Best football players of all time

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by stcv1974, Sep 19, 2014.

1. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    OK, thanks, it's a nice start hopefully a few more lists will come soon.

2. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #27 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    LMFAO!

This site is hilarious and some of its posters even moreso.

Do me a favor and name all the players above #36 on that list who have anywhere near an average of 51 goals and 13 assists over a 5 year span.

What do you people want from a player?
    He's equally two footed, he can pass/assist, shoot from very long range, great combination play, his off the ball movement is second to none ever, he can play on either wing, lethal with his head, 92% from penalties, one of the fastest players ever, good dribbler, hits free kicks from acute angles and vast distances ...strong....

In what world does George Best, Garrincha, Theirry Henry, Denis Bergkamp, Ruud Gullit, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldinho and many others produce any tangible results similar to or beyond Ronaldo? You'd be hard pressed to find a Portuguese who thinks Figo is superior to Ronaldo...Many discussions I've seen rank Ronaldo as better than Eusebio as well. However, that's not saying while playing for the Portuguese National Team but overall as a player.

At near 30 years old playing with the SIXTH edition of Madrid in SIX years he has 8 goals and 2 assists in 7 games to start this season. The guy literally can't help but to produce goals. 26 different midfield teammates in six seasons at Madrid. He has been top two in the world for 9 years. That is consistency and longevity personified.

Its astonishing that a man who over his last 250 games has scored at a rate greater than the greatest goal scorers throughout history and provides assists comparable to many of the most celebrated playmakers of all time yet is so consistently overlooked.

It seems even the romance of a player's untapped potential is rated higher than what Ronaldo actually has accomplished and continues doing so.

I truly believe history will look more fondly on Ronaldo when this era comes to a close and we've gone back to 25-30 goals being a phenomenal year. Many detractors will then realize just how special he truly was. It will be decades before another player scores 50+ goals for fun, maybe never again 4 years consecutively as Ronaldo has. Not even Messi could do it. Surely he will extend this to 5x consecutively this season. I don't think people can absorb what a feat that actually is.

He has (and is still) absolutely obliterating Di Stefano and Puskas' scoring achievements at Madrid. In almost every category one could imagine. Yet on this list they are miles apart...lol....

Let me guess, they just had so many more skills and qualities, better technique and performed so much greater in important matches plus were far superior mentally with exceptional leadership abilities and had much worse teammates and tougher opponents......What a fuking joke.

In a game where its entire premise is scoring goals, I prefer the guy who is going to produce 64 of them and be responsible for 40% of my teams goals to the guy who is greater at dictating rhythm, retaining possession or dribbling in tight spaces. Maybe I'm crazy.

3. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great, another thread destined to be turned into a mud slinging exercise by Ronaldo/Messi fanboys. LMFAO

4. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm not disagreeing with either you or the list. I'm just saying it is a list, nothing more nothing less, there is no need to get upset about it. Its not as if he's going around trying to make everyone think Ronaldo is the 36th best player ever.

5. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    After careful consideration and thoughtful deliberation eliminating bias here is my list:

1. Pele
    2. Socrates
    3.Gary Bailey
    4. Dixie Dean
    5. Iker Cassilas
    6. Bodo Ilgner
    7. Bebeto
    8. Cristiano Ronaldo
    9. Ibrahimovic
    10. Zola
    11. Landon Donovan
    12. Pep Guardiola
    13. Beckenbauer
    14. Cuatemec Blanco
    15. Gatuso
    16. Nesta
    17. George Weah
    18. Varane
    19. Romario
    20. Puyol
    21. Gerrard
    22. Ronaldo (Brazilian)
    23. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    24. Sir Alex Ferguson (tied)
    24. Valderama (tied)
    25. Tab Ramos
    26. Riquelme
    27. Denzel Washington
    28. Ronaldinho
    29. Ozil
    30. Totti
    31. Juan Pablo Angel
    32. Puskas
    33. Henrik Laarson
    34. Charlton
    35. Sir Bobby Moore
    36. Tevez
    37. Tom Finney
    38. Yashin
    39. Maradona
    40. Robbie Keane
    41. Claudio Reyna
    42. Samaras
    43. Figo
    44. Platini
    45. Essien
    46. Laudrup
    47. Cryuff
    48. David Villa
    49. Van Nistlerooy
    50. Klinsmann

