't know about until yesterday was no heading in u12 games! The girls were u12 so familiar with heading. I did have two heading calls on appropriately headed balls. :{ I also had some dangerous plays, possibly because they didn't want to head or play with their chests.

14. ilyazhito

ilyazhito Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Feb 9, 2021
    I thought it was U11 and younger that did not allow heading. AFAIK, heading has always been allowed in the U12 games that I worked.

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Depends on the state. In Georgia heading is allowed at u12. In Alabama, all small sided games, U12 and under, heading is banned.

16. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Around here it also depends on the league. Some with combined age groups (u7/8, u9/10, u11/12, etc.) banned heading in u11/12 to minimize legal risks for coaches who might ignore the ages of their individual players in regards to heading. Some allow it. Makes for fun inter-league matches when their respective leagues have different rules.

voiceoflg repped this.
  17. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It definitely won’t be the same without international refs/teams, but it should still be a lot of fun. I hope I’ll see you there!

dadman and RefIADad repped this.
  18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem was that for the tournament, u11 and u12 were grouped together. The teams I refereed were u12 but they were put in groups with u11! It would have made more sense to me to ban heading for u10 or u12. Here u11 and u12 get frequently mixed.

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I did a U-12 scrimmage on Saturday that featured the best sportsmanship I've ever seen. One team was preparing for an All-Star tournament. The other team was thrown together to help them. The coaches and I agreed beforehand that we'd do kicks from the mark afterwards, no matter the score, just to let them practice, In fact, every player took a kick. Everyone thanked me profusely, and the teams posed together for a photo.

Here's where I'm still questioning myself:

For some reasons, tons of players on both teams kept trying to trap the ball by raising a foot up near waist level. I wound up whistling twice when the boot got too high, but I found myself wondering where the line is. I could see a different ref blowing the whistle 10-12 times during that game.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  21. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I think the high boots are a result of the ban on headers for younger kids and coaches not working hard enough to teach players the various ways to trap a ball that don't involve the head or foot.

Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule on when something becomes dangerous play. It's particularly hard with players of different sizes. Waist high on one player might be chest high on another. If the shorter player bends to head the ball you can get a dangerous situation where it's not clear who created the situation.

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I believe this was designed to remove the specter of a DFK for tackling a pitch invader or some such, when they limited misconduct FKs to offenses against participants. So the offense would be VC, but there would be no FK from it.

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I don't have much to talk about in terms of games, the best thing is I've made some progress on eliminating the terrible referee sock tan line that impacts so many of us.

Kit, dadman, Beau Dure and 3 others repped this.
  24. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    :thumbsup:

25. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week, I had three solo AYSO games in a row, and then after a 2 hour break, I was AR2 for a USSF youth game. It was sunny here all day, and because of the genetics of my ancestors, I usually turn red quite quickly when I am outside for an extended period of time. I made sure that I put on sunscreen every break. I did pretty well and wasn't sunburned on my arms or face at the end of the day. However, I forgot to put sunscreen on my knees so they were as red as my referee shirt at the end of the day.

IASocFan repped this.