best soccer quote of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Manutd06, Aug 31, 2002.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    OK, another from Billy

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea; he wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.”

Bill Shankly

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Football, Bloody Hell." - Sir Alex Ferguson after the Euro Cup Final against Bayern Munich

3. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    You asked for it ... ;)

4. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Quote of the Year (1999)

http://my.execpc.com/~pvmiii/brewcity/totw.html

Quotes of the Year (1999)
    =======================================
    (As voted on by TotW's editorial staff)

---(Honorable Mentions)-------------------------------------------------------

"The only way you could get me out to a soccer game is if my kids were to drag me out." (Jim Leahy, MetroStars marketing (!) honcho, 990416)

"The most problems aren't caused by the guys involved in the initial incident. It's the Henry Kissingers who run 50 yards to get involved in something, thinking they can sort it out who give me most trouble." (Hugh Dallas, Scottish referee, on dealing with on-pitch melees, 990514)

"Give me the fúckin' ball. Jesus!" (Revs player to ball boy, caught by sideline mike, 990911)

Pigtail Hooligan: "Dear Cindy, I was wondering how you can head ... so aggressively and long. Every time I try, I end up hurting my head and it gives me a really bad headache."
    Cindy Parlow, US international: "Heading takes a lot of practice. Heading has everything to do with technique and timing. It definitely hurts if you head it the wrong way." (990828)

---(Top 10)----------------------------------------------------------------------

10: "Many years ago I played a couple of games against a prison team. The prisoners were formidably fit but, although some of them were inside for violent crime, the games were not at all dirty -- certainly nowhere near as dirty as matches against police teams." (Mick Dennis, Soccernet, 990814)

9: ???

8: "Anywhere I've played, I've been tested and understood what's been banned. Random testing isn't so random when you're a long-haired freak." (Alexi Lalas, KC Wizards defender, 990416)

7: "We have too many people involved in soccer in this country just out for carving out their piece of the pie. They really have no interest in the end result for soccer, just in protecting their little turf." (Bruce Arena, Soccer America, 990911)

6: "I have never been shot but that is what I would expect a bullet hole to look like." (Hakan Mild, Sweden international, after being fouled by England's Paul Scholes, whose tackle caused an 18-inch gash, 990612)

5: "You're the parent and I'm the coach, and I'm the one who knows how to play this game." (Blissfully ignorant youth soccer coach to parent who suggested the coach screaming at players was inhibiting their play. The parent? Bob Bradley, whose Chicago Fire had just won MLS Cup 98. Bradley just walked away, and the unenlightened coach stayed that way. 990724)

4: "Anything less than a complete overhaul of MLS will leave it sputtering along next season, heading shakily down the road to oblivion, trailing smoke and dropping parts and pieces along the way." (Grahame Jones, Sporting News, 991030)

3: "What is the world coming to when you get a red card and get fined two weeks' wages for calling a grown man a wanker?" (Paul Gascoigne, Middlesbrough midfielder, 991023)

2: "We had 22,000 for our first game, it was a tremendous atmosphere -- we had smoke bombs, confetti, painted faces, toilet rolls, it seemed to be a real soccer crowd. But over the following months, security clamped down -- you're not allowed to let off smoke bombs, you're not allowed to throw confetti, no toilet rolls, you're not allowed in here if you're enjoying yourself. We never got 22,000 again." (Ron Newman, KC Wizards coach, 990430)

1: "The rest of the Spice Girls wanted to invite the entire Bayern Munich team because they reckoned they'd never known blokes to be on top for 90 minutes and still come second." (Best man Gary Neville, speaking at the wedding of David Beckham and Posh Spice, 990717)

5. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Quote of the Year (2000)

Quote of the Year (2000 )
    ======================================
    (As voted on by TotW's editorial staff)

10: "Two severely limited referees do not add up to one qualified referee. Can you imagine the number of whistles per match? The pitch will trill like a drum major in a marching band." (W.J. Marx, BigSoccer.Com, 000108)