51. Xavi

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not crazy and nor am I. But our preferences and indeed perceptions are a bit different there. You're welcome to add a properly thought out list though I'm sure. I don't agree with what you were trying to say on the other thread in terms of C.Ronaldo being as good in terms of passing and creativity as the best of the playmakers and creative forwards. Fair point to say he has shown the capability to pull off some excellent passes, but someone like Steven Gerrard has done similar in that respect. I also think in quite a few World Cup games and some Champions League knockout games he's not had a great effect (not to say he can't do anything in big games - he has got the habit of scoring against Barca off to a tee in recent times). And I do think this current era does allow for more goals than in the 80's and 90's with the offside laws, rules on sendings off etc. Cristiano has scored more goals per season than Marco van Basten but does it make him a more complete player? MVB also was the absolute star in a major tournament and won several top scorer titles whilst battling injuries.

My first instinct was to post an angry post back I have to be honest, but hopefully this is at least civil and gives some insight.

stcv1974 repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Ronaldinho Baggio Van Basten and arguably Gullit were certainly better than CR7! and YES that is very serious

Unless you are like Messi fan boy to think (him) or CR7 were actually "close" to Pele/Maradona?

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #33 leadleader, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    I disagree with your opinion about Baggio -- he could and did dribbled past two or three players in one run, arguably more times than R9 at his best used to, in my opinion.

In Serie A, Baggio scored more "goals of the century" type goals than Maradona did -- Baggio was nowhere near as explosive as Maradona/Messi, was not anywhere near as great a long distance runner as R9 was, and still managed to score the type of goals that could rival any goal by any player.

Can you offer any example of Ronaldo 1996-1998 dribbling past more than one defender *without* running faster than said defenders?

I think there must be at least one or two examples of R9 1996-1998 doing that, surely? But I just don't remember actually seeing anything of the sort in any of the many games that I have watched of Ronaldo 1996-1998.

I've seen Baggio, Ronadinho, Messi, Riquelme, dribbling past more than one defender without running at high speed. That's one hard to ignore quality that I rarely saw (if ever) on prime Ronaldo -- surely, if R9 was a better dribbler than Baggio, and considering that R9 was not only more athletic than Baggio, but also much faster than Baggio, surely R9 should have scored much more impressive goals at world cup level as well as at club level? At club level, besides about four great goals between 1996 and 1998, the rest of his goals are pretty easy to replicate. His dribbling runs are, basically, the same as his goals -- about four or six great dribbling runs at club level in the space of two full seasons, which is not impressive at all when compared to other famous dribblers.

I think that high speed players often are given extra credits as dribblers. When you have Baggio's physical characteristics, it is much more difficult to dribble past three defenders on a consistent basis, than it would be if you were Ronaldo/Maradona/Messi, etc.

9. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #34 leadleader, Sep 23, 2014
    So according to you, dictating rhythm, retaining possession in difficult situations, or dribbling in difficult situations, should invariably be rated as "inferior" than CR7 scoring 5 goals (with two out of the five goals being penalty kick goals) against midtable teams?

I don't think Zinedine Zidane should be "top 10", just like I don't think Andrea Pirlo and Xavi Hernandez and Michael Laudrup should be "top 10" players. Similar to you, I think some of these lists are pretty preposterous. But I still disagree with your bottom line -- I think you are simplifying the game too much.

For all the seasons that CR7 has scored all those goals, CR7 really was not a factor when Real Madrid won the most important game of the 2013/2014 season -- does such a thing mean nothing to you?

