Best modern providers for soccer

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Kryptonite, May 30, 2018.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back about 10-15 years ago, it was believed that DirecTV (sports pack with FSW/FSC plus Setanta and Setanta Xtra and a ton of Spanish-language channels) was the best provider. Of course, it also had MLS Shootout (later Direct Kick) and even though DirecTV and Dish Network varied in what games they had, DirecTV was the only provider with Setanta for quite some time and the only one to ever have Setanta Xtra.

Of course, if you had that bar with Setanta Pub Channel, you'd get almost any game around the planet, even if you were paying $20 cover. Depending on the bar or event, sometimes they'd let you get away with buying $20 of drink/food and they'd waive the cover.

Some bars would even put the Setanta game on in a private area or they'd hang a bed sheet from the ceiling to block the view. Even if you wanted to peek at the score, such might be worthy of the cover charge. For big events, Setanta would send representatives to various bars to make sure everyone paid the rans... I mean cover fee.

I remember a USA game in Mexico that was on mun2 and feeling a bit "powerful" because I was able to watch that game at home.

My, how times have changed. FS1/2 and the various ESPNs are widely available and in HD. Even channels like Telemundo and UniMas are in HD for when they show games.

We're definitely living in the glory years with no signs of them reversing. Wasn't there a time when TNT/TBS would show commercials full-screen during games? Soccer Made In Germany and Fox Soccer showing spoilers of the game you'd be watching are ancient memories. (I've heard good things about SMIG, but that was before my time as a fan.) I do remember watching games on TV and the bottom of the screen would show that game's final score.

ESPN+ has a ton of stuff and it's available to anyone for a very affordable fee, live channels notwithstanding.

U-Verse used to be a decent provider for soccer. They had (still have) four or five Spanish-language channels on a basic tier. They still have Gol TV in English HD...but those Spanish-language channels are all in SD. ESPN Deportes is in HD, but you need the Spanish-language tier. I believe Gol TV can be obtained with their sports tier or Spanish-language tier.

BeIN is available with U-Verse in both formats, but it's a higher tier. Luckily, I can watch via Go90 and there used to be a U-Verse website I could watch on without actually subscribing, but I think it went away.

So...bring me up to speed. Obviously, Gol TV is a shell of it's former self and hardly available, or so it seems. ESPN Deportes doesn't seem all that critical. Univision Deportes has FMF and USMNT stuff, but the USMNT games are all in English on common channels. (No more $20 for sketchy PPV from Honduras or Panama!)

I'm assuming all providers are relatively equal. I'm not in the market for a new provider, but do any really stand out like DirecTV did not too long ago? Keep in mind with a Roku or similar, someone could stream MLS Live, but let's try to keep this to TV channels (HD or SD), packages and pricing.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fondly remember subbing to Setanta on DirecTV circa 2004.

I've had Comcast for a long time now and that's all I can comment on now. It was nice when you could watch all the EPL games for free but they paywalled that.

I can't get BeIn in HD, which still blows my mind. Comcast also doesn't participate in BeIn Connect so I can't watch anything there either. I'm not much of an MLS fan but if I were, I wouldn't be able to see Direct Kick in HD (and it's not soccer discrimination - you can't watch any of NBA League Pass in HD. In 2018. And they charge full price. I'd like to meet the idiots paying them full price for SD League Pass).

Long story short, Comcast in my area blows goats.

Edited to add: I don't live in the sticks either, I live in an NBA city that gets huge ratings for NBA games and we still have SD League Pass.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kryptonite repped this.
  4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Bright House and Time Warner before they were bought by Charter and became Spectrum seemed the best of the cable operators for soccer - they had/have GOL-TV in HD, Fox Soccer Plus in HD as part of a sports pack with GOL and BeIN, FS1/FS2 in HD, and a Spanish package that includes BeIN Espanol, Fox Deportes, Univision Deportes etc. And they were always good about adding the extras, like the pre-Gold Extra Time Premier League channels.

I still get all this because I haven't changed my Bright House package since the Spectrum takeover, but it's my understanding that if I do change I'll lose GOL-TV at least as Charter itself didn't carry it. So if Spectrum is available in your area, it's a true case of YMMV.

Redbullsnation2012 and bigtw64 repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as the EPL paywalling everything, with more people running around each day screaming the virtues of cord-cutting, I'm not surprised...but you really have to be a die-hard of a certain team to pay for such a thing. It's a shame that both aren't an option. You could pay for Gold which would include every game not on NBC/NBCSN/CNBC or get those games via overflow TV channels. I found myself watching less coverage mainly because it wasn't on 4-6 channels at the same time.

Comcast: I have a family member who lives in Mass, near Boston. He's not a soccer fan, but he hates Comcast and seems to sing praises of FiOS, but can't get it at his address. Satellite isn't an option as there are too many trees. I once heard that Verizon stopped building out to new addresses, as it was too expensive for them to run fiber to every house, but they may have reverted on that decision.

I also remember it taking a noticeable time to change channels via his Xfinity box.

Over on the official U-Verse forums, we get a lot of new customers who wonder why they can't get whatever sports package (U-Verse has NBA League Pass and that's it.) At this point, it seems most of those packages offer online versions with a subscription to the TV version...but for a similar price, someone could just get the online version, hook up a streaming device to their TV and be good to go.

