Best Free Kick taken by a KC player

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Feb 22, 2011.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for whatever reason I was thinking about individual efforts and I was thinking about Kei last season in Colorado doing something on the endline to a Crapids defender that just made him look so silly and I got thinking about best free kicks I've seen by players wearing KC kits......

anyone have a better one than this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRWvUyWqdI"]YouTube - Kansas City Wizards vs. Columbus Crew 09/15/07[/ame]

and yes I've awoken from drawn out slumber that was football 2010- with Europa League finals and World Cups, i needed a break but the excitement is coming back.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't recall many better KC free kicks, but it does remind me of Kerry's wonder strike (goto 1:05 in the video). It was pretty much teed up like a free kick anyway.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSCNHDUBqc"]YouTube - 07/29/07: Chivas USA @ Kansas City Wizards | Game Highlights[/ame]

3. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I sometimes forget how barren that place was when we played there.

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zavagnin strike (from above) and the Davy one against LA a few years back are two of my favorite all time goals.

6. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea I was going to say I thought Davy's vs LA was a better strike from distance.

I dont care if the keeper miss played this free, thats part of the placing of spot and the actual kick. I was watching this game on DVR late night and woke up my dogs and then the whole house when they started barking from my celebration.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBIa-52NBI"]YouTube - Week 23 Goal of the Week Nominee: Davy Arnaud[/ame]

Claudio had some really nice ones. Cant find the videos but remember a few on the Cauldron end at CAB where he was set up to our left of the goal and put it in the near post upper 90 w/ spin going to our left

7. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This still makes me grin ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKQEjJcur4"]YouTube - Gol de Claudio "Piojo" López de mitad de cancha - Kansas City Wizards[/ame]

8. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QDDyl8olc"]YouTube - Kansas City Wizards - Best Goals 2009.[/ame]

#2 on here is a wicked Lopez free kick.

Davys 2 goal vs TFC that year (opener I think?) were incredible

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Jose Burciaga have a cracker against FC Dallas or Houston a few years ago?

10. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Funny story about this goal...

I was producing the broadcast from the TV booth that day, so I was sitting between Wheelock and Brian Roberts. When KZ hit that ball and it went in, B-Rob started laughing out loud out of pure shock and excitement. I had to go flying across him to hit his "cough" button so it didn't come across on air. If you listen real close at the 1:11ish mark you can hear the beginning of his laughter.

11. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    What about Igor's to win the USOC?

Low and hard around (through?) the wall, off the bottom of Henry Ring's hand to the ground, all the way up and off the bottom of the crossbar, and then back down and off the back of Ring's head and in.

At least that's how I remember it.

There's got to be video of that somewhere, right? I know we have it in our archives.

12. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't think I've ever seen it.............

13. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    It doesn't appear to be online. I'll see if our video guy has a digital version of it. All of that stuff exists, but a bunch of it is on VHS.

14. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I was thinking about this one as well. Would love to see it again.

15. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Worst case scenario, I know I have a DVD somewhere of that game. Somebody from the Cauldron/Mystics, I want to say it was Jace Hentges, made a bunch of copies of it for people.

If I don't have it at my place, there's a chance it might be floating around in my parents' basement with all the stuff my mother won't ever throw away like my high school letter jacket and my tee ball trophy from 1988.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this and sealy's were the two that first popped in my mind when i saw the thread title. i think sealy's is prettier, but i might have to rank igor's higher because of the importance.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Jace. I have the DVD if you need it.

18. soccerpatch11

soccerpatch11 Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking Preki, Igor, Claudio, and Davy. Then I remembered Zavagnin scoring in 2000 off a touch and hit free kick, I think this might have been his first goal for the Wizards. For some reason though I can not remember any of Preki's.

19. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the first post Sealy? I can't see it. That was the first one that popped into my head. Yes, Claudio had a couple of nice ones. I seem to recall Jewsbury absolutely drilling a free kick home once; it wasn't elegant but certainly had some venom.

20. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    That was against the Metroscum, right?

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe so. I believe it's in the video you guys did of Zavagnin when he retired. I can't get on Youtube so I can't verify.

22. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I remember one of the goals scored by Onandi Lowe for us in 2001 was a very nice free kick at Arrowhead. Don't remember the opponent.

23. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes the one i posted is Sealy's against Columbus

and although i've looked at all the one's posted since, I can't help but that it is still the best one so far.

24. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, Simuntenkov in the USOC final (like Merlin said). Someone was in the wall, peeled off (swung the gate open) on the kick and Igor nailed it hard and low through the hole. Keep got a mit to it but couldn't stop and it rattled around and added insult to injury when it banged off the back of his head and in. This was (late) in a final, against Chicago again, it was the GWG that gave us our only USOC hardware.

Goal had:
    Teamwork
    Skill
    Pressure
    Execution
    Significance
    Legacy
    Hardware
    as contributing factors

25. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    You know it's a great thread idea if it brings Beech out of the woodwork. All great memories here. That Chivas/Zavagnin game attendance actually didn't look half bad for Arrowhead. That's the saddest part.

I don't think I'll ever forget that Sealy - Columbus game. I'd never seen a comeback like that live with two goals back to back turning a loss into a win.