Best football players of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by stcv1974, Sep 19, 2014.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    2005/06
    PLPOS: Thierry Henry
    (0 Player of the Month awards). Also FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.70 (3rd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Steven Gerrard (7.09 avg rating, 1 Player of the Month award, for April). Also PFA Player of the Year.

2006/07
    PLPOS: Cristiano Ronaldo
    (2 Player of the Month awards, for November and December). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.09 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)

2007/08
    PLPOS: Cristiano Ronaldo
    (2 Player of the Month awards, for January and March). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.07 (2nd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Wayne Rooney (also 7.07 rating now, but still listed first, 1 Player of the Month award, for October)

2008/09
    PLPOS: Nemanja Vidic
    (1 Player of the Month award, for January).
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.50 (30th in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Steven Gerrard (7.18 avg rating, 1 Player of the Month award, for March). Also FWA Player of the Year.

PFA Player of the Year was Ryan Giggs

2009/10
    PLPOS: Wayne Rooney
    (1 Player of the Month award, for January). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.69 (3rd in list)*

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Cesc Fabregas (7.85 avg rating, 0 Player of the Month awards)*

* Note: This 2009/10 season, as previously highlighted, was one of a couple of outlier seasons in terms of DBS Calcio ratings, for whatever reason (could be partly because of the sources used that season perhaps)

2010/11
    PLPOS: Nemanja Vidic
    (0 Player of the Month awards).
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.64 (20th in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Scott Parker (6.95 avg rating, 1 Player of the Month award, for February). Also FWA Player of the Year.

PFA Player of the Year was Gareth Bale.

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Giggs winning the 08/09 award was the biggest "here's a life-time award for you" I've ever seen :ROFLMAO:

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    DBS Calcio rating was 6.56, but only over 18 games.

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    For the record the updated DBS Calcio rating of Van Persie is 0.02 above that of Fabregas for 2009/10, so that's similar to the McManaman/Wise case from 1994/95 (Van Persie having 15 rated games).

2011/12

PLPOS: Vincent Kompany
    (0 Player of the Month awards)
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.94 (3rd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Sergio Aguero (6.99 avg rating, 0 Player of the Month awards)

PFA and FWA Player of the Year was Robin van Persie. I haven't been adding notes about the DBS Calcio ratings and monthly awards for players winning these by default, but in this case it seems appropriate given that his rating of 6.95 puts him 2nd in the DBS Calcio list, while he won 1 Player of the Month award (nobody got more than 1 this season), for October.

2012/13
    PLPOS: Gareth Bale
    (1 Player of the Month award, for February). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.94 (3rd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Juan Mata (7.24 avg rating, 1 Player of the Month award, for October)

2013/14
    PLPOS: Luis Suarez
    (1 Player of the Month award, for December). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.52 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)*

Note: This 2013/14 season, as previously highlighted, was one of a couple of outlier seasons in terms of DBS Calcio ratings, for whatever reason (could be partly because of the sources used that season perhaps)

2014/15
    PLPOS: Eden Hazard
    (0 Player of the Month awards). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.92 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)

2015/16
    PLPOS: Jamie Vardy
    (2 Player of the Month awards, for October and November). Also FWA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.17 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)

FWA Player of the Year was Riyad Mahrez (his DBS Calcio 2nd place rating of 7.05 rising noticeably, like that of his team-mate, since the previous times I'd posted the numbers, indicating addition of some of the more generous ratings sources I suppose for this season as well as some other recent ones quite possibly, so not only earlier ones)

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    2016/17
    PLPOS: N'Golo Kante
    (0 Player of the Month awards). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.91 (3rd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Eden Hazard (7.10 avg rating, 1 Player of the Month award, for October).

