Best attribute for a soccer player?

Discussion in 'Player' started by soccerkid89, Jul 6, 2005.

1. soccerkid89

soccerkid89 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Michigan
    What in your opinion is the most important attribute for a soccer player? Is it just plain skills, speed,strength, etc? Just wondering what everyone thinks.

2. i07m

i07m New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Well, to me, there's a difference between the best and the most important.

The most important attributes, in my opinion, is stamina and confidence.

The best attribute, to me, is creativity. If you have that flair in your game, and that extra ability, it makes the game so much sweeter to play and watch.

3. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    I would say its a mix or toss up between creativity/intelligence and confidence. I think they go hand in hand though...creative players are smart and of course are confindent. Speed is great and so is strength, but smart players who pick out the right passes and make the right decisions can easily perform well and get away with not having the speed or strength. my opinion though....

4. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    it depends on the level of the game. at high school and lower levels, you can be one of the best players if you have the speed. speed kills at youth levels. at higher levels, i would point to soccer intelligence as being the most important. making the right passes and runs, and defending well becomes very important.

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    None of the above.

The most important attribute is a great soccer brain.

Ya feelin me here?

Soccer is a simple game best played by clever people.

In order to achieve soccer excellence I rank the following attributes,

1) Soccer Brain.

2) Technical skills.

3) Speed.

4) Vision.

5) Strength.

6) Balance.

Good luck!

6. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
  7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I find that persistance and willingness to give effort can make up for not having great skills.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know if I agree with this but it could be right ... one thing that struck me in watching the Confed Cup final was how damn smart those Brazilian players were ... Brazil gets a lot of rep for technical wizardry and some for athleticism, but people don't often talk about its decision making. Lemme tell ya, those guys put on a clinic of anticipation, space, movement, and distribution.

9. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Well in the dutch coaching system they say it's (for youth soccer):

1. Technique
    2. Intuition
    3. Communication
    4. Physical
    5. Mental

10. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Vision.

The ability to see a space or a player, even under extreme pressure.

Anything else, speed, strength, communication skills, or whatever... they can be trained off the pitch in a relatively short period of time. But the one above, you either need to be born with it or have a lot of experience playing organized soccer.

11. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    its definetly speed and touch. without those two passing dribbling and creatvity dont matter and neaither does stamina if u dont do anyhting fast

12. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    It's speed guys. Why do you think players are forced to retire in their 30s? It's not because they've become stupid or lost their first touch. They know where to go and what to do, they just can't get there in time. It's not even endurance - look at the ages of Tour de France riders.

13. pappa

pappa New Member

May 4, 2005
    Control - If you dont have control of the ball you can never do anything with it

And the reason I say that is because it is what David Beckhams Coach used to teach him when he was a lad. Its something I've then taken on and thoroughly believe in

www.soccersaurus.com

14. JCSJR7

JCSJR7 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    I like speed but having game smarts and being skilled are strong assets as well. Think about how a player who is fast would play if he wasnt as skilled or didnt have a good soccer mind. He would be able to react and use his speed but he may not have the desicion making ability to go with it nor the skills to match. If the player was highly skilled but possessing only average speed, he might be able to out manuever the faster player with his skill and technical ability. Another asset that may not have been mentioned and one that may be hard to measure is heart. Heart, desire and determination certainly add up.

15. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Can ignore the pressure and on-field determination.

16. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    True passion. Then I'd say technique and smarts.

17. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Definately speed, I don't care how well you can control the ball when a midfielder is blazing past you and scores a goal on your slow butt.

18. Nixon

Nixon New Member

May 23, 2005
    Manchester
    Positioning, because im crap but always get a few goals at every level i play at and every sport i play in.

19. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    do you mean speed

20. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    vision of everything

21. Slug

Slug New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Being a student of the game.

This entails a willingness to accept that you don't know everything there is to know; that you're willing to listen, watch, and learn.
    That you're constantly trying to become better and improve your play both as an individual and a team player.

As a former high school coach this was my #1 pet peeve. Too many players (especially males) turn their brains off at about the time they reach the U14 level. They're more interested in looking good on the field and "schooling" their opponents (how ironic to use that term) than becoming better players and actually learning how to play the game.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

22. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    A brain and a body that corresponds with that brain.

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the answers in this thread disturb me. these opinions are why soccer in this country is boring. in the US way too much attention is paid to physical abilities.

1) Intelligence-Decision making, positioning, etc. If one does not know what to do consistently, they are nothing. Doesn't matter how well you can control a ball or pass if you are going to do something stupid.

2) Technique/Ball skills-Just the fundamentals; being able to dribble (not the same as being able to beat defenders), control the ball/1st touch (most important ball skill imo), passing, etc.

3) Creativity-Back passes are boring and creativity is fun. No point to soccer if it doesn't look good or isn't fun.

4) Stength, Speed, Quickness, Agility, Size, Balance, etc-Great attributes, but can only do so much.

24. soccermainiac2003

soccermainiac2003 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    as far as i'm concerned you need a ball:p

25. To_MucH069

To_MucH069 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Without A Doubt Its Field vision

Look At Carlos Valderama, Wasnt The Fastest, Quickest, Most Skilled, Didnt Have The Best Shot, Or Best Athleticism. However His Field Vision Allowed Him To Pass The Ball Extremely Well And Get 1 Or 2 Assists A Game.

Even Tho He Wasnt The Most Gifted Athlete He Is One Of The Best Playmakers Ever Because Of His Vision