Best football players of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by stcv1974, Sep 19, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    and you should wonder why those two could NOT even make HALF of their goals for their NT?
    and you should wonder who are compete with them in same liga or UCL? Benzama? or Diego Costa ? or Van Persie?

certainly not the Cruyff, Platini nor Puskas Di Stefano there LOL

el-torero repped this.
  2. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And score man CR7 still has *one* La Liga title and *one* Champions League to show for it, after FIVE seasons of football... How can you not see that scoring goals obviously is not as important as you think it is?

Messi is a "set up man" because he is scoring two goals about every two games, really? LMAO. This is why your opinion about CR7 is basically worthless -- for whatever the reason, you think that scoring six goals (two of them penalty kick goals) in two games is better than scoring two open play goals and providing three open play assists in two games, I don't know why you are so adamant about something that doesn't make any sense whatsoever but... that's clearly what you think.

As for your question -- because Ronaldo and Messi are the best goal scorers of this era. Romario and R9 would both score 30+ goals a season, comfortably, if they played for either Real Madrid or Barcelona. Do you think CR7 scoring 15+ completely redundant goals per season (on top of the actually 20+ or so relevant goals) amounts to anything significant other than setting tacky goal scoring records?

Here's a question for you -- how many penalty kicks does CR7 gets to kick (note: actually scoring the penalty kick is not important to the question) per every five La Liga games?

NOTE

Messi is widely regarded as a significantly better player than CR7, I wonder why that is.

Pipiolo, JamesBH11 and el-torero repped this.
  3. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah your posts about CR7 aren't exactly "short" -- idiot.

Try to find a way to actually respond when your idiotic points are rightfully scrutinized.

NOTE

Good day, sir.

Pipiolo and el-torero repped this.
  4. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #54 stcv1974, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Ok, let's put an end to this fight about Penaldo. I want to discuss why do most of you here think that Maradona is better than Messi. I am honestly ready to listen and even to change my opinion if you give good reasons so no need for angry or disrespecting posts. I mean disrespecting for one or the other player.
    First I'm going to give my case:

European cup/Champions league:
    Maradona: 6 matches/2 goals, o.33 ratio, 0 titles
    Messi: 87/67, 0.77 ratio, 3 titles

Domestic league:
    Maradona: 491/259, 0.53 ratio, 3 titles(1 in argentina, 2 in Italy)
    Messi: 313/257, 0.82 ratio, 6 titles

Domestic cup:
    Maradona: 57/36, 0.63, 2 titles
    Messi: 44/29, 0.66, 2 titles

Other European competitions:
    Maradona: 26/11, 0.42, 1 title
    Messi: 3/1, 2 uefa super cups

Other(Fifa club world cup, league cup, national super cup etc.)
    Maradona: 8/4, 2 titles
    Messi: 15/14, 0.93, 8 titles

National team stats:
    Maradona: 91 matches/34 goals/ 28 assists, 0.37 goal ratio, 0.31 assist ratio, FIFA youth championship 1979, FIFA world cup 1986
    Messi: 93/42/27, 0.45 goal ratio, 0.29 assist ratio, FIFA U20 world cup, Olympic gold medal

Messi's assists in barcelona career: 178

Ability comparison:
    It's clear that Messi is a lot better scorer than Maradona, when it comes to dribbling as i said before Messi is also better it that segment(Messi 59.4% success rate in champions league and world cup in last 5 years, note that his dribbling was probably even better before, Maradona 55.9% success rate in world cups), and when it comes to vision/passing they are pretty close but let's give slightest advantage to Maradona in that.

There are also a lot of expert and players who said that Messi is the best player there ever was. Arsene Wenger, Adriano Galliani, Antonio Cassano, Roy Keane, Wayne Rooney, Joey Barton, Ivan Helguera, Ray Hudson, Hitzfeld said that Pele and Messi are the greatest, and Diego Simeone said that without doubt Messi is better than Maradona.

Articles you must read( please don't even reply without reading):
    http://proudbarcelonista.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/quotes-about-lionel-messi/
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-is-better-than-maradona-but-maybe-not-pele/
    http://www.averageopposition.com/2012/03/the-myth-of-maradona.html

And here are some of Messi's more impresing records:
    Most ballon d'ors
    Most goals in calendar year: 91
    Most goals in single season: 73
    Most goals in el classico: 21
    Most assists in el classico:12
    Most consecutive league matches scored in: 21
    Most golden shoe awards:3
    Most times champions league/europen cup top scorer:4
    Most hat-tricks in champions league/ec:4
    Most goals in la liga season: 50
    All time Barcelona top scorer: 384
    Most goals for Argentina in calendar year: 12 goals in 9 games

He was also a player with most assists in 2011 copa america.

