Best shin pad/ what pro's wear.

Discussion in 'Apparel & Training Gear' started by JonIsAnOwl, May 31, 2011.

1. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not spotted this anywhere so thought i'd post..

Which pro's wear which shin pad? And which do you wear personally?

Shin pads are overlooked in my opinion.

2. maze2daze11

maze2daze11 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    So Cal
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you that shin pads/guards are over looked. I have the Adipure shin pads and the F50 shin pads, but I feel they are too thick.

I have noticed that my team mates (I play in a Sunday League), who are forwards, wear these:

[​IMG]

They are the Nike J Shin Guard. Am going to pick up a pair as soon as I find some in my size. Will let you know.

3. bronconaldo

bronconaldo Member

Jul 15, 2007
    COMO-Italy
    Campari CF Shinpad...

Best in the World...

4. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Sondico titanium hands down, but they are no longer manufactured

5. GSXify

GSXify Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've used the Nike J Guards for the past 7 years and I love them. Light and hard shell. Cheap too!

6. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
  7. snowman3000

snowman3000 Member

Mar 11, 2007
    So the higher the price the better? lol your nickname is appropriate

Personally I'm loving my j-guards, plastic is protective enough on a soccer field.

8. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
    I didnt say that. they are custom made for you leg and you wont need any tape or sleeve, it will stay there as it is.

9. juio987

juio987 New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Are J Guards really low key? Like are they really thin and flush against your skin so it feels like you arent wearing them?

10. maze2daze11

maze2daze11 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    So Cal
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ They are not thin because then there would not be any use to have them on, or in other words no protection. They are a convenient size, small and not long like the F50 ones I have.

One negative about them is that they moved a lot on me so buy some sleeves or tape them in place.

11. juio987

juio987 New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Thanks! Do you think theyre about the same size as those mercurial shinguards? Not the expensive ones just the normal ones

12. maze2daze11

maze2daze11 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    So Cal
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really would not know but my guess is they are smaller length wise but not by much.

I am 5'9' and was suppose to buy them in size Large but ended up buying them in size Medium.

13. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    these. i also have a different nike pair that i stole from my sister, so they are uber small and awesome

14. Cheppski

Cheppski New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I have the T90 Forza, and it has a reinforced tibia and it is great, lots of protection!

15. Smallrod

Smallrod Member

Oct 15, 2008
    The Bahamas
    Anybody have experience with the Diadora Gamma Carbonio?

16. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly besides the price, its one of the best shinguards I had even after a 2-3 years of use(it better last for the price right:p)
    they are light/thin and offer great protection, on a side note they go around the leg so it takes a while to get use to them
    personally they felt snug for me but Ive heard others use tape, Ive yet to hear any negatives or early breaking for this

now with that said I would still look around for better deals, but if money is not an issue go for it

Has anyone tried out or heard anything about the EuroPro2? its cheap on amazon but I honestly have never heard of this brand
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Pro-II-Soccer-Shinguard-Large/dp/B000B8M4F0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1320966754&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Euro-Pro II Soccer Shinguard - Buy 1, Get 2nd Pair for $2.00: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

17. Alexandre Pato 7

Alexandre Pato 7 Legends that will never be forgotten <3

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Personally I wear the Mercurial Blades. They're (too) expensive but they're awesome. They're light and really comfy, but they're also really really protective due to the carbon-fiber, it's a lot more resistant than plastic.

18. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    SAKProject. Custom made, they are worn at least by Sporting CP, FC Porto, Benfica, the whole Portuguese national football team, Chelsea and PSG.

19. Smallrod

Smallrod Member

Oct 15, 2008
    The Bahamas
    Thanks for the reply.

I ended up ordering a set for $125 new and should have them in a few days. I am eager to try them out...havent heard anything negative about them.

20. tilburysoccer

tilburysoccer Member

Sep 16, 2009
    KCMO
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Please let me know what you think of the Diadora Gamma shin pads. I will be getting either the Mercurial Blades or the Diadora Gammas. I am wanting the Diadoras more because of the huge amount of coverage on the shin. I need the best protection available.
    I am curious of the fit as I possess quite large calves. Will this be a problem??

21. Smallrod

Smallrod Member

Oct 15, 2008
    The Bahamas
    Got the Diadora Gamma...finally. I have only worn them in one training session but so far so good. I did have a little issue with them slipping down a bit at times so I will try some tape the next time I use them. They do feel a little weird at first because of how much they cover but this will get better the more I use them.

They are a lot lighter than I expected and they do cover a lot...rock solid too.

22. Alexandre Pato 7

Alexandre Pato 7 Legends that will never be forgotten <3

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The Mercurial Blades aren't that big but the carbon fibre material is really protective(Hard) aswell as being lightweight and the whole shinpad is really comfy esp. with the sock. But maybe if you have large calves it's best to get the Gammas, even though I don't know jackshit about them :p

23. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Nikola_Garić

Nikola_Garić New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    im a short player, and even the mercurial lites in a size small seem bulky on me. I'm around 5'5 or 5'6. whats my best bet for a small shin guard. if i could i would chose none but thats not an option haha. looking into the mercurial light speeds or the older blades

25. Dweber10

Dweber10 New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC