Best of the Decade

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by MPNumber9, Dec 23, 2019.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, Juni/Sarvas would have gotten expensive, but they had a few good years left IIRC and earned it. However, was it Gerrard who broke up the tandem? I think it was around this time when it seemed like the Gs started their practice of getting rid of fan favorite/heart and soul tyoe players.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Gerrard/Gio double-blow knocked us out of contention for any cups for quite some time...

barroldinho, hav77 and skydog repped this.
  3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 MPNumber9, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    I know we just have different philosophies on outside backs (or defenders in general) but I don't know too many people that would agree that Ashley Cole has an unearned reputation for being good going forward. Most modern fullbacks are asked to join the attack; it's not their fault if they are caught up-field in transition as 1) there should be a plan to limit transition opportunities 2) there should be coverage in the area vacated by the fullback, usually by a DM. Rogers is a better dribbler than Dunivant and better in possession; his overlaps will allow Pavon to cut in and do damage and limit the amount of ball carriage he has to do up and down the touchline.

Which CBs would you take after Omar and Jelle (and AJ, who I have in there already?). Steres has been a good LA Galaxy defender over his tenure. Playing next to Van Damme in 2016 they had the lowest GA next to the Rapids. The next candidate would be Leonardo. (What's more shocking is I omitted DB23 altogether!)

As for Saunders, with further inspection, he'd be my #1. He took over for Ricketts halfway thru the 2011 season and held the team down for two championships.

TrickHog repped this.