Review: Best Dribbler Of All Time

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Daniel96, Dec 23, 2011.

?

Greatest Dribbler Of All Time

1. Pele

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Garrincha

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Maradona

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Cruyff

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Zico

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Ronaldo 9 (Brazil)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. Zidane

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Ronaldinho

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  9. Cristiano Ronaldo

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Messi

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  11. Neymar

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    maybe his best dribbles were not captured on film?;)

2. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    This imo a anti-brazilian view at dribbling. The reason Garrincha mesmerized the crowds was due to his funny, humiliating dribbles. He simply seemed to hypnotize defenders by just standing and doing the same move over and over again. While Pele had also the tricky style alongside what I call original Ronaldo's dribbling which seemed to depend alot on speed and power literally bulldozing opponents. On the other hand, Garrincha made them laugh and turned the game into a comedy, which no player has ever done.

Also it is unfair to compare him to Best as the european will have more footage than the brazilian because:
    1.The european will have more footage than the brazilian as brazilians aren't good at archieves as the europeans.
    2. Best was more of a goalscorer which was much more important in the 60s for a forward to get into the highlights. Thats why Pele had way more footage than Garrincha although both were seen to be on the same level.

3. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    ^^^
    Can't you edit in this place?!

4. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    ^^^
    Can't you edit in this place?!

5. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011
    How do you guys mean by the "best dribbler of all time"? Clearly players like pelé doesn't stand a chance in dribbling if we compare to messi etc? How can you even think so? Don't get mad, i just can't see what is so special about him (other than the opponents were bad and he stood out back then).

6. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is a bit of a silly argument, because it is so subjective. Garincha, Pele, and Best were all fantastic dribblers, and they played against the best defenders of the day. Messi, who I consider the best of today makes defenders look just as slow and inept. You can't compare the two head to head though. All athletes in all sports have gotten faster, stronger, and more skilled over the years. Some of these players were around when the 5 minute mile had just recently been broken. Nowadays you have high school kids running faster than that.
    I loved the way Best played because he would run at people, and likewise I love the way Messi plays for the same reason. He attacks the defender.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Here is another view by "NON Brazilian":
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/oct/15/the-joy-of-six-great-dribbles

Garrincha:

Before the 1958 tournament, A Seleção played a warm-up friendly against Fiorentina. La Viola had been runners-up in Serie A that season, losing European Cup finalists the year before, and Scudetto winners the season before that. A crack side. So, anyway, Garrincha sauntered past four of them, sashayed round the keeper, stood with the ball on the line in front of an open goal, and waited for someone to come back and attempt to stop him scoring. When a defender, face as purple as his shirt, finally took the bait and charged in, Garrincha simply evaded another desperate lunge, rolled the ball into the net, flicked it up, tucked it under his arm like a newspaper, ...

About Pele:
    Garrincha's pal wasn't too shabby either, mind. The Little Bird would be the star man of Brazil's 1962 World Cup win, but it was Pelé who set that campaign up and running with this stupendous effort.
    ... Maradona, Pele, Best or Ronaldo Cruijff (and Messi) could have dribbled passing 4,5 players alright, but NONE would have a GUT to wait and REPEAT the challenge like Garrincha -

8. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Yeah thats your opinion. Where's your source that say most agree Garrincha is the best?

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    lastly Wiki was NOT written by Brazilians, nor by any particular Brazil fans

FIFA is NO Brazil website
    'The Lone Star' - Garrincha's Life
    (FIFA.com) Saturday 19 April 1997

Inimitable dribbler
    And in fact, Garrincha's dribbles are unforgettable. And inimitable. He managed to perform his wizardry with legs that did not seem to be made for football
    -

"Garrincha was more of a danger than Pele I believe at the time, a phenomenon, capable of sheer magic." - Wales' Mel Hopkins.

The world might be still divided between Pele and Maradona, but there once, walked a humble genius, shoulder-to-shoulder with Pele who still is the greatest dribbler the world has ever seen

Garrincha-King of the Dribblers

My memories of Garrincha were revitalised by the latest BBC World cup series,here I realised he was the true king of the dribblers!

many many more

10. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nice article he "thinks" Garricha is the best. Though I still don't see the source for your "Garrincha was the ONLY one with the "label" as best dribbler all time by many (several millions >100 ) "

Is that based on a poll? or..

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    even British people said so -despite of the fact they are so fond of G Best and Mathews:

http://www.gravestones-headstones.com/

Manuel Francisco dos Santos (October 28, 1933 – January 20, 1983), known by the nickname "Garrincha" or "little bird" as it means in Portugese was a Brazilian football right winger and forward who helped the Brazil national team win the World Cups of 1958 and 1962. He played the majority of his professional career for Brazilian club Botafogo.

FIFA considers him the best Brazilian player ever after Pelé; he is regarded as the best dribbler in football history ....

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  13. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[This is nothing against you personally, burco: it's interesting how Garrincha gets praised for being a brilliant & effective artisan of a dribbler/ball-mover/crosser of the ball/set-up man as a right-winger; yet the likes of Sir Stanley Matthews gets pillocked outside of Britain for being the same type of player...]

14. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Im just saying an article doesn't prove anything. Pretty sure there are a lot of articles from British tabloits too saying Maradona, Messi are the best dribblers or w/e.

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[As an EYEWITNESS to loads of football in the '30s & '40s; which "weak defenders" are you talking about, mate?]

16. Desmond61

Desmond61 New Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Best dribbler and best passer of all that second time.

17. Desmond61

Desmond61 New Member

Mar 26, 2012
    [​IMG]Best dribbler and best passer of all that second time

18. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Daniel96 is literally 16 years old.

Put as much stock into what he says as you would the pissant bagging your groceries, mowing your lawn, washing your car, etc.

An accomplished troll at such a young age, though. Give him that...

19. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011

I haven't seen such old soccer in real, but in videos i've watched you can clearly see that they are very bad (if you compare to todays defenders, ofcourse). They approach the opponent in ways that a dribbler today would totally smash the opponents. Are you serious that you can't see it?

20. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

21. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011

22. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

23. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011

24. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Enzo Ferrero - Boca Juniors - Sporting Gijon - Argentina Natonal Team.
    Best left wing I ever saw

25. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England