It all comes down to Simeone's statement: "Maradona filled us with emotions but, without doubt, Messi is a better player."
    So i think that you need to forget the emotions and just think clear, what possible argument can you have except: Maradona won the World cup and that you like him more.
    Thanks for reading. And i hope that I won't get a lot of hate.;)

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #55 PuckVanHeel, Sep 24, 2014
    Don't those CR7 posts fit in the "is Cristiano Ronaldo overrated" thread? Please don't let every thread go to this direction.

Anyway, I want to tackle the idea that CR7 is a big game flop;

He has 22 goals (2PK) in the Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals. In club football, those games are arguably the highest level available (the quarter finals and beyond). 29 games.

His 'rival' Messi has 14 goals in the same stages, 2 of them penalties as well. 25 games.

A few months ago FourFourTwo had an overview of EPL players scoring against the top half of the table. C. Ronaldo scored 44% of his goals against the top half of the table, in the EPL. Thierry Henry 37% and Luis Suarez 26% (no typo).

EDIT: this is of the 2011-12 Primera Division record season (19 april 2012)
    [​IMG]
    http://infostradalive.com/2012/04/19/infographic-breakdown-of-messi-v-ronaldo-goals/

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Have you plans to put a different top 50 up on this thread stcv too? Maybe when hopefully some more votes come in?
    Or would you use the same method as you did on my thread?

I guess the scoring and defending categories are the ones you mentioned not discussed yet now. Is scoring basically finishing and movement, or would it include the ability to pick the ball up in midfield and score, and other things that aid scoring?

7. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Very interesting Puck, thanks for your contribution.

8. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well it's mostly finishing and movement, but also all the other things like versatility and as you said picking the ball in midfield and scoring. I think that my previous list has a nice balance of prime and longevity so i don't feel that i need to change it, but i have some kind of "project" i'm working on so i maybe change the list in a few weeks but i'm not sure if i will.

9. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maybe you find this interesting (that's for 2011-12).
    http://infostradalive.com/2012/04/19/infographic-life-without-messi-and-ronaldo/

JamesBH11 repped this.
  11. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    good luck with that

As for Simeone's statement, it doesn't really come down to it. It's totally subjective which one fills you with emotion more, and it's subjective which one you regard as the better player. Simeone's opinion is just Simeone's opinion.

giles varley repped this.
  12. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, as you can see Simeone's opinion is not the only thing i provided, i provided FACTS and that's not subjective.

13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @stcv1974 ... In my opinion maradona and messi were completely different types of players...
    I think statistics go out of the window when discussing maradona.. Stats do not show how great maradona really was..
    I obviously rate messi among the best, only a madman wouldnt, but i think messi has it easier than maradona ever did.. Maradona inspired a mid table lowly club napoli to be serie a champions when serie a was the toughest league in the world.. Yes napoli had other great players like careca but maradona was the catalyst..
    And maradona hardly played in the champions league so i think comparing his european stats with messis is a bit silly...
    Messi has been playing in one of the greatest club teams there will ever be and that has no doubt made it easier for him.. And im not a messi hater - and i dont mind if people rate him higher than diego but i prefer maradona.. I think he was a better player at his peak and when people try to compare messi world cup 2014 to maradona 1986 it is ridiculous and unfair on messi..

Pipiolo, United_xxx and JamesBH11 repped this.
  14. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    About comparing Maradona's 86 and Messi's 14 world cups is stupid i agree. Maradona in 1986 had the best world cup performance ever, and when you say that he inspired a mid table team but he barely played in european cup i find that strange, if he was all mighty and could make a crap team in championship team by himself why didn't he make something in europe? And i have to say that Maradona was one of the best players ever absolute genius but i always felt that 'stats can be thrown out of the window' is just another way of saying 'i don't want to accept the truth' , and please read this:
    http://www.averageopposition.com/2012/03/the-myth-of-maradona.html

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You provided facts, but you can't draw from them a fact that Messi was better than Maradona.

I mean I think he is, but I don't think it's a fact. They are different kinda players in different circumstances in different times. Facts might affect the opinions on which player one regards as the better one, but it still comes down to opinion. For one, it's subjective how one weighs the data. Messi is something Maradona is not, and Maradona was something Messi wasn't. Different people, different opinions.

16. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't think that it's a fact either but that it's the truth, i provided facts from which everyone who wants to be honest with themselves would draw the same conclusion as you and me. As for the era thing, in 80s there were more goals than in 2010s, average goals per game in champions league in 2010s is 2.8 and in 80s 3.1, so there was even more chance for getting goals and assists. In 2000s it was even lower than in 2010s.
    http://www.worldfootball.net/stats/champions-league/1/

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Your truth maybe, but not everyone's truth.

I mean, football is not a sport that enables absolute rankings of players a la running or swimming.

18. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh, man, does giving diplomatic answers come natural to you or did you have to learn it? :D

19. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The old european cup cannot be compared to the champions league.. There were far less matches..

20. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #70 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 24, 2014
    Ronaldo in six years will be a handful of goals behind Raul and Di Stefano for Madrid's all time scoring record which took them 18 years......Ponder that for a minute. He is not just scoring, he is scoring like NO ONE...EVER.

Messi has 3 goals in 5 games. That used to be 8 in 5. That has been the trend for over a year now.

So if you had a choice you would select Hazard over Eusebio....Iniesta over Meuller....Zidane over Puskas....Lmao.

Talk about over simplifying. Messi being considered better has alot more than performance factored in. Maybe a relentless onslaught by the media to praise all things Messi and redefine the criteria for greatness to cater to whatever play Messi had, game, week, month, tournament or year. The World Cup Golden Ball and four Ballon D' Ors being gleaming examples. He is lazy now and barely moves anymore. There are people on this forum and other places claiming its "wise energy conservation"...That used to just be called LAZY. If it were Ronaldo do you envision people saying it is a strength and genius tactic?? There is your question in a nutshell.

21. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How about his 6 assists? And how about Ronaldo's penalties. Just wake up. To be a member of this forum you have to be at least 13 years old I'm not sure that you are. So please go to some other thread to glorify him.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #72 JamesBH11, Sep 24, 2014
    thanks that's a very good example

I do not have to do much. Just take a simple analysis:
    like I said 40% goals of Messi and CR7 in their team are from +2 or more as "consolation goals" or much less meaningful but "pure entertainment" for fans - thanks to the DEPT of 500+ mils that both clubs are willing to pay for top notch players to exchange for such "goals difference"!

Clear example"
    1- Messi got 8 hat tricks and CR7 got 7 hat tricks in some 5-0 or 7-1 wins ... to accumulate their goals stats. In a normal game a 1-0 or 2-1 win would be "enough" for same results in points ! Do simple math : 21 to 24goals EXTRA LOL

2- Real team squad = 600+mils, and Barca squad = 600mils. the next most expensive team in liga is barely 150mils and the worst one costed less than one James or one Neymar (60+mils)

23. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    What about his 6 assists? And if his teammates didn't finish what then? It's a nice pass....That's it. They are not equal. He had a nice pass to Neymar, did you notice Neymars first touch to control it and dribble around the keeper? What if Neymar would have miss played it?

Anyways, 3 goals and 6 assists is nowhere close to actually scoring 12 goals. You want to devalue penalties too eh? Ask Messi about those oh so easy peasy goals. Lol. Without penalties Ronaldo still has 9. Messi has 3...Unfortunately for you however penalties count. Messi himself has had an abundance of them as well over the years no?

Now watch Ronaldo destroy your sh1t club and then come back and tell me how Kroos and Modric's "rhythm dictation" were more vital then Ronaldo's hat-trick.

24. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #74 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 24, 2014
    James your money argument is so lame. Its a different era and money is absurd. 80's Milan and 70's Ajax would cost $700 mil today. Damn, what are you not understanding? There are select super rich clubs that leverage prices against one another so someone like James sells for $108 mil..Price doesn't reflect quality.

Take Ozil for example, Madrid got him for $25 mil. He's better than James. You are looking at the price tag and making an assumption that the most expensive means the best.

So point is, Valencia or Athletico could afford $25 mil, not $108. That's why the other teams have such a gap in their rosters. James should be $25-30 mil. With the astronomical market they couldn't ever buy him, but again, that doesn't mean they don't have players at his level, or access to those level players, it means they didn't buy the guy that had a great World Cup and is extremely marketable so now his price quadruples when just last year he was a sub.

Neymar is another example, how many players could come in to Barca and score 15 goals? Dozens of players could do that, but they aren't paying for the dozens who could do it for $30 mil. They are buying the $125 mil most marketable Brazilian who's a megastar. Nowhere in that equation does that mean no other teams have players who can equal Neymar's
    production. It's a false equivalency.

leadleader repped this.
  25. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Something else I find deliciously hilarious. About these so called "Meaningless," "consolation"..."entertainment" goals.

Madrid were up 2-0 on Sociedad. They come back and score 4 winning 4-2. Now had Ronaldo played and scored that 'meaningless' hat-trick at 2-0 would it then have become an amazing performance winning 5-4?

How many times does that "consolation" hat-trick completely destroy the other team's morale eliminating even the hope or will to mount a comeback?

In Madrid's 8-2 win over Depor, Ronaldo scored the 1-0, and the 3-1...which ended up the game winner as Depor brought it to 3-2.

Its so easy to just blindly say "Ronaldo scored a hat-trick in an 8-2 blow-out".... "They would have easily won without him." But in reality two of his goals were vital.

Now, was there some agreement I am unaware of in the olden days where it was forbidden for players to score while being a goal or two up? My point remains, every fuking player in history was afforded the same circumstances as Ronaldo. They all played low table teams and they all definitely had leads and were presented opportunities to score. Nothing has changed here.

And by your definition @JamesBH11, how many of Pele's 82,000 goals were meaningful? LoL