But I imagine some people aren't as technical, or they want the convenience of having it via their TV provider...where an installment plan might be available, unlike the online version where there may only be one payment plan. (All at once.)

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Today Direct TV is still the best for those that want as many leagues and tournaments as possible.

For me Dish is simply the best due to technology.

I am also a huge college (american) football fan and Dish is better in that regard as well.

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious about the college gridiron, sorry to go off topic. Is there something besides the inclusion of Pac-12 network that makes Dish better in that regard?

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Dish Hopper (or whatever it's called now) is what, one DVR with additional boxes that can control live TV and access the DVR to watch/schedule/delete recordings, right? Record six different shows at once and watch as many live channels as there are TVs?

I know Time Warner used to have a "whole home DVR" service, but I believe they got rid of it. Someone I know (who doesn't seem all that technical, FWIW) says she has one Spectrum DVR with additional TVs for the kids connected via Roku or whatever to the Spectrum app.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Longhorn Network which a lot of providers do not provide.

Also there is a College football channel they put up that has 8 college football games on the screen at the same time. (Sometimes it is 6 games depending on the match-ups)

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #10 HomietheClown, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    The Hopper 3 is the best DVR on the market. Not only does it have Sling technology built in that allows me to watch any channel that I desire on any mobile device or PC but it also has 16 built in tuners.

That is right, 16 tuners.

So I can theoretically record 16 programs at the same exact time!

Now I must admit that I have not recorded 16 programs simultaneously (yet) but there have been some Saturdays in the Fall that I have recorded about 9 sporting events at the same time and it has been spectacular. Between College Football and Soccer and Baseball playoff runs I am in Sports heaven starting in September.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #11 HomietheClown, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Also Dish has "Sports Bar" mode which allows me to put 4 different channels up on the screen at the same time.
    Another thing that comes in handy during the Fall.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about the "mix" channels. Weren't there UEFA mix channels at one point?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16 per box? Per house? Like how would that work? If something is saved on one TV, I assume it can be watched in another room?

That's like home internet being at 300 Mbps. It doesn't *need* to be that fast, but in the spirit of competition, it *can* be that fast.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe U-Verse has something similar, but I don't use it, partially because it's an app-based thing and there's a short loading time.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-tv/KM1062535

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think so but there could have been one season.

I know for sure that there is a Latino Mixed Channel called Zona futbol where you can see beIn, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes, Univision Deportes, etc simultaneously.

It is a Hopper with 16 tuners so yes, per house. Yes. You can access anything on the hopper with something called a Joey (a smaller receiver) in another room. I think the maximum amount of joeys per house is 6. So in theory you could have 7 different people watching television at the same time plus some one on a mobile device that makes 8.
    As I said, 16 shows at the same time has not been used but I have recorded about 9 shows to my DVR simultaneously which is very convenient.

Dish's 4 channel split screen is not web based. It is PIP split into 4 different quadrants of the screen.

This option also comes in handy for me, most recently during the NCAA basketball tournament when a bunch of games occur simultaneously.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, Fox Soccer Plus is in a sad state of affairs, but it still has some stuff, right?

If so, I wonder who would pay $15/mo for it, especially if it's still HD only during live events, as it used to be on DirecTV. If so, bonus points go to various providers who have it in a sports tier where it's most likely HD 24/7.

With that said...out of curiosity, did Fox Soccer show the entire Dream Team series before the flip to FXX? I never watched that show, but I knew US airings were several seasons behind.

Also, any time NBCSN wants to bring back FanZone is great with me...I assume it's still a thing on Sky or whoever has EPL rights "across the pond."

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of memories, does anyone remember when ESPN Deportes was a hot mess?

Their image seemed to be 16x9 SD. Watching on a 16x9 TV and there were black bars on all sides! It looked like watching through a peephole.

The picture was 4x3, but had "ESPN Deportes" black bars on either side, making the picture wider than taller. However, viewing on a HD TV and the TV itself had black bars on all four sides.
    Lake homes in marlier today and give him a big Coin Rush
    I guess if you zoomed in, you'd see "ESPN DEPORTES" black bars only on the sides of a 16x9 TV, but the image would be zoomed in.

18. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    FYI, I just noticed on the Go90 app that they are discontinuing the service at the end of July.

I was using it quite a bit to get BeIn, Gol and Eleven Sports matches.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I noticed that too.
    However I did not even know Gol TV was on there. I wish I would have known that months ago.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems like a LOT of stuff is being discontinued lately. AIM died last year. Yahoo Messenger had a terrible redesign a couple years ago and it's going away next week, something else which escapes me at the moment and now this.

I wish I knew it had Gol TV. I used to get that via a website my provider offered, but I believe that website is no more. I remember watching a Boca/River match on there.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With the news this week of Univision along with their family of Networks back in the Fold I think it is clear that Dish is the current best service provider for soccer in the USA. Hands down.

22. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Umm...what about GOL TV?

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Even without GOL TV. The other major carriers do not have BeIN which is more important than GOL TV in my opinion.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of major leagues, is GOL TV really relevant? I see they have the Portuguese league, but beyond that, they seem to have a lot of Central and South American leagues from countries not named Mexico. (They have Mexican division two, but still.)

25. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have any Central American leagues. They have Portugal, Ecuador, Uruguay and certain Mexican second division games.