I mean, you take CR7 out of the Champions League Final, and Real Madrid still wins. You take Xavi Hernandez out of the 2010/2011 Champions League Final, and Barcelona most probably does not win the game. And yet, you clearly value CR7 as superior to Xavi and Iniesta put together. Again, I don't mean to say that Xavi is better than CR7, I am just trying to say that you are simplifying too much -- scoring a lot of insignificant goals isn't anywhere near as great as you are implying it is.

Pipiolo and stcv1974 repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, maybe I didn't take time to explain my thoughts enough and I will say again I thought the top 10 dribblers of stvc was excellent - just like he gave a few thoughts on my creators lists and where he might differ, I thought I'd do the same for him with dribblers though (but like I say we have 8 out of 10 of the same names genuinely).

Baggio, indeed did produce some great moments involving dribbling. When he got in his stride he could swerve away from defenders, round them with ease and dribble past players on either side and in tight spaces. I think he needed to display those characteristics at certain moments when he was fuly in rhythm though. Often in general gameplay he was quite conservative with attempted dribbles and I think that (partly due to pace yeah, but I am thinking of most effective dribblers I suppose rather than most technical ones) was because he didn't have faith so much that he could just pick up the ball and consistently work his way past players. I think he used his dribbling more as a rare tactic, like I say when the conditions favoured it. I think he was a medium speed dribbler rather than being great as a high speed (due to lack of pace as you say) dribbler or particularly as a mazy dribbler although he could certainly work himself space by manipulating the ball.

So yeah that's the extended version of my impression about where his dribbling wasn't as good as some of the others. Cruyff, or Michael Laudrup for example more often drifted past players in the middle of the park and also dribbled more on the wings before getting crosses in. Maradona could dribble from anywhere and open up the game. Best routinely moved past challenge after challenge. But yeah all those players were quicker - it's just that I don't discount that advantage or separate out dribbling accuracy and being able to subtly move past challenges from the physical advantages. The best dribblers tend to be pretty quick because it gives them an advantage. But I would say Baggio was a better dribbler than Kaka and maybe even Henry so pace is far from the be all and end all. And I would say that not only Ronaldo, but as Puck and others have discussed, perhaps Maradona too, that would not have many or any more great goals after dribbling thn Roberto Baggio.

Hope this explains my ideas on this. Thanks.

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    can you back and watch Ronaldo?
    and no very very rare he had one DF on him but 2 to 3 OK?
    Of course if you have 2 or 3 surrounding, you need speed, passed 1 and 2nd without delay so that the 1st DF will come back in time again OK? Do you relaly ever play football? NO I do not think so

Ronaldo was so famous on one on one ... especially 1 DF and GK ... = can NOT stop him

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just for info - after stcv1974 clarified the criteria for me I did make an adjusted version after the one quoted by Edgar. It's meant to be 50% longevity and I made an attempt at that but if it's still seeming a bit awy from tht it's possible I just find it too difficult to move too much in that direction. Others might find it difficult to omit trophies from consideration I guess - we all have different instincts and approaches.

Of course my list is approximate and especially for older players. But I'd say that rightly or wrongly I do tend to favour the 'complete' players - especially those that combine about equally creativity with decisiveness and can dribble, are quick etc too. Whether that means according to Edgar I under-value a CR7(or a Batistuta, a Shearer - not that I think Shearer would tend to get inclusions in top 50's and not that I think he or Batistuta were as good as CR7 creatively or as soloists - his assists numbers are not that great per season compared to peak Henry though IIRC for example). And whether that means according to leadleader (perhaps - I haven't seen his own list) that I under-value a Riquelme or Xavi.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh sorry, I see leadleader already mentioned Maradona/Baggio in terms of solo goals. I'd somehow not realised that but I did read through the post in full. Maybe my eye just skipped to the next bit or my brain was still in Ronaldo/Baggio mode without reading the word properly lol!

So, I would say I agree with that rather than that I brought it uo myself!

