Best goal in Metro History......

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Rose8675, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Rose8675

Rose8675 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    Just wanted to get some people's opinion on yet they think is the best goal.

My vote goes to Saverese's second goal against the Tampa Bay Mutiny in 96. His bicycle kick tied the game at 3-3 after being down 3-0. We eventually won in a shoot-out.

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever see Mathis' goal vs Dallas where he dribbled through almost the whole team?

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto to Red Card's pick

4. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    We had a poll on MetroFanatic.com last year just after Mathis scored that goal. Clint's goal won, 76% to 24%.

5. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only dribbled past two players ;)

But it was the 70-yard run that made that goal one to remember.

6. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    Agree that the Mathis goal was spectacular...

Ahhh, but its so nice to reminisce on those early Gio days.... God I miss him. :)

Funny you should mention that goal, Rose8675, I just watched that seasons highlight tape yesterday. ;)

7. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Mathis goal was pretty sweet .... however it was , I tink 98' vs Tampa. We were tied up and needed the W pretty badly. With seconds left donadoni dribbled the ball into the far right corner of the box and danced around two defenders...then gave a soft touch to Pantufo who then nutmegged a defender to pass it back to Donadoni ...Roberto had houser and kinnear all over him and then just tapped it back to pantufo who was wide open on the left side of the goal ... who slotted it home for the goal.

The whole play took about 15 seconds to unravel and there was about only 30 seconds on the clock. Sweetest Metro goal I remember.

Although if you want the best goal ever.... it can't be anything other then Vermes telling Arena to sit down and shut up .. during the rain soaked playoff match at home. Vermes went up ( round 12 i think ) and put it home... sending us back to DCfor another one. We may have lost the series but that was the best Metro goal ever.... it was in the playoffs, it won the match for us, it was against DC, Vermes told Arena to fook off and it was pouring cats n dogs... mathis had a nice run and beat two guys but this one by Vermes was just a bit more special.

8. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    I'll never forget that Vermes goal... limping up (round 11 IIRC)... "If I shoot, we win!" ... classic!

9. Rose8675

Rose8675 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    I remember that one. It was in 96, right? There was some controversey over whether or not he could take the 11th round shot because he left the field due to injury, but was not replaced. He looked at the ref and yelled, "Hey Essy! If I shoot, we win." And he limped to the ball and scored. It was like an ending out of a Disney movie.

10. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Vermes goal was fantastic.....

A Savarese goal I will never forget...don't remember the specifics, but I think it was against New England....Huge rain storm...miserable conditions at GS.

Ball is slotted pass the keeper and gets stuck in a puddle on the goal line....mad dash ensues from Savarese and the defense, with Gio just getting a toe to it to put us ahead.....as exciting as it gets.

11. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    hurtado had a beautiful one time volley from the top of the box....

but the mathis goal has to be the best...

as for the most important goal, i don't think a shootout goal should count....though that was pretty awesome....

petke's header goal in dc in overtime when we were down a man was pretty friggin good (i think matthaus took the free kick)

and i'll never forget the race to the ball in the puddle on the goal line....

gio played with his heart and celebrated like no other.....

12. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    when mathis headed that one goal this year in the season opener

13. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    I was a big fan of Butler's last minute goal against Miami last year. Gave us the win, and it was exciting cause he just came on as a sub and didnt even have a name on his jersey.

14. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    rhett hardy's goal

15. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villegas had a couple of sweet Golden Goal bombs, but my favorite all-time Metro goal was in '96 scored by Ian Hennessy. Tab dribbled the world, then laid off to Henno for an empty netter. Henno just shrugged as if to say, "I don't deserve this."

16. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Number one (as Tommy Smith would scream "WHHOOOOA!!") is a no-brainer. I think Clint's sweeping, swerving free kick against KC was also a shocking goal. Definitely a thing of beauty. Nicola Caricula's long range knuckleball goal (I can't remember against what team) was also very exciting.

17. Rsherwin

Rsherwin New Member

Jun 16, 2001
    Mathis' full field run wins, no question

18. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Mark Chung has scored a lot of long range bombs that have been quite impressive. He gets the overall nod on his sizzling strikes that always seemed to go right into the upper corners with precision.

19. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nico's was away at Columbus if I remember correctly . It was right off a free kick .

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm shocked no one remembers Donodoni's freekick goal at New England . I think it was the 2nd year . It was an amazing around the wall into the upper corner .

21. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    ....Donadoni.... Savarese... Pitufo... Harty.... back when Major League Soccer was still innocent.....

22. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Danny Hernandez' free kick goal last season was a thing of beauty, Vermes' shootout goal was tremendous, and Mathis' long run through Dallas was great, but I'll always be partial to Gio's bicycle kick goal in 96. It was our 1st win. It was the first game I was at live, since my HS soccer team made the trip up from PA. Everything seemed perfect that day.

JMac

23. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    JMac, I'll never forget the beauty of that day either. Gio, the crowds, the desperate hope in them to not lose... again... them figting like it was the last game they'd ever play... (wonder if the team of today could ever stage a comback like that)... and pulling it out like that :)

I'm getting so nostalgic reading this thread... *sniff* ;)

24. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    another big goal in my book is when PEtke scored against Colorado at home and he wore the shirt saying "august 16, 2000 we will get revenge" that was great, what would of been better is if he did that at Raymond James Stadium, he would been killed but, atleast he would of had the balls to do it.

25. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Petke scored that goal against Colorado, it was the week after the Tampa game