Best (and Worst) Food Network show

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by obie, Mar 4, 2003.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we already have Emeril and Iron Chef topics here, we might as well cover the whole channel.

I am partial to Good Eats myself. Alton Brown's cookbook is great, more like a science class than a cooking class. And the almost-flour-free brownies he made a couple of weeks back were incredible. I also wish that they'd make a new series of A Cook's Tour shows.

My least faves are Emeril Live and anything with Gordon Elliott (Follow That Food, Food 911).

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Best Of..." and "Bobby Flay's Food Nation" are two of my favorite shows.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Cooking with Bobby Flay. I can't stand that *********************.

Faves: Emeril Live, Best Of, $40-a-day, 30 minute meals.

4. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Good Eats (saw Alton Brown in a restaurant here just the other day), A Cook's Tour, and Jamie Oliver's shows (Naked Chef, Oliver's Twist) are my favorites.

30 Minute Meals is pretty good, because learning anything that you can whip up quickly at the end of the day is a good thing.

Obie's right - I've learned so much about cooking from the Alton Brown book.

5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    That's it right there.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I don't like his cooking shows now. Just Food Nation 'cause of the food from around the country.

His old show "Grillin' and Chillin'" with the Southern dude was great. They would bbq all sorts of stuff, drink beers and make fun of each other.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, that guy Jack. Those were good.

Apparently, Bobby Flay is a major prick, though. Which isn't surprising.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I like Good Eats as well. A campy show with science thrown in. More like a cable access show with characters and sometimes even a plot. Also - Iron Chef, Jamie Oliver & Best Of.

Worst - Emeril Live. I don't even think he makes interesting dishes anymore. Just "BAMS!" & a live band.

9. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Jack McDavid. He owns a southern resatuarant in philly. I saw it on the "Best Of" once. God, I watch too much Food TV.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Best Of and Unwrapped. For actual cooking I like Cooking Thin and Iron Chef. Cook's Tour is also good (but can be gross!)

K

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    who is the young guy always cooking for his friends?

i believe he is british and it looks like he is cooking in his own tiny kitchen in his flat?

i like that show...

12. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Jamie Oliver. The show is Oliver's Twist. You'll find much love for him on the separate "I hate Jamie Oliver" thread.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I do miss "Door Knock Dinners".

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That rather effete Frenchman on the dessert show that always seems to be on late at night does some pretty good stuff. My favorite? The sugar cage. Gotta try that sometime.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    that was a great show...

i was always hoping they would stop by my place one night...

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I believe that's Jacques Torres. He has a shop somewhere in Brooklyn. Very artistic with chocolate and sugar. But it could take hours to make the stuff he does.

17. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Good Eats--It reminds me of Mr Wizard's World in a kitchen
    $40 a Day--Particularly the ones in Europe, plus Rachel Ray is cute. You can't go wrong with that

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm one of the folks that wants to headbutt Oliver, actually. The only reason I would ever watch him or Emeril is if one was cooking the other.

Follow that Food has been pretty cool the times I've seen it. Sarah Moltmann's show that's on at 7 EST is pretty decent most of the time, and worth zapping over to during Law and Order commercials.

19. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of you ever seen Julia Child & Jacques Pepin Cooking at Home series on PBS? These two seem to each completly resent the other. Julia is always criticizing how Jacque makes things. You can tell he just wants to beat over the head with his rolling pin when see speaks to him. It's fun to watch just for that aspect.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope you voted on the poll further down the board then.

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm kinda suprised at the number of people that watch the Food Network. I wonder if I was to ask folks their top five channels they watch, how many will list the Food Network in their top five.

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Definitely in my top 5 channels watched!!!

Favorits are Oliver's Twist and 30 Minute Meals. Also love some of the stuff on Unwrapped.

23. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love East Meets West. Ming Tsai does a great job and a lot of the dishes are amazing.

Molto Mario just annoys the hell out of me though.

25. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Their magazine, Cooks Illustrated, is great too. I love the extended articles on all the stuff they try in putting together each recipe. I get CI and Bon Apetit and the recipes in CI are much more reliably good and accurate.