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There is a goal after dribbling (only really past one player though) by Ronaldo at slow speed though here:

He at times rounded the goalkeeper well too without being in full stride. And he could use quick feet and good ball manipulation to come out of spaces from standstill. To be fair to him, he probably thought that if he's on a long dribble he might as well do it at high speed to be most effective. I don't think he'd have been so effective without pace of course, but he was still a skilful dribbler I think - better than Baggio if they were the same pace? I'm not sure about that but I can't ignore Ronaldo's pace helped him a lot with his dribbling (not only with knocking the ball 20 yards and chasing it, but with dribbling and to be fair the faster the dribble the harder to keep good control usually).

15. stcv1974

stcv1974 Member

Liverpool FC
    Serbia
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I will not include this list. If you want to make a serious list than make it and it will be included.

delandis repped this.
  16. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The problem that I see with "all time lists" is that a darling such as Zinedine Zidane will get a preference vote and so you will tend to find him somewhere amongst the top 15 players of all time -- meanwhile, Riquelme will be somewhere around the 60th place mark, which makes absolutely no sense; Xavi Hernandez, Andrea Pirlo, will be found who knows where, but certainly very far away from the top 20, which again, doesn't add up when you consider that Zidane will be found somewhere amongst the top 15 players of all time.

That is why I prefer to make all time lists per position, rather than one vague all you can eat buffet.

Rather than give you a full list, I will make a few comparisons, and maybe later I can offer/share a proper list; but, for example, I rate Zinedine Zidane, Roman Riquelme, Andrea Pirlo, and Xavi Hernandez, and Michael Laudrup, as of the same caliber, even if all five of the mentioned players are significantly different playmakers. Carlos Valderrama (whom is rated by the majority of Europeans as a significantly inferior player) as a technician is more impressive and also more unusual than all of the players mentioned besides Riquelme, in my opinion -- his value as an overall player however, is difficult to compare due to the lack of footage of him at his peak.

So my opinion as you might appreciate is definitely more "controversial" or "unconventional" than yours. But sincerely, having extensively watched the six players mentioned, that's the most honest conclusion I can make, anything else, would amount to me giving extra preference credits to one player who in reality isn't actually better even if his style of play is more appealing to a majority of people -- that would be Riquelme by the way, if it was down to my own preference rather than my attempt at objectivity.

I will post two videos below which I think might help explain my point in a different way,

Zidane's video includes video of six matches, Valderrama's video includes video of four matches; I only include competitive league matches, world cup matches, no friendlies of any sort -- if you watch both videos, could you point out why Zidane is commonly found amongst the "top 10" best players of all times, whereas Valderrama will be found perhaps somewhere along the 80th mark?

Yes, some people will always claim "everyone looks great on a video compilation" but, again, making a midfield player look great on the basis of four or six matches is not exactly an easy task. Certainly, you could "cherry pick" any six matches of Frank Lampard or Michael Ballack at any stage of their careers, and technically they won't come close to players like Zidane or Valderrama -- my point of course, being that video compilations that only focus on just four or six matches will tend to show a realistic portrait of the player, as opposed to the usual video compilation which includes passing and dribbling actions from 20+ games into a video that is less than 10 minutes long.

For example, the Zidane video that I posted is in fact "cherry picked" in the sense that it includes the six matches in which Zidane produced the best bits of skill, from a total of 17+ matches of Zidane that I could have used -- and yet, it still is a reasonably realistic portray of Zidane's form in that season/seasons.

Another example would be if I made a video of Hernan Crespo using 8 of his games vs a video of Zlatan Ibrahimovic using 8 of his games (videos about strikers usually require more video because they touch the ball less) -- Hernan Crespo as a technician will look significantly inferior when compared to Ibra. On the other hand, if I do the same thing with Zidane vs Valderrama, or Zidane vs Riquelme, Valderrama and Riquelme comfortably compare with Zidane as technicians, as passers, and arguably as overall playmakers, and yet, both Valderrama and Riquelme are found miles away from Zidane when it comes to "all time" rankings. This is the problem that I have with "all time lists", that certain players get overrated whereas others get criminally underrated. And by the way, I can definitely understand why some people will rate Zidane as a better player than Riquelme, but when Zidane sits in 10th place and Riquelme sits in 70th place, it's really hard to take such lists seriously.

giles varley repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok, mate - I will, and I mean that I will, look at the videos - are those your own (I know you produced some on a similar basis before)? So, like I said I should have before I will refrain from commenting until I'm fully ready and prepared - I understand that you are saying that Zidane did have a number of more mundane performances within his peak and I don't discount the view of course - you probably have a better perspective than me even if I might end up seeing a little more than yourself in such displays (that's an IF, not a fact - and I will try to be open to adjusting my views or at least acknowledging your observations).