2017/18
    PLPOS: Mohamed Salah
    (3 Player of the Month awards, for November, February and March). Also PFA and FWA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.06 (3rd in list)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Kevin De Bruyne (7.32 avg rating, 0 Player of the Month awards)

2018/19
    PLPOS: Virgil van Dijk
    (1 Player of the Month award, for December). Also PFA Player of the Year.
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.12 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)

FWA Player of the Year was Raheem Sterling

2019/20
    PLPOS: Kevin De Bruyne
    (0 Player of the Month awards). Also PFA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 7.41 (DBS Calcio Player of the Season)

FWA Player of the Year was Jordan Henderson

2020/21
    PLPOS: Ruben Dias
    (0 Player of the Month awards). Also FWA Player of the Year
    DBS Calcio rating: 6.59 (not listed on the media voting page due to starting the season at Benfica, but would be towards the end of the top 20)

DBS Calcio Player of the Season: Kevin De Bruyne (7.13 avg rating, 0 Player of the Month awards). Also PFA Player of the Year.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I wasn't sure where to put this but Match of the Day magazine (which is aimed at children) recently came out with a top 25 of all time:

25. Matthaus
    24. Ronaldinho
    23. Eusebio
    22. Yashin
    21. Romario
    20. Maldini
    19. Charlton
    18. Baggio
    17. Muller
    16. Zico
    15. Baresi
    14. Best
    13. Van Basten
    12. Garrincha
    11. Platini
    10. Ronaldo
    9. Puskas
    8. Zidane
    7. Beckenbauer
    6. Di Stefano
    5. Cruyff
    4. Pele
    3. Cristiano Ronaldo
    2. Maradona
    1. Messi

I was actually surprised by how 'normal' the list was. I expected it to have a much more modern slant to it.

7. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020

LOL thats how pretty much the list gonna look in future in popular masses

After all these massive propagandas and narratives, hyperbole of social media.
    God knows when probably via some other means probably the narrative and popular outlook will get twisted once more perhaps like 20-30 years from now on

Lincon18762 repped this.
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d certainly have Zidane and the Brazilian Ronaldo higher than C Ronaldo . Plus I’d place Zico and Eusabio in the top 10

Even Romario seems low ... Cruyff himself repeatedly named Romario as the best player he’d ever worked with ...

9. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    The list is almost identical to the latest one from FourFourTwo.

18 of the 25 players are in exactly the same position. 4 have moved up or down just one place. The other three are Cristiano Ronaldo (up two places), Baggio (replaces a fellow Italian, old-timer Meazza, in the same position), and Matthaus (up five places to 25, replacing Carlos Alberto).

The FourFourTwo list, in turn, was of course similar to that of Voetbal International.

The Top 10 is also the same as that published not long ago on the BBC website, although the BBC did not place the players in order.

comme repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WrongTaTa

When Michael laudrup plays like a dream, a magic illusion, determined to show his new team his extreme abilities, no one in the world comes anywhere near his level.
    Cruyff

Laudrup is of the most difficult players I have worked with. When he gives 80–90% he is still by far the best..” said Cruyff.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well it’s not wrong as I only read that fact yesterday .. that’s why I just mentioned it.

Maybe he gave different answers ..

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #1662 TitoTata, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Just found this .. you’re welcome

::::::::

Barcelona icon Johan Cruyff has stated that Romario is the best player he ever trained during his coaching career.

The Dutchman worked with stars such as Marco van Basten and Frank Rijkaard during his spell in charge of Ajax, while he also coached the likes of Hristo Stoichkov, Michael Laudrup and Gheorge Hagi at Barca. But it's the prolific Brazilian striker who impressed him most.

"The best player I have coached? It has to be Romario. You could expect anything from him. His technique was extraordinary," Cruyff was quoted as saying by El Mundo Deportivo

IMG_2095.jpg

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Why Zidane 8?

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I agree .. Zidane would be my number 1

No mention of Robert Prosinečki either ffs

15. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    haha

Modrić >> Prosinečki

16. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Apperantly 2010s is the worst era in history of football. LOL

carlito86 repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    At what sport ?

Tiddlywinks ?

18. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am from Croatia. I talk to people 50+.. it is almost universal. Modrić is probably no worse than Zidane, Iniesta, nor Xavi... Zidane in top 10 is ridiculous. Maradona above Pele Cristiano is ridiculous.. so many players are overrated because of narrative of few tournaments (world cups).

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The differences with the 'original' Voetbal International list (June 2017) are clearly larger and more profound:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/bigsoccer-top-250.1695463/page-3#post-39787416

Interestingly, that ultimately results in England/Britain losing a player in the top 25 (they had 10 in total at the VI list), Bobby Moore, with Matthaus inserted instead.

