Best Italian player in the last decade 2000s

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy08, Jul 9, 2012.

?

Best Italian player in the last decade 2000s

1. Totti

49.1%
  2. Del Piero

5.3%
  3. Pirlo

45.6%
  4. Vieri

1.8%
  5. Buffon

24.6%
  6. De Rossi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Cassano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Miccoli

1.8%
  9. Cannavaro

7.0%
  10. Nesta

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Vieri is in the list, I'm surprised Baggio isn't as he was in my opinion the best player throughout the 90's and early 00's. Vieri faded after 04 so its not like Baggio shouldn't be considered or at least get some votes.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Baggio was a great during the 90s as well as a rising star in the late 80s. He had a good season prior to the 02 WC but that doesn't get him on that list.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #53 falvo, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    If Vieri gets a place on this list, I don't see any reason on why Roby can't. Christian didn't do anything after 2005 , playing for 5 different teams in 5 seasons scoring a total of only 14 goals during that period. If anything, Baggio was the only reason Brescia was not relegated from 2000-2004 and they got relegated the very next year when he had already retired.

4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Best NT player in the 2000s:

Best Italian NT player from 2000-2006: Totti

What did Italy NT do between 2007-2010: nothing.

Therefore, best NT player between 2000-2010, Totti.

Simple no?

DOctore13 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd say Totti too but sadly he is mostly remembered for these two incidents...

6. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    the first of those is absolutely inexcusable

the second of those is not his fault. He was on the receiving end of a controversial/wrong call by one of the most corrupt officials and the biggest screw jobs in the history of sport.

I choose to remember him for being an integral piece of our 2006 squad

7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2006 was a team effort it wasnt won just thanks to one player.

8. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Of course it was a team effort. That said, would Italy have done as well with Iaquinta playing as the second striker instead of Totti? Or a partnership of Toni and Inzaghi?

9. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    would italy of done the same without Marcello Lippi ?

10. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The world will never know. But what does that have to do with supporting or refuting the claim that Totti is the best italian player in the last decade (which is what this thread's poll currently shows)?

11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no they lost the euro final and didnt do anything till 2006 when Lippi took over.

12. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think its Pirlo italy are completely lost with out him.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Iaquinta scored a beautiful important goal (on a Pirlo assist) against Ghana. Its a shame for what happened to him as he had a lot of promising talent as a youngster.

14. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I believe I have said this before but the difference for me is that Pirlo needs a destroyer in the midfield with him to allow him to do his thing while Totti will always be Totti even if he shared the pitch with 10 quadrapalegics in wheel chairs.

In any rate I don't see how you could even claim Pirlo as being superior to Buffon, who is perhaps the best ever at his position, and even Cannavaro who was other worldly in 2006.

Let's not pretend that Iaquinta or Gilardino or Toni or Inzaghi were ever Totti's quality.

15. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    and totti needs a good team around him to win something...........so that pirlo point is void.

16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I strongly disagree.

And let me add (no disrespect Falvo) that it is because of comments like this that he retired from international duty in 2006.

17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #67 totti fan, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Even Maradona (the greatest player of all time) needed some good players around him.

edit - and despite being badly weakened due to Buffon and Vieri missing to injury in 2000, Totti was 2 mins away from carrying us to Euro victory.

18. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    so using your logic and only comparing Pirlo and Totti:

two good performances from Italy in the decade 2000 and 2006.

in 2000 Totti was a key player
    in 2006 Pirlo and Totti were key players.

Totti 2 v Pirlo 1 - Totti wins.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #69 falvo, Feb 26, 2014
    I also would tend to disagree with that statement and I certainly don't believe that he in anyway deserved that rep. Sadly, as you stated that is why he retired from playing for Italy and those two incidents are what he is remembered for internationally and across Europe.

When I was traveled through the USA, England , France or Germany during that period (2000-2005) and mention Totti's name during that period and how he played for Italy, this is what a lot of people remembered most. Just like everyone remembers Baggio for the missed pk and even though its sad, its true.

As far as Pirlo vs. Totti. There is no comparison because they are two different types of players, playing different positions.

20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #70 Nek Sanalet, Feb 26, 2014
    Pirlo, Totti, and Baggio are the best non-goalie/defender players of modern Italian football. The conversation should end there. Much of the content on this thread is childish bickering. Lets celebrate both of them for what they accomplished for their country, instead of tearing one apart to praise the other. Whoever you prefer… its 1A and 1B in reality.

Overall though, there is no doubt that Pirlo had (or will continue to have) the better international career.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pirlo had the good fortune of being on a team that made 4 finals so that is something that can't be matched. Baggio sadly never had the chance to play in a Euro Cup and Totti retired after 06 otherwise I think he could have helped at least in 2008, 2010 and possibly even 2012.

22. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is Maldini?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After Baresi, Scirea, Vierchowod and maybe Cabrini, I think Maldini was the best of all time. Sadly, he faded in 2002 after Ahn burned him! ;)

24. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why would you bring up the game against Korea? What kind of Italy fan are you?

Maldini faded after 2002? I never saw him play a bad game. On the contrary he found a new home when he switched from lb to cb. Faded after 02? Surely you jest. Do I need to list the trophies he won after "2002". That was a joke right? Hence the smiley?

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #75 falvo, Feb 26, 2014