One thing I will say is that I think with these things a relatively small difference between similar players can look larger when players of all positions are being included. The same for a Paolo Maldini as compared to a Bixente Lizarazu perhaps? Or a Francesco Totti compared to a prime Jari Litmanen? (Litmanen might be put ahead even, but I mean that someone can put Totti quite a lot higher in a list, but not think the literal gap is really very big).

Anyway, I'll do a full reply and will stick to that but wanting to view the videos I might take a while (even if it was a week or so I would remember to reply - no criticism but often your posts have quite a lot of depth and many discussion points so while I reply to others instantly I might need to consider some of yours more carefully, especially when being asked to consider and look at new things to me). I have caught up pretty much with what Puck wanted me to view, but I was thinking of doing that Florian Albert vs Brazil 1966 video at some stage and having a look at Eusebio vs USSR from 1966 in full (even if for my own interest and not to add comments on here - unless he played a really great game more than is portayed by highlights).

leadleader repped this.
  18. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    OMFG....Its never ending with you people. This is the same nonsense spewed over and over again by you haters.

In the 58-59 Euro Cup Final, Puskas scored goals making it 3-1...4-1...5-1 AND 6-1. ..One a penalty and Di-Stefano scored once again to make it 7-1. I'm sure you don't regard any of those as 'insignificant.' Hypocrite.

Every player in history has games where "their team would have won without them." You also ignore Ronaldo played that final with a career threatening injury. He has destroyed Athletico many times. I know you're not proposing he was incapable of winning Madrid the game. You are also only assuming Barca wouldn't have won without Xavi, its not scientific. Lmao

Ronaldo has scored against EVERY team Madrid has faced in the Champions League. He has scored the most knockout stage goals ever and has the all time single season record and has been top scorer three times in the Champions League. For good measure he is three from passing Raul for most all time. You sound ignorant pretending he has been some non factor scoring insignificant goals.

You can undervalue scoring against lower level teams but again, every prolific goal scorer scores against those teams. He scored a hat trick against Deportivo last weekend. You can say it was 'insignificant' but Madrid has lost two without Ronado and are six points behind. He is still battling injury and a performance like that could have a major impact on his and Madrid's confidence going forward. In a league where two or three losses can decide the title those games matter and those goals are indeed 'significant.'

He can only play the teams in front of him. He has scored vs every team in the Champions League and every team in La Liga. He has scored in every stadium except one in Spain. That is consistency, a criteria the OP set forth. Along with ability and no matter how you desperately attempt to spin it Ronaldo is at the top on both accounts.

19. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #44 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 23, 2014
    Here are some videos that further illustrate Ronaldo's completeness
    And versatility.

A collection of long range goals all from open play. Not all of them but enough to show its an ability rather than a fluke. IIRC he has near 30 not counting free kicks which takes the number closer to 65-70. Lol...I missed the compilations of Zidane, Maradona, Laudrup, Ronaldinho and Garrincha scoring regularly from 30m I guess.

52 header goals...A winger with 52 headers...Lmao..How many headers did Ronaldinho, Figo, Henry, Zidane, Platini and Garrincha have again?

51 free kicks. Again..lol... How many does Tom Finney have?

Left footed goals, watching his accuracy, power and composure finishing with his left foot it gives the impression he is a natural. Again, just a small collection. He scores around 10 a year so assume 70 in his career. How great was Maradona with his right? Messi? Henry's left?