9: "For starters, every time English teams go abroad, Hooligan Hysteria sets in. The local media whips itself into a curdled frenzy, to the point where, if everything goes smoothly, it is almost disappointed ... It's more fun (and a better story) to depict English fans as an invading army of shaven-headed, tattooed, beer-guzzling louts whose sole purpose is to break windows, defile women and vomit over national landmarks ... It matters little that, apart from a few morons stuck in 1977, most English traveling supporters today are as innocuous as Japanese tourists." (Gabriele Marcotti, CNNSI.com, 000610)

8: "Better to have ten disorganized players than ten organized runners." (Roberto Baggio, 000513)

7: "I'm Jesus Gil, not Jesus Christ." (Newly-reinstated Atletico Madrid president Jesus Gil, admitting that even he might not be able to save his struggling club from relegation, 000422)

6: "Someone said to me, 'You Italian fúcking bástard.' I know I am Italian, they do not have to tell me." (Paolo Di Canio discussing geneology with a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, 000401)

5: "Let's not blame the referees -- it's a team loss." (Hristo Stoitchkov after Chicago Fire lost the MLS Cup final.) Who says the man isn't class? (001021)

4: "The coach should keep out of the way ... He is an important figure, of course, but is more likely to lose a match than win it. Matches are won by players." (Romario, 001014)

3: "Sure, the league may have plundered the depth of this team like a frat boy at the Tri Delt Christmas formal, but I am confident all those new fans can act as the burro L.A. rides to the semifinal fiesta. At least the ones that are still around after Luis Hernandez misses his 10th game to check on his wife and their kids. Or to see his hairstylist back in Monterrey where he really gets fuller body and better tones. Or because his shoulder hurts." (Garth Lagerwey, Miami keeper, regarding the LA Galaxy, 000624)

2: "I just can't wait for April 1 to see Chris Albright run past Oldthar like Bill past Hillary on new intern day!" (Anthony, BigSoccer.com, 000304)

1: "Landon, you were 10 seconds away from getting on the field tonight." (Clive Charles after the US drew with Cameroon, 000923)

6. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Quote of the Year (2001)

Quote of the Year (2001)
    ===============================================
    TotW's editorial staff voted on the top things
    for the 100th Anniversary Issue, so I, Your
    Humble TotW Editor, will give you my selections
    for the quotes ...

10: Jack Edwards and Ty Keough are an ESPN announcing team, so they go together here as well. Jack: "Luis Hernandez is familiar face to US soccer fans." (Yes, he was talking about the same el Miérdador who was a regular no show at LA Galaxy training and matches, 010303) Ty: "Looks like a pulled hamstring." (As the trainer stretched Ante Razov's hamstring, 010203)

9: "We had some concerns. We're not really happy that it's in the middle of our season. Let's get the number straight, though. It's not $42, it's $40 because it's $1,000 for 25 guys. But that's before taxes. You can go to the movies by yourself and get a large popcorn and a soda and be fine. If you take somebody else, I don't know if you can get the large popcorn. You're probably better off spending the money on tolls." (MetroStars captain Tab Ramos, on the team's Copa MercoNorte match bonus, 010908)

8: "What has happened to Wembley is a pity and a complete disgrace by the Government and the Minister for Sport. Wembley is a great stadium. It has been there for a long time and I don't know why they want to knock it down. It just needs renovation, upgrading and modernising to make it state of the art because everything is there. There's talk of £700 million, but that's madness. It doesn't need that. It would be simple to invest £30-40 million to bring back life and love to the great place." (Mohammed Al Fayed, Fulham chairman, 010922)

7: "It's kind of like MLS. You have no idea what's going on. The rules change as we go along. There are trades and rule changes during the game and after the game. It perfectly approximates MLS." (Alexi Lalas on the Walsh Cup, a annual backyard 5-a-side tournament held among MLS players, friends & family, 010106)

6: "All of those people writing in, saying that we don't care about soccer ... well, they're right. We don't care about it." (Providence Journal management to award-winning soccer journalist Doug Chapman as they shuffled him off to report on school lunch menus; Chapman later landed on his feet at MLSNet.com, 010414)

5: "We had just strung like 17 passes together, beautiful silky soccer, and I turn around and see a guy yawning in the crowd. I wanted to jump over the fence and head-butt him." (Ray Hudson, Miami Fusion coach, 010929September 29.)

