Best Players by Home State

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by numerista, Nov 28, 2004.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Again, I don't see much here to suggest that any of these areas is particularly productive. Whenever you deal with small numbers of players, these things happen. Mulrooney, Talley, and Paule are all '76s from Memphis, but for the next several years, that city didn't produce a single noteworthy player.

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Nope. There are also not any from the Vancouver area. Interesting.

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    The state of Colorado would like to express our gratitude to Conor Casey. If it wasn't for him, we'd probably have to list Seth Trembly.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd make the following changes (I'm including only ACTIVE players):

Arkansas Domenic Mediate
    Delaware Bryheem Hancock
    District of Columbia Kevin Sloan
    Florida Eddie Johnson
    Kentucky David Wright
    Massachusetts Robbie Russell
    Michigan Kerry Zavagnin
    Rhode Island Michael Parkhurst
    South Carolina Temoc Suarez
    South Dakota Kevin Hansen
    Utah Sergio Flores
    Vermont Ryan Levesque

As a side note, if retired players are allowed, then Alaska's best player in recent years would be Seth Spidahl, currently men's soccer head coach at the University of Washington.

Also, Jason Kreis has claims (either birth or youth/HS soccer) from three states: Texas, Nebraska, and Louisiana. He'd be the best player from both Nebraska and Louisiana.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Chris Klein for Missouri!

6. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Ann Heiserbush?

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So much for being the "Empire State." Population of 20 million people and all we can come up with is Chris Armas? Damn we stink. It gives me hope for being in the top 85% of NYS players.

I hereby adopt an immigrant for NYS. He played for a club team in NYC area during the 1970's. I think his name was PayLay, our something like that. I heard he was pretty good.

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unclear whether we're listing current best or best ever. For Iowa, the best ever is probably:

Seth Modersohn, Menace record-holder for career goals, assists and points.

Unless, you can count Ezra Hendrickson who played for Drake for 4 years.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've decided we can solve our little NY problem by selecting John Wolyniec of Staten Island. Plus, isn't Chris Armas really from Puerto Rico. If you play for the Puerto Rican youth teams, to me that makes you Puerto Rican. There must be somebody we're missing, though.

Can we choose Nate Jaqua for Oregon instead of Ryan Cochrane? I just did. HA!

10. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Edson Buddle?

11. dcsoccer2000

dcsoccer2000 New Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Washington, DC

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Great Buddle, Woly, shoot, throw in John Busch from the Crew. The point is we can't really have this conversation and NOT include Chris Armas in the discussion. That is what is so distressing.

NY is this great melting pot and possibly our greatest player hails from....well, an island that doesn't even have a national team.

13. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I was thinking best ever, so that looks like a very good choice. The only established pro I found was Matt Bobo (IIRC), who's probably better than Parratt but not as interesting.

14. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Levesque hasn't played as long, but so far, I think he's done pretty well for himself. He was Pac-10 Player of the Year at Stanford, where he reached two Final Fours, and at the time he tore his ACL, he was representing the US at the U-23 level. He's just finished his first full season as a pro, having been named Offensive Player of the Year for the A-League finalists.

15. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Wow, impressive work. As long as we're limited to active players, the only one I'd really take issue with is Flores ... and Kreis might be the best player for all three states.

16. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

Are you 100% sure that Tab never played in the 1st Division of La Liga? I thought he had played in Spain before USA 1994, and for at least 1 more season thereafter...

However, this is quite an accomplishment in putting all this information together. Well done, N.

17. dcsoccer2000

dcsoccer2000 New Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't disagree that he's a very good player and he's off to a good start, but I'd take a guy who's played at the same level (A-League) for almost a decade and has captained several teams versus a player who was named "offensive player of the year" for one team.

Over the course of time Levesque probably will pass Ryan's achievements, but looking at their entire career as a whole...I'd still take Ryan.

18. coresport

coresport New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    What about Jonny Walker?

19. coresport

coresport New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    You can have Barry Swift if you want. :)

20. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    He played in Spain, but never in La Liga. His team, Real Betis, earned promotion after the 1993-94 season, but once he recovered from his skull fracture, Ramos never got into another game there. One thing I hadn't known was that Betis shot straight to the top of the tables, finishing in third place in 94/95. So it's not too surprising that he had trouble breaking in.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/roster/men/ramos.htm
    http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/span95.html

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Walker came before those three ... not sure who'll be the next MLSer to come from TN, maybe Dayton O'Brien?

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Yeah, Buddle's from Washington Heights, right?

23. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    No. He is from Westchester. Have heard he is from

A) Mount Vernon

B) New Rochelle

C) Port Chester

Definitely Westchester though

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Utah's only established pro at A-League or higher level is Joey Worthen. That said, Matt Affleck may be good enough to play A-League, and Chad Sackett and BJ McNicol are among the better players in the PSL.

25. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck
    who the hell is Kris Overyby? I live in North Dakota and have no clue who this guy is though. cuddos on finding a name though it was better than i could have done.