Best milkshakes among the fast food chains?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Goodsport, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm partial to the black and white shake at Shake Shack.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    -- We have Shamrock shakes now too. Which is a miracle, as it's been a couple years since I've seen them in Ga.

-- Did you ever give the Chick-fil-A shake a try? I was just about to post here that their chocolate shakes are fabulous.

-- A close runner up for me would be the Birthday Cake shake Zaxby's had a year or two ago. It was cake-batter flavored shake, with chocolate whipped cream on top. The only downside for me was they blended in those hard candy disc sprinkle things though the shake and the texture got annoying.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds good! :)

I wish there was a Shake Shack near where I live. :(

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that I'd missed this article from last month:

That explains why, for the first time ever, every McDonald's around here (and everywhere else in the U.S., as it turns out) is selling the Shamrock Shake.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. :cool:

I did, shortly after I posted that. The chocolate shake I drank was indeed fabulous. :)

That sounds good!

As with the aforementioned Shake Shack, I wish there was a Zaxby's near where I live. :(

-G

6. beckya

beckya New Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Can't beat just a good ole cold Dairy Queen Shake!

7. tlq12Bet

tlq12Bet New Member

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i'm so hungry right now, for me i like all milkshake

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had my annual McDonald's Shamrock Shake earlier today. :thumbsup:

Will likely have at least one more on or near St. Patrick's Day next month.

-G

9. Novicio

Novicio New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I love a simple Wendy's Frosty!

10. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I drive to Greenville, SC for work, I always make sure to stop in Cookout, which is an NC-based chain growing into other states in the south. Their milkshakes are the best. Even the food is great. It is always packed when I stop into Durham's branch.

http://cookoutnc.com/

11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    finally tried McD's Shamrock Shake. It's OK ..... in a minty-sweet kind of way.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Had one once in the US, didn't like it.

Don't recall ever seeing them over here. Kind of like Lucky Charms, which if you wanted you would really have to go out of your way to find. Or that 'Irish' toilet paper (I think!? F***ing random...) which I have never heard of outside the US.

13. Surabhi

Surabhi New Member

May 8, 2013
    McDonald's left it up to local market operators to decide whether to offer the shake, and roughly half of McDonald's nationwide offered the shakes last year, now the best one.

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't at a fast food joint, but on Monday I was at one of the Sweet Tooth Fairy locations in Utah and had a "Cupshake" - mmmmmmmmm.

[​IMG]

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd been backpacking up in the Sierras, long before the Pacific crest trail. I started hallucinating about Foster Freeze root beer floats. Living on freeze dried foods does that to you. After a week I came down from the mountains and hitched a ride to Big Pine and the Foster Freeze there. Went through 3 before I bloated up.

Yep! Their Malts are excellent.

fatbastard and Beerking repped this.
  17. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has McDonald's changed their milkshake recipe? I recently had a chocolate milkshake and was blown away by how rich it was. You could really taste the chocolate. Years ago when I would get a chocolate shake it was sweet but I could barely tell the difference between chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.

18. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have tried most of these MS, and I gotta say that I like Carl's Jr. the best because of the ice cream content.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was visiting a friend in Sacramento recently and tried a chocolate milkshake at the newly-opened Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour there.

The milkshake was awesome, certainly richer and thicker than most shakes I've tasted before! :thumbsup:

-G

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to love Farrell's - they used to have a milkshake that was way too big to drink, in a giant-sized coca-cola type glass. I finally "drank" one of those before they closed here. Painfully too large, but I had to do it :) The first 3/4 of it was just as delicious as their regular-sized shakes, the last 1/4 was brutal.
    Nice to hear they are expanding again. That place is many of my best childhood memories.

Goodsport repped this.
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll expand to near where you live soon. :)

Next on my list whenever I visit there again: a sundae and/or another milkshake. :D

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had my annual Pumpkin Spice milkshake at Jack in the Box earlier today. :thumbsup:

I'll have my annual Egg Nog milkshake at Jack in the Box sometime soon as the Holiday Season approaches. :)

-G

23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Farrell's something fierce. My birthdays as a kid were always a toss-up between Farrell's and Pizza and Pipes (Pizza and live Pipe Organ joint, the organist could be play damn near anything and lots of classic arcade games though they were quite new at that time.) As for best Shake in the business I would say either Arby's mmmm Jamocha, or Jack in the Box, however if the concept works for them Red Robin's Burger Works will win hands down. For those not familiar it is Red Robin burger menu trimmed down for more of a fast food* style, though sadly the fries here were not the same as a sit down RR which is a big minus.

*Think 5 Guys, so not premade and waiting to be ordered, but not sit down waiter style either.

Goodsport repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had my annual McDonald's Shamrock Shake earlier today. :thumbsup:

I plan to have at least one more on or near St. Patrick's Day next month.

-G

edwardgr repped this.
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news: Just had my annual Pumpkin Pie milkshake today. :D

The bad news: For some reason, Jack in the Box (where I usually get my Pumpkin Pie milkshake) doesn't seem to be selling Pumpkin Pie milkshakes this year for the first time since I can remember, so with Halloween only a week away, I had to get one at Baskin-Robbins instead. It was still very good, but it was a bit more expensive. :(

Oddly, Jack in the Box didn't have an Egg Nog milkshake either which they usually start selling at the same time as the Pumpkin Pie milkshake. Hopefully that'll be rectified before Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around.

-G