Best soccer magazines?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by strike, Sep 30, 2010.

1. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, What soccer magazines do you subscribe to and why? I'm thinking about subscribing to one but not sure which one is best.

For what it's worth, I' m an MLS, USMNT fan first, but then of course, I enjoy my prem, serie a, la liga, etc, so world soccer is fine as well.

Also, if you know of coaching specific magazines for soccer coaches, that's a bonus too.

Thanks!

2. uvasoccer

uvasoccer Member

Jul 6, 2005
    I highly recommend When Saturday Comes: http://www.wsc.co.uk/

Lots of England coverage, but has interesting articles on other countries as well, including the USA.

Intelligent commentary, fewer ads than other magazines, and they do have several U.S. subscribers. Just e-mail them for pricing: orders@wsc.co.uk

Articles from the magazine don't really show up online, so you'll want a subscription.

3. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Soccer Magazine should cover your broad interests just fine. It's well written and globally comprehensive. It's my favorite.

You also may want to look into Four Four Two; very EPL-based, but (IMO) contains the best writing about the sport. Similarly Champions League Magazine is extraordinarily well-written though obviously UEFA-centric.

4. john moutter

john moutter New Member

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    hi check out the best online magazine for us soccer soccer magazine on www.socceregg.com and in uk grassrootsfootballmag.co.uk both are really good

5. Blades666

Blades666 New Member

Mar 24, 2010
  6. Johno Field

Johno Field New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    4-4-2 is the best soccer magazine out there.

7. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    I agree 442 is great. Pretty much read it from cover to cover, packed with content. And they've redesigned it some now with more things for "us" like coaching tips, fitness/nutrition tips, tips from players, etc. maybe they are not that in depth but they are interesting. Plus they normally have a lot of good interviews with managers and players.

I've enjoyed the last few "redesigned" issues.

8. uvasoccer

uvasoccer Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Correction to my earlier post: When Saturday Comes now offers a digital subscription online. It is much less expensive than having the hard copy mailed to you each month.

1 person likes this.
  9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA's champions magazine is surprisingly one of the best. ALways enjoy reading those. I actually don't really like the new versions of 442, but it's still among the best. World Soccer Magazine is a good magazine, but you'd be better of reading the articles from correspondents around the globe in the bookstore itself, because the rest of it gets useless and uninteresting when the new edition comes out. I have the WSC digital version and it has some really good stuff, although it is obviously filled with English football.

11. brica2010

brica2010 Red Card

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    of them all 442 is probably the best, but from a fans point of view its best to just read the sports newspapers

12. atomx

atomx Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are the best columnists to read for the EPL?

13. Terrace Fan

Terrace Fan Member

Aug 18, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You should join The Times Online as Gab Marcotti and the team are probably the best columnists out there. You have to watch out for Simon barnes though as he has a fondness for going off the deep end at times.

Magazine wise Four-Four-Two has to be the number one but When Saturday Comes also has some great stuff.

14. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, for EPL Richard Williams of the Guardian; http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/richardwilliams

Jonathan Wilson
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/jonathanwilson

Phil McNulty (BBC)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/phil_mcnulty/

In the US, I love Rob Hughes of the NY Times:
    http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/h/rob_hughes/index.html

Then of course each EPL team will have thier local papers and coverage...

15. Terrace Fan

Terrace Fan Member

Aug 18, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jonathan Wilson is right up there with the very best.
    Has written two quality books - one about tactics the other about football in Eastern Europe (both definitely required reading for fans)

16. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah- I read him all the time and just got the history of tactics book (currently stuck in W-M land). Wilson is so good the US magazine Sports Illustrated has him doing a column on their site as well. Forget the World Cup as barometer of US soccer, the fact that SI got Wilson (and thinks Americans can understand him) says it all.

You're right about Marcotti too- he is very, very good. His Italian Job book with Vialli about the England v Serie A is fascinating.

17. atomx

atomx Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank, guys, for the input. I'm sure to enjoy following up on your suggestions!

Best...

18. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "11 Freunde" is the leading German magazine on football culture. It's an excellent publication. I've heard that "When Saturday Comes" has a similar focus.

"Kicker" is the leading game-to-game publication. Published twice a week. Kinda required reading for German football fans and professionals. A real institution.

Of course, both publications being in German, presents something of a language barrier for most folks here... :(

19. Terrace Fan

Terrace Fan Member

Aug 18, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heard a lot of good things about the more independent German coverage of the game. Unfortunately the language is a major barrier.

20. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC