Best Cover Songs..

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by tomas_brolin, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Gloria Jones. I used to play it a lot when I DJ'd a Northern Soul night...that one was a floorshaker.

Another great Nothern Soul tune known better for it's modern remake is the Just Brother's "Sliced Tomatoes" which most people know from Fatboy Slim's sampling.

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of fond of Elvis Costello's cover of "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding."

3. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    I'll just repeat some of my faves (and a few others) from the other cover thread:

U2-"Everlasting Love" (Carl Carlton, although there was one version even earlier than his, if someone knows who the artist is please tell me)
    Aretha Franklin-"Bridge Over Troubled Water" (Simon and Garfunkel)
    Jeff Beck-"Goodbye Porkpie Hat" (Charles Mingus)
    Jeff Buckley-"Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen)
    Jaco Pastorius-"Dear Prudence" (live cover of The Beatles)
    Black Crowes-"Time Will Tell" (Bob Marley)
    Sly and the Family Stone-"Que Sera, Sera" (Doris Day)
    Fugees-"Killing Me Softly" (Roberta Flack)
    Jimi Hendrix-"Like a Rolling Stone" (live at Monterrey cover of Bob Dylan)
    Nirvana-"The Man Who sold The World" (David Bowie)

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads (Paul Simon)

5. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jimi Hendrix - all along the watch tower
    Cake - I will survive
    Siouxsie And The Banshees - Dear Prudence
    Noah - Eye In The Sky
    Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi
    ANTONELLA RUGGIERO & SUBSONICA - Cavallo bianco
    NADA trio - Venezia Istanbul
    Avion travel - Ma che freddo fa
    Delta v - un'estate fa

6. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Janis Joplin - Summertime

7. mad4footie

mad4footie Member

Oct 31, 2003
    New England
    Knocking on Heaven's Door by GNR (the Live at the Ritz version)

An interesting resource is The Covers Project http://www.coversproject.com/ put in a song title and it gives all the covers

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the worst covers is "Drift Away" by Uncle Cracker. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

9. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Back in the days of Napster...

One could put Tori Amos's name in the search field and come out with like a good hundred, hundred-twenty covers of hers that all sound the same -- they all sound like her cover of the old Zepplin tune "Thank you". Heavy, heavy left hand, damper pedal down the whole time, like she opened up the cover of her Bösendorfer to full stick, had a few too many and said "Hey, how many other songs do you think I can fit into this formula?" Which does rather prove the thought that pop music, whatever the genre, is essentially pop music, but that's another debate altogether ;)

Her "Smells like teen spirit" was the song that got me to like Nirvana. Once I could understand the damned lyrics, the rest of what they were trying to do made so much more sense. It's also one of her more inventive covers. In some live recordings she mingles "american pie" in with "teen spirit" as an homage to Cobain.

Tori is an acquired taste, I suppose. Her lyrics are brilliant, too, going way past other diary-lyricists, all the way to "this is why I keep the exacto knife in my purse" songs. But this thread is about cover songs.

With all the Freedom Rockers on this thread, no one's mentioned Otis Redding's "Satisfaction"?
    Joanie Baez singing "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" or "Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands".
    Soft Cell: "Baby where did our love go?"
    concur completely with whomever mentioned fugees "killing me softly" and cake's "I will survive".
    Big Brother and the Holding Company "Ball and Chain".

re: that "Love Song" cover that's out now, I'd love to hear an American band do a whole bunch of Cure tunes, but with the thickest American accent they could put on it -- California accent would be best for this. Just imagine Brian Wilson's voice singing: "Yesterrrday I got sew old I felt like I should die", chewing the hell out of the Rs, more emphasis on the second halves of dipthongs than the first... It'd make the hair on the back of your goth friends' necks stand up, which alone would be worth the effort in recording.