And here is Ronaldo playing playmaker/provider/creator. 50 of his assists with Madrid. Not including last season or this year. But according to all of you the important part of playmaking is 'dictating rhythm' and 'possession retention'...LOL...Forget creating goals..Anyone can do that...

He is only 29 so all these numbers will only continue to escalate exponentially.

This should drive home the point but once again it will all be lost on haters who find ways to devalue his skills. He is exceptional in so many disciplines producing goals of a wide variety. Where players like Messi score the same goal forty times a year with slight variations on a theme. How many legends truly compare to Ronaldo's scoring ability?

As for longevity and consistency its already known that Cristiano blows most of the past players out of the water. Golden Boot and Champions League winner in two countries, top two player 9 years running, 50 goals 4 years running....26 different midfield teammates in six years....Still scoring over a goal a game this year...Scored against every team in Champion's League and La Liga, most away goals in a season.....Its undeniable. I don't care how good someones Euro or World Cup was. Ronaldo is consistently reaching milestones unparalleled in history.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #45 JamesBH11, Sep 23, 2014
    I can agree with:
    1- CR7 is a versatile FW no doubt (can play as striker, LFW or RFW) but he is not complete (no MF control, no defense, and his passing skills is just good)

2- CR7 can play and prove great in different leagues, teams ... (but if the team is so-so, like Portugal 2014, he is back on ground)

CR7 blew most of the previous greats in goals THANKS to Real 3rd galacticos team that OFTEN thrash other teams (weak liga and weak group UCL) with 4 to 5goals difference.

Many of his fans are so blind in STATS but the truth is that 40% of his goals were in 2+ to 5+goals scored extra win (or say consolation goals)

Take them off (50goals season = 30+goals) ... he is back to same as those great striekrs before ... like Basten, Ronaldo ,Henry or Batistuta Sheva ...
    Same thing applied to Messi with his great Barca!

Pipiolo and leadleader repped this.
  21. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #46 leadleader, Sep 23, 2014
    LMAO your argument is embarrassing, sorry.

This is what is irreparably wrong with your non-argument, when you say "in a game where its entire premise is scoring goals" -- that claim is completely nonsensical... due to reasons that would be obvious to any person who actually understand how the game works. Football's "entire premise" is not about scoring goals LMAO, Football's entire premise is winning when the game reaches the 90th minute mark -- this is why Chelsea won the 2011/2012 Champions League even though it was one of the lowest scoring teams; going by your logic, Chelsea 2011/2012 was a complete failure when it came to the "entire premise" of football, so why did a team like Chelsea 2011/2012 win a Champions League? How does Spain 2010 win a World Cup scoring very few goals? In other words, you don't seem to understand simple logic.

The fact still is that the only Champions League that CR7 has won after he left Man Utd, he won with a Real Madrid team that won the Champions League Final no thanks to CR7's contributions in that game. You remember the game in which Lewandowski scored four goals and CR7 did nothing? That was a game in which CR7's amazing goal scoring would have proven very significant/important, and yet CR7 scored no goals, and Lewandowski scored four goals, and Real Madrid was eliminated by a much more low budget team such as Borussia Dortmund. And let me guess, "CR7 can't do miracles when his teammates are playing badly", right? And of course, when Real Madrid wins a Champions League Final in which CR7 is by far one the worst performers out of the 22 players on the pitch, I guess that's completely irrelevant to a CR7 fanboy such as yourself, right?

Consistently scoring 2 or 3 goals in games that Real Madrid ends up winning by 5-1 margins, is not as great as you think it is. If Xavi Hernandez was as inferior as you think he is, why has Real Madrid not managed to win more than just one La Liga title in the last five years? After all, Real Madrid has the mighty CR7 in their ranks, so obviously, a team like Barcelona with Pique and Mascherano as defenders, with Xavi as playmaker, with Iniesta as secondary playmaker, and with Messi (who in your opinion is not better than CR7), by all means should not have won three out of a possible five La Liga titles, right?