4: "People have said to me, it would be such a shame if you retired. But to be 30 years old and not be able to support your family, that's a shame, too." (Mike Ammann on the $100,000 in outside income he lost after being traded from MetroStars to DC United, 010224)

3: "I, in my modest way, have for years now been trying to find a cure for soccer's most pervasive disease, coaching, before it lays waste to the entire sport. Coaching, my research has established, cannot be cured by applying logic or common sense or ridicule or exhortation or job loss or oodles of money or threats of violence or even by offers to take over at Scunthorpe United." (Paul Gardner, internetsoccer.com, 010113)

2: "You foreigners don't know how to play soccer." (American soccer parent to Iranian referee, 010721)

And the Quote of the Year is ...

1: "The ownership in Montreal will not approve the plan if it is based on a single-entity concept ... if it's not working in the US, why would it work in Canada?" (Joey Saputo, former president of the A-League's Montreal Impact, on Canada's nascent first division pro league, 010101)

7. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    2001 candidates

The year is not over yet, so here are the candidates ...

020105: "Anyone foolish enough to look for moral guidance from public personalities so obviously ill-equipped to give it surely needs to spend more time in front of the television." (Kevin Mitchell, football.guardian.co.uk)

020112: "I heard Simon Davies shout 'Les, look out, there's a bottle coming' and luckily it didn't hit me. But it must have been close because I could smell the beer that came out of it as it passed me." (Les Ferdinand, Tottenham, on crowd disturbances during a League Cup tie at Chelsea.)

020119: "This is the investment we should be making. This is the future of where you should be putting your next sports dollar." (Tim-MAY! Krause on MLS expansion to Milwaukee -- no one's heard from him since)

020126: "We didn't play our best soccer tonight, but we told the players to be proud that their season had saved the franchise." (John Trask, Miami Fusion assistant coach, after losing the 2001 MLS Cup semifinal tie to San Jose.)

020202: "If MLS could refund as fast as they can contract a team, then everybody would already have their money." (Tony Flash, former TB Mutiny season ticket holder)

020209: "Nowadays, people seem to want all the accolades and none of the failures. They surround themselves with a buffer zone that gives them the luxury to avoid the accusatory finger when someone needs to be held responsible for their respective organizations direction, or lack thereof. It goes without saying however, that this is as common in the world of US soccer as it is elsewhere." (Paul Oliu, internetsoccer.com)

020216: "The score is Sunderland nil, Leicester nil, the temperature is nil and the entertainment value is not much above nil." (Radio 5 Live, Sunderland v. Leicester)

020223: "I'm not too sure that the level of interest is there between either party. I'm really not too sure what MLS could do for me right now. I'm trying to keep going forward, and I don't know if MLS is a step forward for me. I don't see it as a step forward." (Jonny Walker, Universidad Catolica keeper)

020309: "The board will trade assets as required by the nature of the competition reached in order to ensure that the cost base of the business is maintained at a sustainable level, and will continue to do so as required." Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale, using management-speak to explain the obvious: If they don't make Europe, they gotta sell players. (The club have lost £14 million the last six months, prompting MLS wannabe Tim-MAY! Krause to ask Leeds for financial support.)

