Best defender in the world.......

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by kindredspirit, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kindredspirit

kindredspirit New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Having looked at the responses of persons best XI soccer players, there is only one player that was a constant on everyones list..Nesta.

Would it safe to say that Nesta is the most complete of all defenders in the game today?...I would have to say, yes....He may have some bad days and thats a given, but in general I think he is the best defender in todays game.

Go Brave.

2. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Nesta and Cafu.

4. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I agree, Nesta is the best defender.

Puyol is overrated.

5. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Yeah, Puyol is average.

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Nesta is the best. Puyol is a good young defender. If anyone is overrated, its Chivu.

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this. I think Chivu is one of the best center backs in the world. Just look at Roma last year and Roma this year. The only major addition this year is Chivu and they are now fighting for a scudetto.

8. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    used to be Maldini, now Nesta is the best.

in a few years Phillipe Mexes from Auxerre will be up there.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

simply idiotic... chivu is the best all around defender in the world

10. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    You might not know him, but in a few years he will probably in the top list of all of you... He is Alex, Santos' defender, and he also scores a lot of goals, having such a cannon strike... there are some bayern scouts interested in him who are in brazil watching santos games ... He has been called up to Brazil U23...

11. reggae boy

reggae boy New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jamaica, West Indies
    maldini along with nesta are the two best defenders in the world today.

rio ferdinand just coming.

GOD BLESS

12. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    He is roumored to move to Werder Bremen next season as replacement for Mladen Krstajic.

Best defender is Nesta, no doubt.

13. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I do like Nesta, but I would still pick Lucio ahead of him. His raw strength and determination are frightening. When he wins the ball and then immediately charges forward, you don’t want to get in his way.

14. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    Yea, I was going to say him too. Emerson Leao says that hes the best central defender in the world.

15. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
  16. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    And I agree.... Soon u will see! He put Lucio on his pocket!!!

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nesta, Thuram & Gary Neville :)p)

Didn't NEsta go from Lazio to Milan the same season that rio went to ManU for 30mn? (summer 2002)... if so, we missed out there.

18. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes you did. According to some dumb Englishmen Ferdinand and Campbell are better than Nesta and Cannavaro. Lol! Thats a laugher.

19. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Casting a lonely vote for Roberto Carlos.

20. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Shut up idiot! I didn't say that he was complete *#*#*#*#, but your statement is ludicrous. He needs a lot more of Seria A calcio before a statement like that is true. I would take Nesta, Cannavaro, or Thuram over him any day.

21. MathuzaLem

MathuzaLem New Member

May 30, 2003
    SP, Brazil
    Gary Neville?!?!?! lol.... do u remember him against vasco? romario and edmundo got some gifts from him....

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Sometimes I don't know why I even bother

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [Rant]
    Surely not another poll where we're going to be told that Italian and South American defenders are the best in the world... Regarding the Italians - If you play to score one goal and then play with a flat back 10 for the rest of match it's pretty easy to be a defender, isn't it.

And as for Lucio, for god's sake people get real.

Ferdinand has been barely average so far this season - our man John Terry has been streets better than him, certainly against Lazio who were standing at number five in the Italian league when we played them - does anyone need reminding what the score was over the 2 games.

Raul Bravo went back at the end of the load period from Leeds United who aren't exactly burning up the top end of the EPL - remind me who he is playing for now?

Just because someone has an Italian or Spanish sounding name it doesn't mean they're any bloody good.

The truth is there is really no way to compare different players in the same position for different teams, certainly not in different countries, so any comparison is entirely subjective

Roberto Carlos - Jesus... The guy could hardly be called a defender, could he? He spends most of his time up the other end of the pitch.

Chivu's over 23 and he's still at Ajax - doesn't bode well, does it?

In retrospect, though, I may of course be wrong.

Obviously we can't expect Italian defenders to be able to cope with the greats of international football like Wales can we - but I confidently predict they will soon be able to hold out against, say, North Korea.

Ooops...
    [/Rant]

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Chivu went to Roma, didn't he?

25. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Sounds like you never saw a football-game in you´re whole life, man. Just for you: Rugby and Football are different sports since the last few years.......

1.A defensive style only works with great defenders, cause you need to have great tactical and technical skills.
    2.Lucio is awsome. Nothing less, nothing more.
    3.Chivu was captain of a CL quarterfinalist with 21 and is now playing for AS ROMA, what means, he plays Serie A. That is the first league in Italy, a three time world cup winner. The world cup is a big tournament for national teams, held in a four year rhythm. Maybe you remember it. Wales took part in it in 1958.

I´m sure, if you stick to this great game, you will get to know some more exciting facts and maybe you will feel how wonderful it realy is......
    :D