best hangover food??

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by 655321, Oct 26, 2003.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Whether it's late at night in hopes of stopping one to form, or something the next morning to help the pain, food is a must (the only thing more important is water and/or Gatorade).

Late at night, you can't beat a big burrito from some small taqueria. Unfortunately, SF pretty much shuts down after twelve, so you have to go into some pretty sketchy hoods in order to find one. It's well worth it, though.

In the morning, you can't touch a full English breakfast, if you're actually able to stomach anything at all.

Anyone else have a program?

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've always liked something REALLY spicy like a quesadilla loaded with jalapeños and a cold beer or a real good bloody mary. Then lots of water and a nap. After last nights DC game, I put it to use today....

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Trust me, this works: For breakfast start with a large glass of grapefruit juice followed by a good bowl of oatmeal mixed with fruit of some kind. Follow that with cold beer and you're all set:D

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A nice tall stack of pancakes.

Although the British brekky works well, too. And don't forget the beans...

5. Ceebs

Ceebs New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    A pound and a half of broccoli, steamed. Cleans you out, re-hydrates and re-electrolytes you.

6. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    gatorade.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    some guys might find it disgusting but a soup of cow's feet and guts is the best for the hangovers with a lot of lemmon juice and vegetables!

8. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    aww! i'm vegetarian.

my friend loves pickels .. and especially in hangover. i often go for first gatorade, my electrolytes get sometimes so unbalanced that i'll just fall down if i try to stand up directly after waking .. coffee does some good (an americano), and generally the salty items should work ..

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gatorade's a good one. As is good old fashioned water. Especially while you're drinking.

One of my drinking buddies back home, he's always have either a bottled water or a pint glass of water at his side, alongside his beer.

He'd get a buzz while drinking, but never complained of hangovers. Must be a method to his madness...

10. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    I have friends who drink Pedialyte after a long night of drinking.

--My breakfast, the day after, is always a 6-inch tuna sub and a huge glass of orange juice. And then plenty of mouthwash.

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    swallowed? :D

12. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Greasy grits and eggs from the Waffle House before you go to bed that night/early morning. :D

Before going to bed there's of course Gatorade. If you don't have sports drinks you can substitute 1000 mg of Vitamin C, some B complex, and a lot of water.

Dehydration is the biggest contributor to hangovers. Make sure to drink some water while you're drinking too.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Gatorade, water & leftover pizza right out of the fridge.

14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

Their was a show on Food Network that talked about Frisco burritos. I forgot which district was known for it, was it Presidio or the Mission?

15. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Re: Re: best hangover food??

The Mission, definitely. They have taquerias on pretty much every corner. I think I've tried them all. I just found out today that I got an apartment there to move into next month. It's the best district in the city, that's for sure...

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    before you sleep, the magic stuff is hummus dip - at the very least, drink a hge glass of water with 1 aspirin

or

the next morning - dry toast and either gatorade or V8

17. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I'd go with strong soup (not cambells, chinese or vietnamese or whathave you, a really strong broth). Don't know if its the broth or the salt or what. And cayenne supposedly cleans you out.
    But I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to say the best cure is abstinence.

18. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aleve seemed to work best for me out of the pain medicines.

Gatorade is a must.

Sourdough Pretzels were always good.

19. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I used to swear by the Gatorade and 2 advil and never had any problems. Hasn't been working as well of late. I've also heard a lot of people say that the Gatorade has too much sugar to be truly effective -- I'm no doctor/nutritionist, so I can't say otherwise. I do know a lot of folks who swear by the Pedialyte though.

My favorites are purely local, but feed into what others have said, especially w/r/t grease and/or something spicy or a soup. I generally head to 5 Guys for a strong burger and greasy fries the next day if I'm at home or down to Raku for their Korean Chile Beef (a semi-spicy soup with sliced beef, noodles and vegetables) and an iced tea. Both work fine for me.

I also have a friend who swears by Liver Pills right before bed. Anyone ever tried this -- apparently they sell something called "Liverite" at GNC stores.

20. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    For those who are saying Advil and such, I'm pretty sure that alcohol and ibuprofin are a no-no together. Causes liver damage. If you drink regularly, or when you do drink, stick to regular aspirin.

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I've always been told that's Tylenol you shouldn't mix alcohol with...could be either, I suppose.

22. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I'm really not sure, but isn't ibuprofrin the main ingrediant in both Advil and tylenol? I've given up both, since I decided I can live without them better than I can live without alcohol, and aspirin is cheap as dirt. If you've got pain that aspirin can't handle, you need to do something about it besides just take pills.

23. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Water, gatorade, big greasy breakfast: eggs and hashbrowns, etc. And I try to eat crackers or something before I go to sleep.

Any other greasy food will do, though. My dad swears by McDonalds.

Never tried Pedialyte.

24. Ceebs

Ceebs New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Tylenol is acetaminophen, Advil is ibuprofen, and aspirin (though I know you didn't ask about it) is acetosalycilate. Assuming you're not reprising Nick Cage's role in "Leaving Las Vegas", or don't have a pre-existing liver condition, an OTC painkiller with Gatorade to stave off a hangover now and then won't kill you.

Your body metabolizes one drink equivalent per hour. A drink equivalent being 1.5 oz liquor (80 proof), 5 oz wine, or 12 oz beer. It would be best to wait until you think you've metabolized as much alcohol as possible before taking any of the above, to avoid liver damage.

25. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Herb and grease