Best defender in the world.......

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by kindredspirit, Nov 10, 2003.

1. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    He is an American defender. A class defender in his own right, but he never made the move over to Europe despite being linked to big clubs like Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund. Eddie is one of the few American players to never really have any aspirations to play in Europe.

2. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Re: Re: Best defender in the world.......

Yes, he is very, very good at playing utter shiite against the US. He routinely gets schooled. I've heard that he is great against everybody else though :D

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IIRC Eddie was one of the stars of the US team at the last world cup. He is a good defender when fit but I seem to remember he has suffered with a back problem for a while now which probably hasn't helped his career.

In a sense it's nice to see someone staying in theor home country, particularly an American, and helping to develop the game for the benefit of everyone who loves soccer there - but it's also a bit of a shame that he doesn't get the chance to compare himself to others of similar ability week in and week out.

As has been discussed on here a few times before, MLS is something of a 'mixed bag' with some great players and some who are little more than journeyman - often in the same team.

4. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I certainly agree with that statement. Although they have started to weed out a lot of these journeymen. If nothing else, MLS is a good league for young players to improve. Players get playing time early in their career which, in my opinion, is what will really help the US National team down the road. Back to Eddie Pope. He still has some years aheah of him if he can stay healthy. He is only 29. I have always thought he was a very gifted defender. Outstanding man marker, fast, strong in the tackle, and great in the air. His athletic ability is impressive.

5. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    AHH, I've seen him. He's very technical. Very Good But why not paly in Europe. I'm sure all Basketball and baseball players would like to play in the MLB and NBA....

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    No one really knows for sure. Supposedly family ties have something to do with it. I agree that he should have gone to Europe. I thought for sure that he would finally move abroad after this past World Cup, but he decided to resign with MLS.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Wow...Chelsea fans are all swinging dicks.

Lazio 0 - 4 Chelsea
    Arsenal 5 - 1 Inter Milan

Feeling a bit stupid right now?

8. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    And Arsenal beat Roma last season, and Manchester United beat Juventus twice.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Roberto Carlos is bar none the best left-sided player in thw World today. He's no longer the defensive liability he was pre-1998 and during that Cup.

You can call him a midfielder depending on the team's lineup (he certainly was in Scolari's 3-5-2). But not a winger. But you can't compare central defenders to Brazilian outside backs - those positions are not interchangeable.

Anyways, in Brazil Alex is certainly a big promise, I also look forward to seeing Chivu, Méxes and Rafa Marquez in 2006.

10. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny. Recently in europe English teams have dominated Italian sides. Italian sides have dominated Spanish sides. And Spanish sides have dominated English sides. It's a weird circle that has evolved. I think the difference that seperates Serie A and La Liga from the Premiership is in the later rounds when it goes to the knockout stage. English clubs have choked more often than Italian and Spanish clubs have.

11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    OT. But I have to thank you for actually providing a very even-handed account of MLS. It doesn't come often enough on these boards.

Pope had all of the key ingredients to be a good defender anywhere. Great quickness, instincts, positioning. A ball winner on the ground or the air. He makes things look easy, so I don't doubt he would have been quality in a good league anywhere. The knock on him is that he lacks the ability to initiate the offense when he gains possession to the degree you'd want from a truly world class defender.

I've also got to agree on the difficulty in assessing players across leagues. I don't want to see it, but the only way we'd know for sure is if a Super League came to be and a more mixed, prevailing style came about.

12. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Maldini. Maldini, Maldini

As much as I hate both teams from Milan, it still has to be (as it has for the last decade and a half) Maldini for pure efficiency in stripping attackers and organizing the other defenders. Italy will miss him in Portugal in June.

13. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    A.Cole is the best left back in the world.
    Toure is the best young defender in the world.

14. Pikey boy

Pikey boy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 31, 2004
    England
    It has got to be Maldini, followed by:-

Tony Adams,
    Mark Butcher,
    Rio Ferdinand,
    Sol Campbell,
    Jamie Carragher,
    Stuart Pearce.

15. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I saw Jaap Stam for the first time this weekend in the Holland - US game. He looks outstanding.

16. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    he will play for Milan in 2005

17. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad player to have on the bench, eh ;)

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    his contract runs until june 2005 if memory serves well

19. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    Best defender

Rusty Pearce.........

20. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    Wise Guy here

Yeah just wanted to get someone yelling at me. Although just to say, is he pretty good or no, I only see him once in awhile and he always plays hard or dirty.

21. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Re: Best defender

You mean the Ted Nugent look alike?

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Puyol MUST be there

23. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    revPowa

Well lookie there a reply, yeah i thought he was an up and coming player. I hope he puts his head in and gets stuck in with the Nats if he is deserving because thats what we need, some personality and fire.

24. gaz_vince

gaz_vince Red Card

Feb 24, 2004
    England
    the best defender in the world is Gabriel Heinze.

25. ive8

ive8 New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    US
    I think Sol Campbell is as good as anyone out there. Jaap Stam too, although I feel that he's very underrated. John Terry IMO will soon be the best CD in the world- he's got all the tools.