Best Soccer Players Of Each Decade

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Daniel96, Jan 1, 2012.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not sure I got everything absolutely perfect there, but it should be close enough as a guide I think!

A few things I might have done, on reflection:
    - Clarified Mannion was more midfielder than striker
    - Given Rep striker as opposed to support striker
    - Added central midfielder, at the least, for Ceulemans
    - Specifically noted false 9 for M.Laudrup, at the least

Perú FC repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I only see this now (also your other comments you made)

I appreciate a few of your unorthodox ideas but think Scifo, Rep and Sneijder are not really possibilities for these sort of things.

I think Sneijder had a too erratic career overall. Fantastic and (borderline) World XI material in about three seasons (decisive at all levels in 2009-10 ofc), good to excellent in four national team tournaments. He was dropped a few times or close to be dropped but then e.g. strong or adequate CL games kept him in. One the better national team performers in history though (from the play-off match against Scotland in 2003 to Spain/Mexico in 2014). If he had the dedication of Robben/Ronaldo more would have been possible.

Van Dijk is obviously very good but not superman. If there is no pressure on the ball and there is a high line then it's also hard for him to defend through-balls, I saw yesterday in highlights (he cut out the 'easy' pass option anyway and it seemed as if he didn't expect the pass through midfield).

Can you explain your idea behind Gemmill for 1970-1980? That's the most surprising and new name I see.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I'll give that a quick go now (without videos for now where I refer to games/moments).

I think it depends on each particular period and the pool available (the previous one seemed a bit better to be fair, and probably the next one too...although maybe with not such a pronounced difference for the anchor midfielder...but still a difference in depth/options it seemed). I think the decade suits him very well for both peak and having a good longevity (whether or not consistently at the same level - I think he probably had some better periods and a couple of dips maybe). The choice for that role is not certain because he generally played in a two player midfield, and even could be seen more as the roving player, but he was in essence a central midfielder and renowned for tackling, closing down etc, and he could play a more supporting role in the main in theory.

He was a key part of Derby's championship team, and then at Forest the same again (being, with Shilton, who normally gets the greater credit for the upturn in overall results of course, an early season signing in 77/78) followed by playing a good role in the first European Cup win even if he missed the final as Clough deemed him unfit to play (not believing him when he said otherwise). He scored an iconic goal against Arsenal (Goal of the Season I think it was) in 77/78, and had a good combination of energy, speed, tenacity, skill, composure on the ball and vision I think (from what I've seen and know) so helped both the attack and the defence very usefully even if not with a big goals total. He had a good game vs Southampton in the 1979 League Cup Final I think for example too.

For Scotland obviously there is the famous World Cup goal, but I think he was a useful player often for them too, with his midfield play and some assists like one vs Wales I think it was with the outside of his left boot I've noticed.

I hope that's ok for now to give a guide as to what thoughts I'd be having about his inclusion. It can be being aware of him due to his Forest role plays a part, but if I felt sure about different choices I'd have no qualms about going with them instead.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

If you have some good videos to show for Gemmill I'd like to see that too.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This one gives a bit of an idea how he played (maybe you already know - probably you saw the full game vs Netherlands from 1978 too?), but I might come back to it after the draft (at least the drafting part of it):

The assist I had in mind maybe wasn't against Wales actually I don't think! I'd need to find it randomly I suppose now from Scotland highlights/goals of the 70s.

The 1979 League Cup Final is on Youtube in full - I think Forest were better in the second half and maybe Gemmill individually too but my recollection isn't really great - he gets the assist for Woodcock's goal that day anyway for sure.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Can I ask how and where you say Lampard fit in? Compared to Gerrard? Compared to Giggs even? I know you had Lampard on the bench for the 00s.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In the 00-10 period, not far behind Gerrard (I know it's arguable and often is argued between them - in the end each individual has to make a choice when doing something like this). Obviously other names like Deco could be in the same sort of vicinity. Perhaps Ballack too. Obviously those two didn't do as well for Chelsea though, even if Deco showed good signs early on I remember.

Giggs I'd feel was a bit more extraordinary as a player if that's the right way of putting it. Maybe that doesn't automatically mean he should be thought of as better, but I'd tend to put him ahead on peak form (perhaps more questionable over a more prolonged period?) I think and I suppose he has the edge on the other end of the scale with longevity too. In the 00s alone I'd think of Lampard ahead of Giggs though, even on prime form alone I guess (despite Giggs finding some very good form in a new deeper supporting midfield role).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not sure whether the League Cup Final was available in full before or I got it wrong, but this video with the second half highlights is probably the best choice at the moment for that game:

This is a game with similar length highlights, where Forest go out of the FA Cup actually, but again in the second half he is having an influence especially as they try to make a comeback

These are briefer highlights and I've posted before on here, but show good examples of his best assists and goals

9. Pollo

Pollo New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 25, 2020
    I imagined being a selector of two representatives, one European and one South American.
    Every end of the season (August / September) I have to select 22 players for each representative, as if it were a kind of "all-star game" of football, obviously NOT KNOWING what will happen the following years .. so let's imagine that we are in August 1930 , immediately after the World Cup, and having to create the 2 teams that will face each other in this match .. who would you take? Who are the best 22 South American and European players AT THAT MOMENT?
    Why did I imagine all this? Maybe because it is impossible to establish whether Maradona or Pele, or Zidane or Platini is the best… each should be evaluated
    according to the standards of its time; so let's do it for every single year, starting from 1930 ...
    I tried it, would you like to see my selections?
    I would like to share my opinions with you, football experts, and compare them

Gregoire1 and Titanlux repped this.