Best "never-Abroad" Yank?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jamooky, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit unorthodox topic, I fear, but I was recently considering who would be identified as the best American player who never played abroad. For me, Eddie Pope is the obvious choice, as he clearly could have (should have?) had a great career in Europe. Who else would be on the shortlist of candidates? Mastroeni, Balboa, Ralston, Kreis? who am I missing?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope, Mastoreni, and Balboa are probably the best three.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Pope is the clear number one for me. He's probably in our top 5 best USMNT players of all time or very close to it.

4. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
  5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balboa played in Mexico, so he's not on the list.

Pope and Pablo are the two who jump out at me. If Armas had ever managed to stay healthy through a whole World Cup cycle, he might be in the discussion as well. Sam goes for Robin Fraser, who ended up getting about 100 fewer caps than he should have.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops - didn't realize 'Celo played in Mexico. :oops:

7. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Eddie Pope. He could have had a long career in Europe, but he chose to play in MLS. And for that, US fans should be very thankful.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Eddie Pope is the run-away winner.

But for me, a case could be made for Chad Marshall. Between 07-09 he was every bit as good IN MLS as Eddie Pope was. He never performed for the US the way Pope did, but he showed a lot for the Crew that suggested he'd maxed out here and was ready for a greater challenge.

Also, Kevin Hartman and Nick Rimando. Hartman at his prime could have gone to anywhere in Scandanavia or the Belgium and Holland while Rimando, with his foot skills, could be a star in net in Mexico (and not count as a foreigner, either).

Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Another name is Robin Fraser. He spent his 20s playing in the lower divisions here before MLS while American defenders like Lalas, Balboa, Cle Kooiman, John Doyle and even Mikes Burns and Lapper were playing abroad.

Then MLS starts and - whoah - turns out ol' Robin is every bit as good as they are and in most cases, better. That's why he has 2 MLS Defender of the Year awards and none of them (save for Doyle) don't have any and Fraser has more Best XI appearances than the guys listed above do combined. (Lalas and Doyle one each - Fraser four.)

If those guys made money playing abroad, than Fraser should have been able to, too.

Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were the circumstances surrounding Pope staying in MLS? Was he just that committed to the league?

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes. Had ample chances to go.

Part of his staying was to be a role model for black kids, especially in the DC area and his home in NC, to see a soccer player making good money in this county that looked like them.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope is #1. You can't even debate that. A couple of unmentioned names: Steve Ralston, Kevin Hartman, Chris Wondolowski (though it may happen), Chris Klein, Brian Ching, Mike Petke, and Jason Kreis must have all had chances at some point but for whatever reason were career MLSers.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Brad Davis and Chris Wondolowski

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For me it'd have to be Wondo though he may just get to Mexico or some non top5- European league. I never saw Pope/Balboa/Mastroeni/ play but heard of how great they played. Question though, why did Pope never play abroad? Did he just prefer MLS?

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    See post number 11 in this thread by Sandon.

The dude was a monster. Best CB we've ever had.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Are you 12? ;)

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What, no one said, Landon Donovan?

Maybe he was in Saint Quentin ... c'mon, think positively about your fellow posters.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Brian Ching anyone? 45 caps.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Unlike a lot of these who didn't have actual offers to go abroad, Mike Petke once had offer/s from a Bundisliga club/s and instead of taking them leveraged them to get a better offer and stay with the MetroStars.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Jimmy Conrad did the same thing - had an offer from Norway, used the offer to up his KC pay.

(Mathis used this tactic when returning to MLS, Wolff when signing his $400k/y deal)

21. offtheheezie

offtheheezie Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Tony Meola and Eddie Pope

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Meola had two very, very brief stints at Watford & Brighton respectively.

Bobbyho36 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Years past that. Just wasn't a USMNT fan until 2007 and have only followed MLS a tiny bit over the recent years.

manoa, freisland and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's cool. Sometimes I forget some of us are converted later in life. All shapes and sizes.

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm surprised nobody has said Kyle Beckerman yet.