Best Story of The Week 2020

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dayton Ref, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes, especially as I just got a text from my HS assignor saying GAMES ARE NOT CANCELLED!

Georgia Soccer just suspended all club games till April 30.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Carolina High School and Club shut down everything starting today.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, the games went off OK, but they're probably the last of the season, as all of our schools are closing tomorrow until further notice.

This was low level inner city varsity. In the early minutes of the boys, home had a free kick directly in front of the visiting coach, who had already established himself as a very loud joystick artist. The ball is all of a yard or two in front of him. I'm standing about ten yards downfield. All his defenders were farther away from the ball than I was.

Coach to defender: "Get up here! Get in front of him!"

Player moves up to about five yards away. "Not there! Come on up here! Get right in front of him!" Player acts as instructed.

Tweet. Card. "Delay of restart. Take him off coach."

Player: "Aw man ..."

Coach: "Aw man ..."

Law5, dadman, roby and 3 others repped this.
  4. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This was the right decision, but I am frustrated since I had some higher level DA and ECNL games coming up. I was assigned to a U19 boys game involving an MLS Academy this coming Saturday and it would have been the center’s regional maintenance assessment (by our National Assignor) and I was looking forward to that. Oh well- hopefully games can resume sometime soon and it gets made up.

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  5. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    PA-West is planning for now to open as scheduled April 5, though the ENPL and GLC schedules are suspended until April 15th.

Guidance to clubs includes limiting fans to immediate family and omitting post-game handshakes. But yeah, we're playing... I sort of imagine/hope soon there will be a decision to pause even the local stuff.

6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That’s unfortunate that your NA was going to see you there. I know my D1 conference assignor has been known to drop by the games so they may have shown up to my match. On top of my NPSL games being dropped for the next 4 weeks so I feel your pain.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/13/football/1584103905_345909.html

So I would have probably called the MPs to the touchline way sooner and I would never start the red-card process until things had completely simmered down. In the attempt to start sending players off and get them into the tunnel only sent things back into a spiral.

8. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I'm guessing all games across the country will be cancelled now the CDC has recommended people don't gather in groups of 50 or more.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, if we ban spectators we can keep under 50 (and the kids will have more fun with no one yelling from the touchline)! But I agree--all signs are that responsible leagues are going to suspend play.

Very strange times we are in. Best wishes to all for your health and sanity beyond soccer.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Spent the weekend painting a bathroom. Why isn’t that on the worst stories thread, you might ask? Because I did it with my daughter who is home from college for the foreseeable future. In these times we need to find silver linings. Best wishes to all on finding silver linings this week.

dadman, IASocFan, Kit and 3 others repped this.
  11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have a list of yard work to be done that is longer than last year's game count. Well maybe it isn't anymore and by the end of this, I should be ahead. Things I've accomplished since I'm not spending time on soccer:
    • Entire yard is in best mowed condition at same time (I use a reel mower so it takes awhile)
    • Decorative bed wall was bought and is installed almost two years after we installed the ones around the shrub and tree
    • Dug up old fence post
    • Broke up old broken wood fence slats for fire wood
    • Replaced chewed up fence slats with decent ones from a section of fence replaced a few weeks ago
    • Filled in holes in the yard with the extra dirt from the new fence
    • Started trimming the bushes from the neighbors yard that are leaning against the fence breaking it and reaching way into our yard killing the grass with too much shade

jayhonk, dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    This “reel” mower you mentioned? What be that?

13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @Rufusabc , no it isn't a typo.
    It is one that you must push, no motor, that I would consider a 'classic' mower. This is the one I have. Advantages: quiet, no debris shooting out at my legs, I don't eat a face full of gasoline exhaust, snips the grass in a healthier manner for the grass Disadvantages: catch fills fast, I have to actually push (not that bad), and I need to run over everything twice to make sure to cut down the grass

I had looked at an electric battery mower but we'd just bought our first house and I got it for $50 new.

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  14. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    The category of "Things I Never Thought I Would See on this Thread" for $100 please Alex.

camconcay, voiceoflg, jdmahoney and 5 others repped this.
  15. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only other thing I got is my lock down is not as severe as my sister, parents, and mother-in-law in Chicago so I can still run outside.

IASocFan repped this.
  16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    One of my earliest memories is of my father using a mower like that in....1958.

dadman repped this.
  17. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    We used push reel mowers for years. When we all grew up and moved out, my dad got a power mower. A neighbor said, "Oh, we thought maybe power mowers were against your religion."

That same neighbor had a power reel mower. Talk about a safety hazard! But what did we know back in the 60's?

dadman repped this.
  18. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I was getting bored with my other runs, so ran the fitness test on my street yesterday. My wife even humored me and ran most of it as well.

Attached Files:

seattlebeach, dadman and swoot repped this.
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I figured out that I can scrape windows while on endless working-from-home conference calls ... wireless headphones are great. Maybe I'll be ready for using comms in matches when all is back to "normal."

dadman repped this.
  20. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    This morning's run: 3.05 miles in 25:33, 8:22 mile pace, 174 ft. elevation gain. VO2 max = 49.

dadman, IASocFan and uws22 repped this.
  21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Today's elevation gain (cumulative) - 42".

dadman repped this.
  22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    that the step-stool to get the booze down?

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nothing so ambitious - just getting up out of bed once and up off the couch twice.

dadman repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where I live during the week, that is sometimes my true elevation change. It’s about as Midwest prairie as you can possibly imagine.

dadman repped this.