Best Dribblers of the ball today?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Hazardinho, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't forget Ronaldo, Denilson, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    By dribbling I'm referring to players who are fast and can control the ball at speed (Christiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs etc). Okocha is remarkable with the ball at his feet, he can turn defenders inside out but he rarely goes past them, it's about making space and lots of it. He ain't shite but he's not as good as some people think.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    denilson is the best dribbler of the ball

to bad he cant do much else

but he is fun to watch

4. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    This is my humble list (I don't have cable/satellite anymore):

- Ronaldinho Gaucho
    - Denilson
    - Robinho
    - Edgar Davids
    - Quaresma (He does some cool s..t)
    - Andres D'Alessandro

Does anyone in the english league dribble or do they just kick the ball foward and run.

In Argentina they don't dribble because they cut their legs off.

5. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    My concept of best dribbler is someone that can make 2 or 3 guys look bad in a very small space.

Robinho is amazing at this, I've seen him standing in the corner of the big box with two defenders in front on him that were waiting for him to make the first move (at that point defenders are suppose to attack the ball, no matter what). I've also seen him dribble 3 guys in a very small space.

6. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    i got a couple in mind

RONALDO great dribbling skills for a foward
    Ronaldihno
    Ortega
    Zidane

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    people with terrible memories and not much concept of what a dribbler is ..hmmph. :(

Ronaldo is by far the best dribbler in the world..even now as a cripple he still can go past 4opposing players and the goalie with ease..his runs aren't as thrilling or common as they were..but when he takes it upon himself or when he's called upon the boy still makes the opposition look stupid.

Ronaldinho, Robinho, D'Allesandro, Diego, Aimar, Christiano Ronaldo, Nihat, Ibrahimovic are nice with theirs but productive dribbling still comes from the vets Zidane especially.

Party tricks are nice but the best dribblers of the ball are the ones that hurt the opposition the most and don't just fall over by the touchline (Denilson ¬_¬) he may as well be playing beach soccer for all the productivity his runs produce.

Ronaldinho
    Robinho
    Diego
    D'Allesandro
    Queresma
    C Ronaldo
    Rooney

Are going to be the next crop of good (maybe great) dribblers. Productivity included! Gaucho has some outrageous tricks but he's not as consistent as the likes of Zidane yet so i can't put him on par.

Notice to be a dribbler you must have a vowel at the end of your name? lol mebbe that's why the call Rooney Roonaldo? it gives him the power of the dribble lol

8. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

correct me if i am wrong, doesnt "Y" at times can be considered as a vowel??

9. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Aimar not a productive dribbler???

C'mon. You don't know what you're on about.

Van Der Vaart, Schevchenko, Bergkamp, henry, Van Nistlerooy, Zidane, Figo, Mendieta, Mcmanaman, Saviola, Owen, Emre, Basturk, all of the top of my head of course.

10. Black

Black New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Van Nistlerooy a good dribbler??? I thought the only dribble that comes from him is from his mouth. He's just a good finnisher i thought

Giggs and Christiano Ronaldo are the star dribblers for Man U.

Add to that:

Ronaldinho
    Zidane
    Queresma
    Ronaldo
    Figo

And some of those Africans have some nice skill on the ball.

11. kopkat

kopkat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    belfast
    the BEST ever

GEORGE BEST

i bet at 57 ( approx ) he could still show everyone yall mentioned a thing or two

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idiot. Can't spell the player's name and John Barnes is not worthy to lick Maradona's boots.

13. marky

marky New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Philippines
    current best dribblers:

Pires
    Henry
    Zidane
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Shevchenko

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Aimar is a good dribbler in relation to those who he's peered with not on the world stage! When he does it in a World Cup or Copa America or a CL final then we can talk..

The best dribblers can take on any defender(s) at any time..not just lowly players who aren't at their level in the first place.

You say i don't know what i'm talking about and then post a list that has about 3dribblers in it out of 13players.. :rolleyes:

Ronaldo at Inter and Barca were the two most comical things of the last 5years watching xx amont of midfielders, defenders and goalies desperately trying to foul/stop but landing on their asses hasn't been seen since..and certainly not with the consistency that Ronaldo displayed.

Before that George Weah was the man. Tearing Serie A apart week after week(when it was the undisputable best league in the world) with run after run.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good Question.

Ronaldinho
    Cristianio Ronaldo(sp)...the young Man Utd guy
    Zidane
    Figo
    Ronaldo...pains me to say this...since the 02 WC, him faking ball in the face...really stripped alot of respect I had for him.

and HENRY!!!

16. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    best dribblers listed by the country they play in, are:

EPL:
    Giggs: unstopable on a good day, cause of his incredible speed and skills with the ball. extremely good on one-one situations.
    Okocha: scored on of the best goals ever scored in german bundesliga in ´94, when he made a dribbling through the whole penalty box, against 3 defenders and the goallie(ollie kahn), but unfortunatly wasted his huge talent.
    Henry: fast, intelligent, allways abled to go for the shot, out of the dribbling.

Spanish Primera Division:
    Zidane: O MY GOOD, he loves the ball and the ball loves him. its impossible to steal the ball out of one of his dribblings, you can only try to keep him from penetrating the goal.
    Denilson: his dribblings at the sideline are famous all over the world, just gets over-confident to fast.
    Aimar: got the same abilities like Zidane, but lacks the physical presence Zidane has. therefore he seems to be faster than him.

Seria A:
    Edgar Davids: the dutch bulldog, don´t even try to steal the ball from him. but has to keep his emotions under control, cause he makes mistakes when he loses his self-control.
    Camoranesi: best italien dribbler i´ve seen during the past few years (maybe becouse he´s native argentine)
    Totti: he means acute danger everytime he got the ball. Maybe skillfull while dribbling, but unpredictable in his moves!

German Bundesliga:
    Hleb: incedibly fast with the ball and still keeps the control over the ball. only way to stop him is to foul him. together with aimar the biggest talent in central midfield worldwide.
    D´Alessandro: small, fast and skillfull, but looses head to often(better passer than dribbler)
    Simak: Best dribbler the czech republik has (even better than rosicky and nedved) There is nothing he can´t do. unfortunatly having mental problems that forced him stop playing soccer, during the last few weaks. Impresses me everytime I see him play.
    It´s hard to list the best dribblers of Bundesliga wthout listing a german,despite our huge tradition(Haessler, Littbarski, Moeller, Hansi Mueller.......) Damn those injuries of Scholl and Deisler...........
    Looking forward to see Piotr Trochowski playing Bundesliga in the future, cause he´s the biggest talent german soccer has (wonderful dribbler).

17. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Good Question.

I think you mean Rivaldo. Ronaldo is that chubby bald guy. Rivaldo wears 10, Ronaldo 9. Different people.

18. Mustang2000

Mustang2000 New Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Kent, England

Idiot. I'd rather have John Barnes in my team any day than that fat bloater, drug taking, cheating, waste of space, disgrace to the game, scumbag.

19. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    Well, your English btw and Argentina (namely Maradona) beat England at the finals.

FAIR AND SQUARE : )

How was Maradona a disgrace to the game? He "robbed" England of the World Cup? Tough shlt.
    Maradona showed the world a great style of football that few players have come close to reproducing as well.

20. mojo_records

mojo_records New Member

May 30, 2003
    Hanford Cali
    maradona=great player
    maradona=bad person

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    a little obscure.. but PIOUS IKEDIA (formerly of Ajax) and the nigerian national team.. that guy can go past anyone on the dribble and just mesmerized defenders... i think he is on loan at some shite dutch club at the mo.....

phishy~

and just try to take the ball off zidane's boot... go on...

22. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    There a big debate between who was the best player in the history of soccer, Pele or Maradona. I think its Pele and I think most do and end up saying Maradona was the 2nd best.

I don´t think anybody in the history of the world has said, "who was the best player in the history of soccer, Pele or John Barnes?"

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If British clubs hadn't been banned from European competition in 1985 Barnes would probably have won about 5 European Cups.

I'm not saying he was the best player ever, but he was a bloody good player and like many Liverpool players missed out on a load of trophies due to the ban.

24. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Are you out of your mind??? I forgive just because you dont have cable anymore!

Dark Savante, I cant believe you havent heard about the last argentine diamond (he already has been in First Division for 2 years now though) and is the best dribbler right now:

Carlos Alberto Tévez

Im still in awe to see noone has mentioned him!

25. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'd agree that Pele is the greatest "contributor" (ie. he invented a few kicks and literally pioneered soccer in the U.S.A) to the game but he never played in Europe so I cant honestly agree that he's the best player. Maradonna simply rocked Europe (Fiorentina never before came even close to winning a CL or a Italian Sudetto) and is praised by many as the greatest player to ever put foot to ball. I'm not saying he's my all time favoutite; cause i'm a "Rivera" kinda guy :D