Best goals of US Soccer History

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by brandonplaysguitar, Jun 19, 2010.

?

What is the greatest goal in US history?

1. Paul Caligiuri vs. Trinidad & Tobago -- WC qualifier, Nov. 19, 1989

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Joe Gaetjens vs. England -- World Cup, June 29, 1950

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Brian McBride vs. Mexico -- World Cup, June 17, 2002

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Earnie Stewart vs. Colombia -- World Cup, June 22, 1994

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Brian McBride vs. Portugal -- World Cup, June 5, 2002

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michael Bradley vs. Slovenia -- World Cup, June 18, 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Eric Wynalda vs. Switzerland -- World Cup, June 18, 1994

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
  3. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Other: Maurice Edu vs. Slovenia; June 18, 2010.

4. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other: Feilhaber vs. Mexico June 24, 2007 Gold Cup

I'm gonna be telling my grandkids about that goal. It was so clutch and so pretty.

5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep other Benny's volley in the Gold Cup. The goals against Portugal and Mexico in the WC are nice also.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan vs Mexico in 2002 WC. That's my fave.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread seems to be about best goals, but the ESPN list is about most important goals.

For most important, I think ESPN is right, it's Caligiuri's. For best, I'd suggest an obscure one: Ted Eck against East Germany in 1990. He dribbled three-quarters of the length of the field before shooting.

8. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Ernie Stewart goal in '94 against Colombia was freaking epic, great ball by Tab Ramos setting him up.
    That goal took U.S soccer to a place it had never been before, we had just knocked off one of the best teams in the world, in the World Cup, in the U.S no less!
    It may be early to say but I've gotta put that M. Bradley goal right up there in the top 3 or 4 though, wow, just wow.

9. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A topic we all love to discuss :D

As far as team buildup, McBride's goal versus Mexico was shear brilliance. An excellent run by Reyna who feeds the oft-forgotten Josh Wolff to lay back the perfect pass to Brian McBride, who sent it home with amazing precision and ease. Against Mexico. Doesn't get much better than that.

As far as set piece goals, nobody will forget Wynalda's wonder strike against the Swiss at the Silverdome. As much shit as that man takes these days for his commentary, deserved or not, the man could ball on his day. And, at his peak, would certainly be starting up top for this team in South Africa. Sensational.

Finally, as far as best individual goal, I'm going with Donovan versus Slovenia. Granted, we don't see many individual goals scored by Americans at World Cups, but this was a case of our best player carrying the team on his back and tearing the Slovenian keeper a new facehole. Can't stop watching the replay of this one.

10. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Man, I forgot about that Feilhaber goal. That one was unbelievable! No way he could do that with the Walmart ball in South Africa.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGA2W4d5_E"]YouTube- Benny Feilhaber goal in 2007 Gold Cup Final[/ame]

11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most important goal: Caliguiri's vs T&T -- we make the first World Cup of the modern era, and perhaps clinch hosting in 1994.

Most stunning goal: Feilhaber's vs Mexico Gold Cup -- stunning bolt out of the blue, struck just right.

Most satisfying goal: Donovan's vs Mexico WC Round of 16 -- nail in coffin vs our #1 rival with the whole world watching.

Most beautiful goal: Donovan's vs Brazil Confed Cup Final-- breath-taking counter at top speed for 70 yards vs #1 team in the world.
    (Honorable mention here is McBride's header on a nice sequence vs Portugal WC 2002.)

Most clutch do-or-die goal: Bradley's vs Slovenia.

1 person likes this.
  12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One that doesn't outrank Caligiuri in the important category, but which deserves some sort of honorable mention, is John O'Brien vs. Portugal. Because of the way it got the ball rolling in the right direction and set the tone for future events, I think it outranks McBride's in the same game in importance.

In the same way, I think Donovan's on Friday outranks Bradley's on Friday in importance, although it's too early to judge where it ranks on that list because we don't yet know whether it helped to get us to the second round or not.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on just about every front. Though I would also list Wynalda's free kick against Switzerland highly in my honorable mention list for most beautiful and most stunning.

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest Goal in US Soccer History...

Scored TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard to Donovan to Altidore to Dempsey to Donovan -- GOLAZO!!!!

Beautiful, breathtaking counter. Crucial, dramatic moment. History's judgment on the line. It had EVERYTHING.

15. MeastFootball

MeastFootball New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

16. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. It was a historic goal whose weight and magnitude was understood by more Americans than any other.

Landon is officially the Greatest American Player. He just pulled a Michael Jordan.

17. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Poll Fail.

That's not due to the thread starter. It's due to the best efffinng player to don a USMNT jersey.

LD is the man. It's not the artistry of today's finish, but the push he made to take the ball through midfield, serve a dangerous ball in the run of play and then to follow the play to savagely put away the rebound. SMART, SMART, SMART. Oh, and did I mention this happened at the 91+ minute with a do-or-die advancement scenarios? Best ever.

Caliguiri's goal may be the shot heard round the world, while Dononvan's goal was the shot seen around the world.

I bet the Slovenians aren't doing their wood faerie dance now. Efffnng douchebags in Charlie Brown strips.

18. YoungJT

YoungJT New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Yes todays goal was the best and most important in our history. Donovan is so good that it know it kills every other nation that does not call it soccer

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this one is over now.

20. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I really wish I could edit the poll because that was incredible. Not the prettiest goal, or the most important, but certainly the most dramatic.

21. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    Landon Donovan vs Algeria!!!!

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Other. Definitely other.

23. Colombolq

Colombolq Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have a new #1........

24. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon Donovan just rewrote part of this list. Perhaps the new first choice under "Most Clutch" using your categories?

25. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    A New Challenger Appears!