Best ever USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Paul. A, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    1 Friedel (picked over Keller because of 2002 World Cup play) and of course great career in Premier league
    2 Keller
    3 Howard
    4 Meola

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top ten of those I have seen play:

Brad Friedel
    Kasey Keller
    Tim Howard
    Brad Guzan
    Marcus Hahnemann
    Tony Meola
    Nick Rimando
    Joe Cannon
    Kevin Hartman
    Jon Busch

Reis, Kennedy, and Perkins were all good too. Would like to see more on Winston DuBose but that's hard to find.

4. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Good list..I never saw Guzan or Busch..I saw all the others play.

5. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old man Friedel retired from the NT too early and his popularity level on this board suffers from it (including myself).

Not many people on here gave a sh*t when he retired last season, only the ones who were really invested in 02.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Friedel was voted one of top foreign players in history of EPL. He was a great player.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if you completely ignore anything he ever did in the USMNT, that wouldn't change the fact that he had the greatest career in European soccer that any American ever has.

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, he was a great GK. But it still doesn't change the fact that when he retired early NT fans looked at other YA's to watch.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether Americans were watching him or not, I still think he was the best ever (and I'm a Keller fan).

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Why was his euro career better than TH or KK? My USMNT order it Howard, Keller, Friedel, Meola

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a subjective call, but I'd say that for an American to hold the all-time EPL record for consecutive appearances sort of sets him apart.

Pl@ymaker and Marko72 repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed. I think putting forth an argument putting Keller's career ahead of Friedel's is the much more difficult argument to make.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks. I think Howard's ultimate numbers will be more impressive. Friedel's run mostly occurred after he retired from international soccer.

BF has 11 seasons of 30+ epl games where 10 of them occurred after his international retirement.

TH has 10 seasons of 30+ epl games where he wasn't the US #1 for only a couple and still hasn't retired.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Career length is a big thing for me. Friedel was finally unseated at age 42. He didn't become a starter until he was almost 30, despite doing well for Galatasaray at 24 years old. Howard has noticeably started playing worse since the WC. Before the WC, Everton finished 5th, ended up 11th last year, and are currently sitting 9th. I just can't see Everton sticking with Howard for that long. Maybe he gets dumped to a lower EPL team but the press has been on him for almost a year and a half now.

The short of it all, I know the stats may look similar, but Friedel was a better goalkeeper at 42 years old than Howard is at 36.

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id take friedel over howard, with the 02 cup giving him the edge.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd take Howard's 2014 over Friedel's 2002. I think Friedel's 2002 performance is over rated.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I can definitely see Howard declining at a younger age as his game relies on athleticism much more. I haven't been watching much epl or paying attention these days. What has been the issue with his game?

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Jon Busch is one of the most intense people I have ever met. May not be another player that works harder than him training. Have heard about his training as a pro and know people that use to work with him during HS & college.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think too many people were aware that he was still playing at his age.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    His work at Blackburn Rovers was outrageously underrated while he was there. Back in the day, Rovers made Graham Souness look like a brilliant manager. Some very average EPL teams with Friedel, often-injured Damien Duff and a few others really put together several nice seasons in a row. Carling Cup, Europa League appearances, regularly gave the big teams at the time (Manyoo, Arsenal, Liverpool) difficult times.

raza_rebel, Adiaga Two and bsky22 repped this.
  21. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this matter? I thought the discussion was about the best ever USA goalkeeper, not the best ever USMNT goalkeeper. Friedel may have been retired from international soccer, but he wasn't retired from being an American citizen.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Of course Freidel had to work his ass off to even get to the EPL. Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland and Nottingham Forest wanted him the '90's but he couldn't get a work permit (turned down 5 times) . Had to spend time with Columbus and Galatasary and several loans before ever getting to Liverpool.

Meanwhile with very limited USMNT time, Howard was signed into Manyoo on the first try (SAF and Manyoo pulling strings?), but this was after folks in England noticed the success that US GK's Freidel and Keller were having at Blackburn and Spurs.

Your numbers don't really look too deep into what Freidel had to do in the first place.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Adiaga Two repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It's not significant, but I think it does. By retiring from international soccer, it made it easier to focus on club play and extend his career (I thought he said as much). Both club and international performances should be included in the discussion.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Playing for Wales didn't make Ryan Giggs any less of a player.

Even if we call 2002 and 2014 WC's a draw, IMO, Keller had the most impressive display in qualifying during (mainly) 2005. Its just a simple fact that club play weighs far more heavier.