Best games of last gen?

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by teammellieIRANfan, May 11, 2014.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #1 teammellieIRANfan, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Seeing as how next generation, underwhelming as it has been thus far, is here, I was curious about what you think were the best games of the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii generation.
    Doesnt have to be groundbreaking, but just what you think was a well made game and experience.

In no particular order, here's what I got.

Dead Space: One of my favorite franchises of all time. Maybe because Im a huge fan of sci-fi horror movies like Alien, The Thing, Event Horizon etc. So this game franchise was just a real treat.
    The setting, the graphics, lighting, mood, atmosphere, SOUND was of highest quality. Particularly the sound.
    Its also just a fantastic game because of all the different mechanics like the stasis, kinesis, zero gravity, weapons/mining tools that blend together so damn good in the setting Dead Space takes place.

Dead Space 2 is my favorite of all three games. It fine-tuned on all the things which made the first game so great. I loved the zero G sections, especially having full maneuverability, unlike in the first game.
    I played DS2 4-5 times, and will probably revisit it again.
    I even got one of the novels (Dead Space Martyr). Dont know how many more there are, but I may just get them, given my unhealthy obsession for sci-fi horror lol

Dead Space 3 was my least favorite and left bit of a bitter taste. I wont go into further detail.
    I hope Visceral makes a Dead Space for next gen consoles and that they make it like their first two games.

Batman Arkham Asylum and City:
    There hasnt been many good ones, but rocksteady nailed it.
    After having replayed the first game just recently, I think I will have to say its my fav.
    Dont exactly know why, something about it that strikes me as more atmospheric and just better overall experience. I really liked the interview tapes of the characters spread throughout the map.
    It reminded me a lot of Dead Space and Bioshock audiorecordings that were left by other people in those worlds. It added to the mood and atmosphere.

Bioshock: Fantastic game for all the reasons I have mentioned with Batman Arkham and Dead Space.
    I know there are some complaints that the shooting and gameplay is a little bland, but those flaws gets trumped because of the atmosphere of Bioshock. I didnt even pay attention to it, because I was completetly sucked into the world.
    Bioshock Infinite was a mindf.uck. To some extent, that game changed the way I look at other video games and their stories/narratives.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Platforming heaven, nuff said.

Last of Us: Same stuff that I mentioned with other ones.
    Great story, setting, graphics, sound etc.

NORML and General Disarray repped this.
  2. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great thread....

I'm going with

Skyrim-I've spent hours upon hours with this game, exploring everything talking to everyone.....mastering archery and magic... became a member of the theives guild....I could go on and on....one of my favorites...

Fallout 3/New Vegas- if you haven't played either of these 2 games, do yourself a favor and pick them up...you can get both games with all the DLC for around 40 bucks... a post-apocalyptic RPG, one takes place in the DC/Virgina area, the other in Vegas...like Skyrim there is so much to do in the game..

Tomb Raider- Rebooting the series, I think they've done a good job in starting this over...had a lot of fun figuring out what was going on with the island, thought the storyline was decent...little bit of RPG thrown in with the leveling up your skills.... great game...

NORML and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    my favorites of the past generation:

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect 2
    GTA V
    Red Dead Redemption
    Dark Souls
    Fallout 3
    Dead Space
    Assassin's Creed 2

NORML and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  4. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    For me, Beatles Rock Band (and to a lesser degree Rock Band 3) was the best game of last generation. There's no way I played any other game/series 1/10th as much as I played RB. By the end I had 4 plastic guitars, 2 sets of drums, 1 keyboard, 3 mics, and one real guitar. Had over 1k songs too.

Honorable Mentions: Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto V, DJ Hero, and MLB: The Show.

Most disappointing from last gen was Gran Turismo 5.

teammellieIRANfan and NORML repped this.
  5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great picks on; Bioshock, RedDead, GTAV, & MLB: The Show

Call of Duty 2: cause it was one of the games that convinced me to upgrade to a 360.

Geomtry Wars 1 & 2: One cause it was the other game that convinced me to upgrade and two cause it was Geomtry Wars1 but better.

Journey: Still feel this game broke open the idea what a person can experience co-operatively story wise.

Gears of War 1: Loved the whole series but gonna go with the first cause it was the first game to introduce online co-op campaign play to me, the first game had an excellent horror game vibe to it and the first online competitve play was my thing for a good long time.

Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare: awesome multiplayer, awesome campaign. For me the peak of COD.

Portal 1: Had no idea what the game was, started playing it and didn't stop until I heard the song... I wanna say the only other game last gen I started and finished in one sitting was Journey.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i forgot to include Portal 2, which was brilliant

7. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I forgot all about Journey and Portal. Dunno how that happened. :confused:
    Yeah, they'll be in my list as well.

They are are unique in their own way and really stand out.

8. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have never played Fallout 3 and the Elder Scroll games (Oblivions Skyrim).
    I think its a prejudice I have against large open world games, thinking it is going to be overwhelming and that I cant be bothered with such games.

But from what I hear from friends who have played them, they really rave about the games and say it is pretty much all they've played that year they came out respectively.
    I dont know, one of these days, I may just have to give them a go.

9. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Skyrim has a lot going on..... in Skyrim, I could be working on the main quest and next thing I know I'm in the middle of getting into the Thieves Guild....

10. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    See, that just sounds too overwhelming. lol