Best attribute for a soccer player?

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccerkid89, Jul 6, 2005.

1. colby7

colby7 New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    "to me, it's all about touch, especially first touch"..........i'd agree with this, if you dont have a good touch you dont have control of the ball, without control of the ball you dont have the ball, if you dont have the ball you may aswell be playing another game no matter how quick, strong, creative or willing you are!

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long flowing locks

3. SantosLaguna

SantosLaguna New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Westfield
    try-ness to the max-ness

4. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say my best one is speed, which is hilarious because, being a wind defender, I seldom need it... :D

5. PrimeObjective

PrimeObjective New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I think its ball control.If you can keep the ball near your feet its not easy to get you off the ball

6. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    speed is so crucial. some players with speed don't use it because they're lazy and i think thats pathetic, but those who have it and utilize it can score great goals and get back and get in front of an offensive attack against their team and stop that play from happening.

7. soccerkid89

soccerkid89 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Michigan
    well, in reply to my own thread i would have to say speed...its just not teachable u either got it or u don't. It carried me for years until i actually got some skills

8. AfroSmiley

AfroSmiley New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Up until recently I've just relied on my speed. Now I know that speed alone doesn't make you good. Most of the time I have been playing soccer I would just get the ball and run as fast as I could towards the goal. When you get older ( around U15 maybe) pure speed isn't nearly as effective because defenders know what to do. A year ago I was getting frustrated because when I would get the ball and turn there would be a bunch of defenders just standning 10 yards back waiting for me to run straight at them (and because I sucked I would run straight into them).

Speed will carry you for a while, but eventually everyone's skills will get better than yours then you realize you need to start actually working at soccer.

When I played like that I basically had no soccer skills or ball control. Just recently I have been working really hard on my touch and skill and in the past three weeks I've improved more than I have probably in the past two seasons. When you get good skills then speed becomes very useful because you can make a move on a defender and then accelerate past them.

I think skill and ball control would be most important along with attitude. If you know how to dribble and keep your body between an opponent and the ball they can't get it no matter how fast or athletic they are. Also, I know people who could be really good at soccer and play at a very high level, but they won't because of their attitudes.

9. Xantium

Xantium New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    In a game, id say hustle, while training, definatly attitude. :cool:

10. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
  11. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill add a basic list:

(no matter how good your skills, you have to have these to be good:)

Speed
    Intensity
    Attitude
    Confidence
    Uh..."Long Flowing locks"... ;)

12. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    willingness to improve, and some damn strong knees and ankles!

13. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    1) good health
    2) Speeeeeed and accelleration baby (oh ya..it helps a lot you can make up for tactical, and technical errors a lot easier)

14. hectic

hectic New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    The Ghetto
    I think attitude, if that can be considered as one :confused:

I remember reading in Keane's BIO one of his coaches when he was young or something said:

"Take the field with the wrong attitude and no matter how much ability you possess, you'll lose."

I remember also talking to Johnny Warren when he appeared as a guest for like a school dinner or something and I asked him what it takes to become a professional footballer and he told me the right attitude.

So theres something a little diff than the usual attributes :D

15. Rugger

Rugger New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I would think work ethic should be in this discussion.

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Man you brought this thread from the dead. But I agree with you. I look for players with a good first touch, field vision, speed off the first step, quick in a small space and besides all that a guy with the will of a winner. As a coach you want to surround yourself with a team of winners. Who want to win, who have won, who expect to win and will do whatever it takes to win.

17. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    For me, it has to be skill. If you have speed/strength, and no skill, you are just an athlete
    If you have soccer IQ, and no skill, you will be ok, but against good competition, you will be crap
    So, first and foremost, it has to be skill above everything else.

19. Florentio99

Florentio99 New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    The most important attribute for me is the technical and creativity combinated together, the players with these features could win the balanced matches and they do the happiness for all the coaches

20. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best attribute? Probably her eyes. Oh her speed. I can't decide.
    [​IMG]

Space bar, nicklaino and Jaweirdo repped this.
  21. midsouthsoccer

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    clearly it is whoever can kick the ball the furthest. if you can't kick the ball far how will you ever get the ball to your offense, and if the offense can't get the ball how can they score. also, if you can't kick the ball far why do you need speed to go chase it down? and... if you can kick the ball far who needs first touch or soccer intelligence, because once you kick it your striker just needs to chase it down.

22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Her eyes without a doubt :)

23. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So many, but cleverness and creativity are key. You must be able to out smart your opponent. But who can say what the best is? Without all of the other attributes being clever wouldn't matter as much.

24. Renatuh

Renatuh New Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think they're all important. You're not complete if you don't have either one of them.

25. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uhh impossible to just choose one thing. If I had to single something out, then spatial awareness. I've seen people with good technical qualities and raw physical attributes, that look hopeless on a pitch because they don't know how to use what's around them. They either rush everything they do with a kind of tunnel vision, or are too indecisive and quickly waste the options available to them. I mean they aren't bad technically, they can control the ball, pass it, turn pretty well, but just hopeless nevertheless.

Elninho repped this.