Best MLS game you've seen

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by patfan1, Jul 2, 2005.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if this thread has taken place already ... but since the topic came up in another thread, I was wondering what the best MLS game you've seen is.

Actually ... a two part question ...

• What's the best MLS game you've seen (any teams)?
    • What's the best game you've seen your team play?

For me ... as much as the final result hurt, the Revs/DC match for the Eastern Conference was easily the best (and falls into both categories).

Best game I've ever seen live, best atmosphere, crowd, game just went back and forth ... the result sucked though. :eek:

2. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check out this thread (although it's kinda old, it still has some people's thoughts): https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159135

my vote (taken directly from that post, lol):

my vote is the may 8th [2004] match between the metrostars @ san jose. it was a high scoring, exciting game, with several lead changes, and several spectacular goals (including what i felt should have been the goal of the year, cornell glen's 90th minute goal to tie it up). the game ended 5-5

[Note: link no longer works]

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    the 5-4 san jose playoff comeback over LA in 2003 or the eastern conference championship 2nd leg DC/Revs in 2004.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was @ last years eastern conf. final game, have to say that was the best, both in terms of on the field and atmosphere in the stadium.

The game we beat the Metros 6-2 is up there for me, too..

5. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    MLS game? Well I've not seen that many to be honest. I guess at the moment it's any the Revs win so I'll go for 4-2 against Metros.
    My own team? Well I've got the opposite problem in that I've seen so many down the years but, the first that springs to mind is Derby's first game in the premiership, a pulsating 3-3 draw at home to Leeds after being 2-0 and 3-1 down. Dean Sturridge scored a rip snorting equalizer for the Rams late in the game. Damn! the more I think of the question the more answers I come up with, 4-1 at home to Real Madrid in '75, 5-0 at home to Spurs in '69, the promotion clincher in '96 against Palace. It's not always the quality of the play that stands out, although it contributes but, the atmosphere. The old Baseball Ground especially really had something when it was full, it was nothing more than three glorified sheds and a half decent stand but the place rocked like no other.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game i most remember was that epic 2nd leg in 2003 between San Jose and Los Angeles. LA scored the first 2 goals to take a 4-0 aggregate lead. I almost turned off the game..so glad i didn't that comeback was stunning and in my mind is the best game i have ever seen all things considered.

I would also have to say DC- REvs from last season and the MLS rainstorm cup won in extra time by DC are close seconds.

As far as my team goes I did rather enjoy the 5-5 draw against san jose last year.

7. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    easily last year's DC-Revs playoff game. Unfortunately it was marred by pks at the end. You couldn't ask more from a soccer game. Even if you weren't a fan of either team you were probably sitting on the edge of your seat.

8. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, best game I've ever seen in MLS, and the best game I've ever seen in person, even if the result sucked for me.

9. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    San Jose 4-2 win over Chicago in the 2003 championship was a great match. Great soccer all around, great stadium, and a great crowd making a great atmosphere. Just absolutely great!

10. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast

Yep. Easy choice.

I remember that only people with Direct Kick got to watch the game. There was an immediate demand for a replay and FSW responded.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good choices, but the first-ever MLS match - SJ over DC - was the best ever. After a decade-plus of no division 1 soccer, that was a sweet evening.

The best played matches (either in terms of quality of play or excitement/tension), IMO are:

SJ over LA 2nd leg 2003 playoffs

SJ over KC 2003 Western Conference finals

SJ over LA 2001 MLS Cup

SJ over Chicago 2003 MLS Cup

SJ over Miami Game 3 2001 playoffs

DCU over NE 2004 Eastern Conference finals

Chicago over DCU 1998 MLS Cup

DCU over Columbus - game three playoff series matchups - about three years running

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    96 MLS Cup
    97 MLS Cup (Sold Out RFK)
    '04 Eastern Conference Final.

13. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    I know I was.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quakes 5-2 galaxy

hands down.

next question. move on. nothing more to see here.

:)

15. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last years Revs-DC playoff match would be the best game I've ever seen. I also remember a very dramatic Metrostars-DC shootout in the 1996(or 97) playoffs. Every player on both teams had had their chance and the Metrostars where down to Peter Vermes who was injured earlier in the game. He limped down towards the goal and knocked it over the sliding goalies head into the net for the win. The best game I ever saw in person was the very first Mutiny game, 3-2 win over the Revs, I still have the ticket stub.

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Eastern Confrence Final DC vs New England. It had everything: golazos, comebacks, contraversy, two teams that played at a level far beyond what we normally see from them. It was something I will never forget.

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there with you, so I know how ya feel.

18. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've been dying to see last year's match between New England and DC.

I would have seen it had a certain New England fan that posts here on BS followed through on a deal. I sent him a copy of a New England game from a couple of years back when Wolde Harris hit a great bicycle kick that at the time wasn't called a goal but replay showed that it was. I even went one step further and out of the goodness of my heart copied for him the Tim Howard 60 minutes interview, just kind of a bonus.

After several PMs and a long winter of waiting for the mail each day, I gave up on ever receiving that tape.

So if anyone would like to make a copy of that game and send it to me, I would gladly send you a copy of the game with the Wolde Harris goal. Or I also could copy any of the MLS Cups except for 99 and 2001. I also have the league's inaugural game and I even have the entire Colorado @ Columbus game where Balboa scored his bike kick. I even have the DC vs. Vasco De Gama game where DC won the Interamerican Cup.

If USMNT is more your style, I have the Gold Cup game where the US beat Brazil.

19. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    no need to send me anything in return, but enjoy:

http://media.yahoo.com/broadband/go/soccer/player?key=/mls/game/20041106nwewas

20. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
  21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Saw the Metros & DCU/NER playoff matches & agree that the impartial observer would find them all entertaining. There were some spectacular goals in Metros/SJE.
    However, my personal favorite was 7/12/03 Metros/NER 3-3 (Tim Howard finale). Metros went down 3-0, but we kept singing & the team came back to tie it up! Big crowd as part of triple-header involving MNT. Presaged 2-1 golden goal USOC win @ Rutgers 8/27/03.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn you. :p

That game (the 3-3 tie) just killed us. And I was down at Rutgers for that Open Cup match-up. I know we lost, but watching Mathis turtle as he was getting a beat down from Franchino was just classic! And then once he had a couple of players around him, he THEN grew a sack! :D

23. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Agree- the San Jose Comeback was GOLDEN

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I'll second that, amazing game.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002