Best ever goal?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mackem_ftm, Aug 17, 2002.

1. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    No, it's the power of the header (like a bullet).
    Also, does anyone know any good clips websites where I can see some of these goals? The Roberto Carlos one was amazing. A bit like one Martin Smith scored for Sunderland at Roker a while ago.

2. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    This gets my vote. If I remember correctly, the play started with a long ball into the area from Bogicevic (?), was headed back across the goal by DiBernardo (?). The header was behind Cabanas, who somehow put on the brakes, jumped, and was virtually parallel to the ground (and a few feet in the air) when he struck the ball. Never have been able to figure out how he was able to get his foot on the ball with such force. ( Pardon my spellings and/or my inability to get the players correct--I'm getting old and am taking cold medication.)

Not only was it a beautiful goal, it made some of my European friends in college eat crow. They constantly razzed on the level of soccer in the US, which included ripping on the NASL as having only "no-talent Americans" and "has-beens". Before the 1986 WC, some channel ran a highlight show that included that goal from several angles, but did not mention the teams/league involved until the third replay. After the first replay, my friends immediately started taunting about how that was the quality of goal you never see in the US, etc., etc.--and then they went beet red when they heard it was from the NASL (and that an American had been involved in the play).

3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    No.
    How can this famous header been both looping, and like a bullet?
    Mutually exclusive if you're asking me - and you weren't.

4. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    That's why it was so great, it somehow managed to be looping and like a bullet! Amazing!!

Sean

5. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yep and it was made by the ex Paraguayan national Roberto Cabanhas(sorry i can't do the n' letter)

6. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Archie Gemill against Holland is my favourite international goal.

In club football DiCanio's for napoli against AC milan was amazing.
    Equally as stunning was Lubo Moravcik's 2nd in the 3-0 rout of rangers at Ibrox 2 seasons ago, booted clear from the back young Shaun Maloney Flicked it on and moravcik burst onto it, ran it to the by line shadowed by Fernando Ricksen, dragged it back, turned Ricksen inside out and planted it into the bottom corner.
    Larssons chip from outside the box in the 6-2 game was also stunning.
    and Finally a Johan Cruyff goal for ajax against Van Haag donkeys ago was pure class.

7. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    looping bullet header

This is the source of the original question. "Gray strikes a superb first-time cross onto the head of Niall Quinn (12 yards out), who loops a bullet header into the top corner. "

I still don't get it where does the looping part fit in with the bullet part?

Screaming floater?

8. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I found one of those in my crapper this morning.

Sean

9. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    You don't just "find" one of those, their arrival is always trumpeted.

10. In high school my junior year I hit a fifty-yard looping-bullet (with topspin) left-footed volley into the upper corner off of a clear from our box in the last seconds of the first half. It was about 99.9% luck, but it was exactly what I was trying to do. This was certainly the best strike I have ever seen, but the importance of the game and skill of the opponent are questionable. Seriously, Pele himself would have marveled at it.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it was a fiorentina player about 3 years ago, who biked it from about 40 yards out. it even kissed the underside of the crossbar as it went in. probably not the 'best' but still great to watch.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Great Goal

download it here

http://georgebest.fineststars.com/GeorgeBest_11.mpg

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    That was Adani on my birthday against Barcelona in the Champions league...fluke goal but fun to watch. That was the most exciting match I ever saw, 3-3 draw in a meaningless last match to the first group stage as both teams had already qualified

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, that's it. thanks.

15. kycelt

kycelt New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Shepherdsville,KY.
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wim Jonk,USA 94 at The World Cup against Saudi Arabia he blasted a shot from 35 yards out with the right foot that beat the diving keeper in the upper right side of the netting UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    George Best did have the advantage that the opponents defence was made up of overaged women.

17. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    This thread makes me regret the demise of footofgod.com.

And, unfortunately, I had downloaded a lot of the best of them before they went down, but then my PC crashed...

18. dcsiouxfan

dcsiouxfan New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    My brother and I were just talking about that one. He was at that game and even talking about it now brings a tear to his eye ;^)

19. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    Re: looping bullet header

OK, i'll spell it out for you. The header was mega powerful (as with a bullet shot or header. The term doesn't mean flying dead straight like a real bullet), but also had an arcing trajectory on it (hence 'loop'). Let's face it, a header from the penalty spot is gonna need plenty of power and height to beat the keeper to the top corner, innit? If you're having that much trouble visualising it, why not just download the video?

20. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Any of many by Matt Le Tissier.

2 that stand out - vs Blackburn (when they won the title) from 35 yards out smashed over the head of Tim Flowers (his own personal favourite) & the one against Newcastle when he played keepie-up through the defence.

21. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Johan Cryuff Barca-Atletico de Madrid 1973-74 season. I belive it was either Asensi or Rexach who centered the ball from outside the box on the right. The ball looks like it is going out of bounds since it is too far ahead of Cryuff. Out of no where he leaps into the air about 5 feet off the ground, sticks out his left foot and hammers it home. The goalkeeper Miguel Reina had that look of disbelief that someone was able to touch the ball that wasn't going to be playable.

Great shot by a great player!

Pichi

22. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Don't ask me the season or oppents or the correct spelling. But tony yoboah for leeds 2 seperate occasions one more impresive then the other 30 yard screamer bar and in. Magic.

23. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York

24. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    Wasn't the blackburn one the dipping volley that went in the top corner? I would have added that one to my initial list if I'd thought of it. Tremendous goal. Plus any goal against Newcastle is good in my book.

25. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    oh, and sorry I posted that quote twice. It wasn't done on purpose.