In the original VI list Matthaus was #98 with Netzer (placed ahead of Gullit) and Neuer close to the top 25.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to confuse matters further I'll add one perspective which says he thinks Van Basten was the best player he coached (maybe he was considering them when he coached them when he gave the Romario answer though, and maybe and I say this with Laudrup being a favourite of mine, it's not completely inconsistent to make the Laudrup comments as in some ways he refers to a theoretical level or better theoretical consistency, and one of them might have been made before he signed Romario, albeit the other one was I think when Laudrup had moved to Real Madrid so best in the world at that point could only refer to a present tense where Romario had dipped after the World Cup maybe, if not inconsistent, but it does seem like a general comment which says at least on his day Laudrup is the best, presumably including based on how he played for Barcelona)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/f...ho-voted-for-who.1597402/page-5#post-28873757
    (Cruyff's Player of the Century vote being Beckenbauer-Platini-Van Basten-Cruyff-Pele and seemingly not recorded back to front although there have been some suggestions it was which would put Pele first and then himself, but I think we established that wasn't right maybe or found no evidence it was right)
    [​IMG]

TitoTata repped this.
  21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Interesting thanks

PDG1978 repped this.
  22. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    There is little difference between the original VI Top 25 and Match of the Day's.

VI's Top 20 are all in Match of the Day's Top 25. Between positions 21 and 25 VI have included Meazza, Carlos Alberto (both also in FourFourTwo's Top 25), Valentino Mazzola and Moore. Match of the Day instead include Baresi, Maldini, Baggio and Matthaus between positions 15 and 25.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Should he be lower than Garrincha then? Who was very lucky to play the 1962 final after been sent off in the semi final.

Zidane doesn't depend so much on one summer or two tournaments imho. Yes he was inconsistent in between, in league seasons, but so was Garrincha.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Fair enough. I mean there aren't 18 of the 25 in the same position - like the Match/FFT overlap.

We have gone over this a few times before. In what context he said those Romario comments, how it has been 'distorted' and his idea on ranking and rating players in general.

There is also this from 1993:

With a bit of fantasy one might argue Ruud Geels was a direct competitor as a player, but here placed directly behind Pelé.

As trivia: when I was searching back for a specific video, I also found/remembered this episode again. Van Basten training on an amateur pitch again (unlike Gullit and Rijkaard never actually playing), for the first time since his retirement, in the autumn of 2000.

He and the club didn't ask for it but immediately camera teams from all over Europe came looking. Van Basten said a few words to the native camera, but ignored the international media.

One of the panelists say that if you're Van Basten, you know this can happen. He correctly predicts that he will never actually play. The others feel for him, that his wish for a reclusive life isn't granted. They correctly predict in the future he will maybe be a pundit on domestic television, but will not join the Gullit World Tour circuit.

Also interesting in a related video is the comment that although "bracketing the intrinsic quality is hard if not impossible" maybe only Ronaldo has been a better and more high profile player since his retirement, as a consensus.

Van Basten 'trying old moves'
    Marco van Basten is training again. Anonymous, he had hoped, but last Thursday a media army and a large support crowd of football followers were ready in Noordwijk to follow the actions of the former world star.

Aad van der Graaf 27 November 2000, 00:00
    The real scoop had taken place a week earlier, in the utmost secrecy. But when a regional radio station had hurled the message into the world, it was all over. Noordwijk was inundated with phone calls and e-mails from far and wide, even from Bulgaria. A professor from Groningen phoned with the announcement that he could supply suitable footwear and the presence of an Italian camera crew last Thursday further underlined the image that Van Basten still has.

[...]
    https://www.trouw.nl/nieuws/van-basten-probeert-oude-bewegingen~b1b84b92/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

I've said it before but modern scoring figures by Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Lewandowski etc. has taken some shine away.

With that, many (domestic) people also forget it wasn't principally about the goal numbers really (for ex. what I said about deciding four major finals for three different teams, with high quality moments; the demonstrable influence on the competitiveness of a team as well, even when the scoring was down in 1990-91).

PDG1978 repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Then there was also this of course