Best Stories 2024

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dayton Ref, Jan 18, 2024.

1. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The match report is basically filling out crew names, winning score, winning team name and marking cards on players. The written report of idiocy for RCs on players, YCs and above on coaches plus anything else is online. But it still takes time to fill it each paper out (one per team) and hand it to each coach. Some teams require it and some don’t care. But if they want it I have to stand there and do it. I can’t just cut and run.

2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    To ask the question is to answer it

3. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A few years ago I was on a 1st round boys playoff game that the winning team came from behind to win fairly late. After the final whistle, I retreated to the center circle (on my way to the bags) and waited for one of the ARs to catch up. Unfortunately, a losing attacker who had been right in front of that AR easily out ran that AR to verbally express his displeasure. I gave him his second dissent YC and before I could get the red out, he smacked me in the chest before his captain tackled/bear hugged the teammate away. At that point, the AR walks up and asks what happened. [Thinking] What happened is you strolled your way over here so we couldn't be walking away to pretend that we don't hear what's going on behind us. Now the other AR and I have to write reports on referee abuse.

Moral, even if the stuff isn't in the car, at least we can get away from the participants so time and distance have a chance to let cooler heads prevail.

4. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I still remember a few years back when a team lost by a goal and a losing player came up to my center clearly as a bad actor (saying “why didn’t you give us any calls man” and that sort of thing), I tell my center to get out with me and instead he starts engaging with the player about foul recognition, which leads to the player saying that he’s a “f-ing bulls-“ ref and gets a straight red card.

I really laid into him for that one, as he was an experienced guy who should know better

Any postgame fracases, if people try to ask why I did nothing I will now just use the quote form the first spider man film

dadman repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seattlebeach and jdmahoney repped this.
  6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm glad I've gotten good at blocking out everything else going on in my life once I step on the field, or more accurately in this case, step out of the locker room.

I had the privilege of running a line on a pre-season game between two MLS teams. At halftime the referee had a message announcing the lockout. I pulled up the PRO statement, sent it off to my wife, put my phone away, and refocused on the game at hand.

The game was great. I think I did fairly well. There were a couple of times that I misread attacking runs and was caught flat. In adult amateur and even in some college, I just put my legs into 5th gear and can catch up. There is absolutely zero chance of that with these guys. But, I have that experience now and I'll be better on my next match.

soxfaninny, IASocFan, Law5 and 12 others repped this.
  7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I've been substitute-teaching a lot one of the three big high schools that include most of the players in our town club and its winter rec league.

Saturday's game ...

Player: "Do you do substitute-teaching?"

Me: "No, that's my evil twin."

soxfaninny, IASocFan, AlextheRef and 6 others repped this.
  8. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New Mexico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which could be this coming week. S/

Cheers, Mi3ke

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR

"No, that's the good twin."

Beau Dure and IASocFan repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Not twins but being a substitute teacher has it's moments! :cautious:

upload_2024-2-21_9-58-33.jpeg

Beau Dure and Law5 repped this.
  11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had the pleasure of running a line on a friendly this past weekend. The 4th warned us that the home team had taken to blasting up the sidelines and crossing from the goal line. I went to warmup on the touchline and discovered that the field has been lined 2 yards wider, as wide as they can and still have the required space around the field.
    Bad News: If I'm running up/down the line if there is an animation going side to side with high contrast moving in the opposite direction of me, I'll catch it out of the corner of my eye. Twice I flinched thinking someone/something was about to be in my way.
    Good News: I did a line in the top sanctioned amateur league and the game felt like it was moving in slow motion.

Time for two personal weekends off and to work hard on sprints. The speed difference between pros and amateurs is astonishing.

12. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I failed to get in a good offseason routine for a chunk of December and part of January, and am about 6 weeks into consistent preseason training for the spring season.

Slowly but surely I'm increasing paces in workouts and starting to *feel* better about where I'm at with my fitness. It's not where I want it to be, but my past few workouts have had marked improvements and that's promising. Plus the weather is warm enough where I live that I can get in some outdoor sprint training. That's not usually possible this time of year!

dadman, seattlebeach, Law5 and 3 others repped this.
  13. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    I guess I finally get to see what all the hubbub is about. Got invited to Southern Regionals for the first time and got assigned the whistle for the UPSL season opener for our local club after a 1.5 year hiatus from doing their games.

dadman, chaoslord08, IASocFan and 6 others repped this.
  14. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I would be very curious to hear what you charge for that work. And how many refs did you have working.

I am going to be assigning a similarly sized tournament in April. My fee is $10 per game + $500 per day onsite coordination. And a floor of 350 games. So $4500 total pay + $10 per game for each additional game after 350.

Assuming 350 games split 1/3 7v7,9v9,11v11, we would pay out $30,500. Approximately same rate as your tournament. 3 refs on every game. Usually have about 200 refs.

seattlebeach repped this.
  15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #40 mathguy ref, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    I charged $4/ref assigned/game, so $12 for a full crew and $4 for a solo. For on-site coordination I charge the equivalent of a center R, so $50/time slot. There were 9 slots on Saturday and 6 on Sunday.

There were 19 total fields in use, 10 full field and 9 small sided. Refs worked a rotation of 4 games on, 1 off. Basically I had 5 crews for every 4 fields. 4 crews each had a field and one crew rotated through that set of 4 to give everyone a break and at the end they got their break. Wash rinse repeat.

This club takes care of all the food and drinks and they don’t cut it short. Breakfast tacos, chicken tenders and pizza. Plus fresh fruit, tons of snacks and bars and drinks galore. They take care of the refs.

dadman and seattlebeach repped this.
  16. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But it is such a long drive to get there... ;)

17. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I cannot tell you how many refs who live an hour away wanted a hotel room. The club asked me if I wanted to make that offer to get more refs and I suggested they not do that. I do not want or need the hassle of making sleeping arrangements for adults and no way in a million years I touch that live wire for anyone under the age of 18.

The tourney did pay a travel stipend of $25/day.

dadman and Dayton Ref repped this.
  18. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I’m driving an hour to get there, and you are not providing hotel rooms, then do not put me on an 8am game.

19. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Correct. I don’t do that unless you specifically tell me you want to do that. I also will not put you on the last game of the day unless you want to work it.

MJ91 and dadman repped this.
  20. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I had a perfect game today! Men's O-30 1st division. I got there 35 minutes before scheduled kickoff. I stopped to look at my e-mails and the assignor said that the game was forfeited, but since it was a game day thing, we would be paid anyway. I went home and rain a couple miles instead.

21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Did you stop on the way home and have a few with the guys? :whistling:

dadman repped this.
  22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    One of the guys called me from the field as I was driving home. "I think we're supposed to have a game together today....." He had only arrived after I left, so he was late. I think the third got the e-mail and didn't go to the field.

dadman repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First preseason varsity boys scrimmage tonight. My first boys games since my hamstring injury in mid-October. They played three 30 minute periods, so each of us took a period. My 2nd period heatmap was basically a donut. :) Was hoping to paste the screenshot from my phone as proof, but no luck so far.

dadman, IASocFan and weka repped this.
  24. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did a Jr College game on Saturday. It was my 3rd middle there and I've given at least 1 red card in every game. This was the first to the home team and the first straight red (DOGSO). At least it doesn't require a full NCAA write up.

the_phoenix612 repped this.
  25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    For comparison's sake, some in our area are getting $8 per game, per ref ($24 for the game).