I know a fanboy like you will go on to claim that "that Barcelona team is arguably the greatest Barcelona of all times" even though on the other hand you don't think that Xavi or Iniesta are exceptional at all. As much as you don't want to agree with it, CR7 for all the goals he has scored in the last five seasons, only has one La Liga title and one Champions League title to show for it -- that's hardly amazing stuff, particularly when the Real Madrid team which won the actual champions league final did so no thanks to CR7.

Alessandro Del Piero did better than CR7, in the space of just three seasons, he played three Champions League Finals, one of which he managed to win with a team that would not have won the title without his essential contribution. In the space of three seasons, Del Piero won two Serie A titles when Serie A was the best league in the world, and he got to play three Champions League Finals -- this is comfortably more impressive than CR7's one Champions league Final in which he was a non-factor, and CR7's one La Liga title, in the space of five seasons.

Raul Gonzalez also did better than CR7, winning three Champions Leagues in the space of just six years, being the Champions League top scorer twice in the space of the same six years, and winning two La Liga titles between season 2000/2001 and season 2002/2003 (which makes it two titles out of a possible three, which is far better than CR7's one title out of a possible five). Could you explain to me why CR7's one La Liga and one Champions League in the space of five years, is somehow better than what Del Piero or Raul achieved?

Is CR7 a top 20 all time player? Most probably. Is CR7 as good as any player in the history of the game when it comes to passing, dribbling, and scoring goals? No. His passing and dribbling is obviously not as good as quite a few players from his own era -- but of course, seeing how Football's entire premise is simply scoring goals, I guess only great goal scorers should make up the Top 50 players of all time, which in reality would be stupid of course.

Pipiolo and giles varley repped this.
  22. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Not going to read your 10th posting of the Illiad.

Try to find a way to argue in less than 50,000 words or f@+k off and quit responding to me.

23. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #48 EdgarAllanPoet, Sep 23, 2014
    (La Liga)
    186 goals in 169 appearances. Lmao

What's absolutely hilarious here is every player on every team in every league in every country ever played against teams that were low in the table.

Why then is it only Ronaldo and Messi who is accomplishing these feats? Messi can't even score with Ronaldo anymore, he gave up to be a set up man. Lol

Why couldn't all these players who are allegedly so much better produce goals anywhere near Ronaldo?..Ronaldo (Brazil), Ronaldinho, Di Stefano, Puskas, Zidane etc. All played the Celta's, Depor's, Elche's and Betis' of the world. How do they compare to Cristiano?? One could even say they had some pretty good teammates. Lmao....excuses, excuses, excuses. Seems to me with all their vastly superior skills and understanding of the game along with their dictation ability they could have dictated more goals......lol
    Ronaldo definitely assists on their level if not even greater so seems some people are grasping here. If you have to resort to 'possession' and "dribble in tight spaces" to try to make up the difference that should be evidence enough.

And he has double digit goals against all the modern big teams in Spain...Barcelona, Athletico, Sevilla, Valencia etc....So there goes that argument out the window. They have been competitive in Spain and also in Europe in Ronaldo's era. Quite naturally he will score more vs weaker defenses. Also quite naturally when he scores in so many games some of them are going to be in 'blow-outs'......What does that prove? He has scored against EVERYBODY in both the Champion's League ans La Liga.

Ronaldo should refuse to score if his team is already winning or if the team is below 3rd in the table. Then he will be a true legend.

Cryuff only scored game winners! Platini only played in European Cup Finals! Puskas scored all his goals at 0-0!! Di Stefano never faced a team below 2nd place!!!

24. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    put ronaldo in villarreal, that team will go nowhere

put him in argentinos juniors, that team will go nowhere also

put riquelme in the same teams, they can challenge the best team on earth, had proved many times, that is the fact

conclusion, ronaldo need better teammate to win something, better team does not necessary need ronaldo to win it

JamesBH11 repped this.
  25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    exactly so
    No one said CR7 is a just good player but a great player (TOP50 all time)
    But to claim his number of goals for REAL team is not so valid .. yes he did with such a great team and he became so-so (or just good) with Portugal team *not same quality team mates

el-torero repped this.