Best Result in Portugal Germany Match depending on US vs Ghana

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eliezar, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about what the best result in the Portugal - Germany match is for each of our possible results against Ghana.

If we lose I'm guessing we want a draw in Germany - Portugal that way we are only 1 point out of second and winning our final two matches advances us.

If we draw I'm thinking we want a Germany win. This would mean a draw against Portugal coupled with a Germany win over Ghana would have Germany qualified and us in 2nd position going into the final game. It would also mean a win over Portugal would put us in a great position.

If we win I'm thinking we want a Germany win. This would mean that a win over Portugal could qualify us for the second round as long as Germany does not lose to Ghana. It would also mean that a draw would have us at worst in 2nd place going into the final match.

Or is it good just to hope that all games not involving the US are ties? That would mean if we could go 1 win, 1 loss, and 1 draw we would advance.

Anyway, just something to be thinking about as we watch the Portugal and Germany match this morning.

2. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy with a draw or Germany win, Portugal win prob makes our advancing much harder.

3. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    We want Germany to kill both teams before us, IMO

4. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Yep.. a Portugal win or tie would not be good for the US

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Germany to tie Portugal then Ghana, and for US to win against both Ghana and Portugal. That's the most ideal.

Way the group would look at that point:

1. USA - 6 pts
    2. Germany - 2 pts
    3. Ghana - 1 pt
    4. Portugal - 1 pt.

MSUDuo and um_chili repped this.
  6. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draws are definitely best if your goal is to win the group. But... if we're just looking to advance in either position, then we should pull for Germany to crush both Ghana and Portugal. Not only does Germany crushing Portugal give them 0 points and hopefully a large negative GD, but it'll also make them desperate for a result in Manaus which should play to our advantage.

I just want to advance, so I'm pulling for the largest German victory possible. 5-0 would be awesome.

7. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll be cheering for germany to win. as much as i like the idea of keeping points low, i think our most realistic (and probably the most realistic) is for germany to win. and for ronaldo to cry.

but if we tie or lose, then sure, maybe a germany-portugal tie keeps our chances higher.

tyguy repped this.
  8. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scenario 1:
    I want a Germany win by 2 or 3 goals, then if we beat Ghana that would start this group off nicely. After that a win or tie vs Portugal would be perfect, then Germany to beat Ghana. Then its pretty much set, Germany with 6 and the US with 6 or 4, can either give Portugal 0 or 1 and Ghana with 0. Then Portugal will most likely beat Ghana looking for a goal difference, it would be enough for us to tie Germany and both teams are happy. Lets hope Germany destroys Portugal and Ghana that way in the Germany game Klinsy could give out nice hugs to his former players and coaching staff and say c'mon guys we're family here right?

Should we trust the Germans though?

Scenario 2:
    We go for the win in every game!! That way we depend on no one to get results.

Scenario 2 is the best obviously but its more of a hope thing. Scenario 1 is more realistic. But today is the most important game to win, today 3 points will boost confidence and take a load off the players/fans backs. Every think positive in the stadium and remain positive, no negative vibes please.

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think this is the correct logic.

10. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Fixed it for you ;)

tyguy repped this.
  11. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course!!! A red for Ronaldo omg perfect.

12. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, completely forgot about that. Definitely need to be rooting for reds (and yellows for Germany, since a red is only a 1 game suspension).

13. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rondaldo red card for diving.

Fixed it better

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  15. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pepe being sent off is big. They will being missing their best defenders when they play us.

16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal meltdown already underway... Sweet.

aarond23 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    GERMANY UBER STRONG. 3-0 at the half with Pepe sent off.

WE CAN BEAT PORTUGAL

18. clures

clures New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Waltham MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is the best result if it stands no doubt. We must beat Ghana. Period. If this stands now we just need to draw Portugal and then not lose to Germany by more than 3.

19. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far everything goes our way, Portugal will come out of Germany game with big negative GD, one of their starters is missing next game, and they still have 45 more minutes to play, so Germany can put couple more goals in.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Might be the morale bomb that we need to motivate us and have them de-motivated by Sunday's match.

21. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dream start for the US. Couldnt get much better, but another red card would be nice. Portugal doesnt seem to be a particularly deep team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Perfect result is happening. When a team gets blown out like this, they can fall apart. Portugal is ripe for us.

23. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coentrao got injured, man, everything goes wrong for Portugal today.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  24. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I'm only showing 6 defenders total on their WC roster. They might have to use some interchangable parts against us in the back.

25. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can expect Portugal mentally to be done. They'll come out swinging for about 20, and if they don't score by then, that might be it for them.