Best Places to Watch in NYC

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by JKGooner, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to be in NY for the 2nd leg match against Milan. Where are some of the best places to go watch a match? Anyone have a regular place where they go? I'll have a few friends with me, so we are looking for a place with a good atmosphere to catch the Gunners.

-Jai
    DO IT FOR DUDU

2. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha, 2005. yeah a couple buddies mentioned Nevada Smiths to me too. Looks like i'll be heading over there to watch the Milan match.

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevada Smiths? Never heard of it. I don't think anyone ever goes there.

5. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i realized how stupid this post was about 10 seconds after i posted it

6. JCGooner

JCGooner New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    For the fist leg, Nevada's was more packed than I can ever remember...so you might want to get there early...what was also cool is that there were a ton of American high school kids there (was school out???) all kitted out in Arsenal gear...the kids are indeed the future..

7. brooklyngunner

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI: Get there maybe a bit early.

I work around the corner so I decided to take a late lunch and catch the first half of the first leg match against Milan. I got there maybe 3 minutes after kickoff, and they weren't letting people in. I didn't have time to argue, so I just went back to the office and listened via Arsenal TV, and watched my DVR'ed version when I got home.

Also, I usually go for the league matches that are on Setanta, and have never had the same problem. I guess this Champions League thing is popular or something. :)

8. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    I'm sure someone mentioned this on the original thread, but a good place to go if NevSmiths is packed is Central Bar down on 9th. Not as crazy, but pretty comfortable for a pint and the match.

9. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think my friends might try the central pub...if anyone is out there..i'm the indian in in the highbury final year kit...

-Jai

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I live inbetween central and nevadas, and let me say this - for a match of this magnitude you are going to want to go to nevadas.

Central is good for a saturday morning against wigan, where you are really hung over and could do with some cooked breakfast while you watch the game.

If you want a great atmosphere to go with the status of the game, definately ditch your friends and go to nevadas :D (they are only two blocks away, anyway).

11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Central sucks the owners are a-holes and will charge for a match that Nevada will not charge for. Screw Central.

12. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ended up at the Red Lion....good place to watch the game. good staff, firendly folks. had a good time.

13. thesicknessuntocesc

Sep 23, 2007
    Ahhh, I'm going to Nevada's for my first-ever visit to catch the Poland vs. Germany match which should be an intense one...I've heard so much about it, idk if I'm more excited for the match or for the pub!

14. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Were you underwhelmed like some of us?

15. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its good for the really really big club games (super classicos, CL, big 4 matches etc.) For national team games, non CL team games etc. its no different to any other viewing bar.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to Nevada's... i can't say it's one of the big regrets of my life.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    If you're doing shots with RickB, n4100, HighburyGoon, GunnerPhan et al., NS is one of the better spots on the planet! :D

18. thesicknessuntocesc

Sep 23, 2007
    This is so embarassing. I didn't have my ID, and got denied at the door by an old Irishman who, despite my protests, only said "AYE-DEE" about 10 times until I gave in. On the very, very unlikely chance anyone else needs an alternative, the café Piada on Clinton Street & Houston is playing every game from Euro 08, and it's a nice atmosphere (not a bar, but w/e). The funniest part was, I don't even drink alcohol. The Irish guy didn't care.

19. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    America. "The Land of the Free". :rolleyes:

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    My nephew had his first beer there as a sixteen-year-old about eight or nine years ago! Times have changed...

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not really - you can still get in pretty easily there for most games (no doorman unless they anticipate a really big crowd to the point where they would need to shut the door).