020316: "I ref too. I could try and blow calls, still I would have reffed a better game than Rudolfo Sibrian." (Beckhamcpt07)

020327: "It's like watching an old girlfriend, that you still love, dating another guy. All our Mutiny players on other teams. Does MLS stand for the Mutiny Leaving Sucks?" (Tony Flash)

020406: "Can't afford them, we're not on Aldershot wages." (Anonymous Heybridge Swifts player, on his team not having socks, after Swifts drew Aldershot 3:3 in a Ryman Premier League -- i.e., sixth division -- match. 10 years ago, Aldershot were kicked out of the league after going bankrupt.)

020413: "We use trial and error and change the game until error prevails." (Rick Burns, Gordon College coach, on American experimentation with the Laws of Soccer.)

020420: "We're kind of a victim of our own mediocrity. I hate to say it, but without getting all the different things you can get from the league, we have to do it internally. By that, I mean, because we haven't had a real bad season, we don't get the allocations and we don't get the special players that change you." (Greg Andrulis, Columbus Crew coach)

020504: "I don't think my wife appreciated it." (John Spencer, Colorado forward who celebrated his game-winning golden goal by kissing teammate Valderrama.) TotW can't blame Mrs. Spencer: Can you imagine the aftertaste?

020518: "Bouchardeau has been left out in the cold in Africa. He said to me with tears in his eyes that he was a poor devil and had nothing left. So I gave him $25,000 of my own money. I'm too good a person." (Sepp Blatter, FIFA president)

020608: MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz, displaying remarkable timing, responded to Bruce Arena's criticism of the Metros' training methods, and the fitness level of MetroStar Clint Mathis, by saying that, "I think Bruce needs to take a hard look at the national team's training before he criticizes a program he doesn't know." Because Arena hasn't accomplished nearly as much in his career as Nick. Nick has, umm ... and he also, uh ... then there was ...

020615: "Agoos was finally replaced midway through the first half after allegedly being hit with an object from the stands. Not surprisingly, the object came from an area with a large concentration of US fans." (www.metrofanatic.com)

020622: I have one piece of advice to the favorites, when they play against teams seen as underdogs. Go out and play like you want to win. Go out and try as hard as some of these other guys. And then say you are better. (Pedro Pinto, CNNSI.com)

020629: "Look at the World Cup ... the USA only made the quarterfinals, it's the furthest they've been since 1930. That's like the Brooklyn Brawler reaching the KOTR semis." (Corey Clayton, www.1wrestling.com, on the WWF's King of the Ring pay-per-view)

020727: "I thought the deal was done. This was supposed to be my last game here, but now [it] is off. I don't know if it was MLS, a miscommunication or a mis-something else. It was just a big miss." (Chicago midfielder DaMarcus Beasley, after his transfer to Ajax fell apart.

020810: "[The referee] fúcked us everywhere, up the arse and everything. And it hurts". (Alavés defender Óscar Téllez, reacting to a loss)

020817: "I understand the need for pop-ups. But an NFL Coupon???!?!? That's like selling statues of the virgin Mary at the synagogue." (delo_pata, referring to BigSoccer.com.)

020831: "You could see Danielle Fotopolous's chest heave just before she struck it." (Pax TV announcer, providing a week's worth of one-handed fantasy's, on Carolina's 89th minute PK.)

8. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    In conclusion

Go forth, and never again start a 'best quotes' thread ...

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Woodwork

"My goals in Holland were known as "stiffies", which means something quite different in England of course." - Dennis Bergkamp :D

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "We couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo"

Courtesy of Dave Bassett I believe

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    "I'd be kissing their bums in the showers." -- Ray Hudson on how Bruce Arena would be celebrating their World Cup win against Portugal.

12. MDfootyfan

MDfootyfan New Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Quote from Peter Osgood (From the Chelsea web site):

"When I was with the England World Cup squad in 1970 I heard a tale about Liverpool's goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence who was known throughout the game as the "flying pig. A huge man to say the least. During a derby game with Everton at Goodison the score was 0-0 with a minute to go. One of the Everton players broke clear and tried a hopeful shot that Lawrence should have had no difficulty with but the ball bounced through his legs and into the net....probably because he was so fat he couldn't close his legs.

In the dressing room after the match Bill Shankly was pacing the floor. Tommy Smith said: "I know boss, I should have kept my legs closed" Shankly replied: "No Tommy, It's your mother who should have kept her legs closed!"

13. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Quote of the Year (1999)

Man...i was RIGHT THERE when Alexi said that!

It was late in the game..and the ball boy was nervous becuase..c'mon, its Alexi!

BUT HE WAS SO NERVOUS HE COULDNT THROW THE BALL...thats where the "give me the fucking ball!" part came in.

When the kid threw it, he threw it a good 5 fett out of the way of alexi.

thats where the "jesus!" part came in.

i couldnt stop laughing.

14. lazaro

lazaro New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    usa
    marca

"Chilavert era un portero de futbol, pero ahora parece portero de discoteca"

- Spanish newspaper Marca on Chilavert's girth in the 2002 World Cup

15. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Roughly translated: Chilavert used to guard football goals, now he guards nightclub doors.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I liked the quote from some big cheese in one of the lower U.S. soccer leagues, announcing a new system to avoid ties. It went something like this:

"There's an old saying that a tie is like kissing your sister. If that's the case, then a 0-0 tie is like kissing the ugliest sister in a multi-sister family."

17. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    "Football is Football"

Vujadin Boskov (Sampdoria, Roma, Napoli ,Real Madrid coach)

18. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    "The score remains scoreless" My 6 year old son

19. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Your son is already qualified to be a ESPN announcer ...

Jaweirdo repped this.
  20. Preston McMurry

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Re: Re: Quote of the Year (1999)

Most of the quotes I found in various media sources, but that quote is one of the few I actually heard myself. (Though on TV.) Couldn't tell who the player was though, because the show was from so far away. (Though the microphone obviously wasn't ... ;) )

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Rudi Voeller

"This is the most important match of the whole year. I have said all along this would be a very hard match... and then in five weeks we'll play the Faroe Islands. That'll be the most important match of the whole year for us." - Rudi Voeller, speaking about Germany's upcoming Euro2004 qualifiers with perennial powers Lithuania and the Faroe Islands
    [​IMG]

22. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I don't think I've seen anyone post Ray Hudson's "I'm higher than a hippie at Woodstock" quote. I've forgotten what the event was that caused him to be this high.

23. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A Liverpool player must play like a lion, give his all. There must be
    determination, commitment and resolve to be a Liverpool player."

"One of the things I am in the habit of saying is that the only place
    success comes before work is in the dictionary."

"Our job is to make the fans happy. When we win, 45,000 people go home
    happy. When we lose, it not only affects them, it affects their cats."

I notice a former captain of ours said recently that this squad is so
    good that we don't need a manager. I took this as a great compliment. He
    must have changed his mind since leaving as he said at the time that Phil
    Thompson and I would drag the club down. On that point I suppose he was
    right - we dragged the club down to Cardiff three times in the last 10
    months."

"Our job is to make the fans happy. When we win, 45,000 people go home
    happy. When we lose, it not only affects them, it affects their cats."

"When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the
    base. It says: 'He made the people happy.' Well now the modern Liverpool is
    making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud."

These all come from Le Boss, Gerard Houllier.

24. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Favorite soccer quote

"Two words for you. Lothar Osiander." A disgusted US Soccer fan talking about retreads in MLS.

25. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Quote form João Pinto (former FC Porto and Portugal captain) after Porto recovered from 2-0 to win 2-3:

"At one point of the match we felt like we were at the edge of a cliff... but we managed to do the right thing and stepped forward"

Mario Jardel (brasilian stryker) talking about big games like Benfica-Sporting:

"A derby is a derby and vice-versa"