Best 18?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    So I'm taking the very helpful discussion between the two of you to mean that what I posted earlier was wrong. (Not the first time!!!) That if we have Olympics in summer 2021 Vlatko won't be able to make substantial roster changes unless there are at least a few retirements by older players with contracts. Or is it possible that some players' contracts would expire and not get renewed?

Many thanks.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vlatko can make roster changes if he wants. He can make a decision to not renew a player's contract if he doesn't want to call them up anymore. He doesn't have to wait for it expire or for players to retire. (I think that the decisions of not renewing contracts are made now in concert with Markgraf as GM.) The thing is that change is slow, in that if you're calling up a lot of new players to replace veterans while contracted players are still under contract/severance then USSF is shelling out a lot more money to pay both contracted players and floater/non-contract players.

I do wonder how much Vlatko wants to change the roster though. The assumption around here seems to be that he wants to change it drastically, and I'm not sure that's true, looking both on the lineups he's used so far and how he operated with his club teams.

3. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    You may be proven right in 2021. But I wouldn't use the lineups he's used in 2020 for the USWNT as evidence. I continue to feel that he was boxed in for 2020. Very hard to be the new coach of a team that just won the World Cup, that wouldn't have lots of time to prepare for the presumed 2020 Olympics (in part because of all the victory celebrations), and make substantial roster changes in that situation.

I'm not assuming that he wants to change the lineup drastically. Or that he indeed will in 2021. I just feel that he really had to stick with the same basic lineup this year, no matter how he feels about possible roster moves. But in 2021 it will be much easier for him to at least consider drastic changes.

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There is a lot of talk about roster changes. I believe the players that would have played in the olympics this summer will probably be be same players next summer, not because of the contracts but because they are the best players. Who are the players that are not currently on the team that are good enough to replace elite players?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, although I do think its possible there are a few changes. Can the oldest players hang out for another year? Maybe, but none of us can say for sure one way or the other. Lloyd will be 39 by 2021 (and I'm not a Lloyd doubter like many here, but very few field players stay in top form through the age of 39). Actually, Ali Krieger would be another aging player who would be my top pick for a player who will age out and not be able to make it another year. She's also not a contract player. People have also already been complaining of Rapinoe not seeming fully fit anymore and best used as a sub (and maybe that's still true in 2021, but maybe not). I don't think there will be an overhaul like some are arguing here, but I don't think the roster will be the same as it would have been in 2020.

jackdoggy repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I am nervous with Harris as a backup. I'd like to see Bledsoe gat a shot.

7. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Well Morgan should be back, Sophia Smith should have some time as a pro, Mal Pugh might have a resurgence, and maybe Catarina Macario will have her citizenship by then. It also gives them even more time to look at Casey Short.

TimB4Last and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Since the Olympics are now delayed until 2021.... I think we need to start the rebuild that was originally delayed. We all no that some have been hanging on because of the 2020 date. They will now be another year older in 2021 and it is the time to move forward. Vlatko has one more year to get us younger...use it if you're smart

Bob Lamm repped this.
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the recent World Cup Tournament, I heard several USWNT player interviews stating that the Team was 23 best friends. It’s difficult for me to imagine the extreme level of cohesion among this group that has been building over time as a result of engaging in:
    • battles for squad inclusion
    • battles for playing time
    • battles for Universal Supremacy (Achieved)
    • battles with their Federation
    • battles in the Courts
    • battles to change people’s hearts and minds over social issues
    Of the 2019 WWC Championship squad members, only (6) ATG, Becky, Tobin, Rapinoe, Carli and O’Hara are Olympic Gold Medalists. Of the more Veteran Players - Alyssa, Ashlyn, Press, Ali, Franch, Long and McDonald - this cycle is likely to be their last chance to win an OGM. And at some point, Julie and Julie’s Husband are going to go off and start having Super Babies. Also, are Ali and Ashlyn a package deal regarding Team inclusion for a major tournament??

With each passing day, I’m become more convinced that no Veteran will leave this Team voluntarily and rather, will view this twelve month delay as just another challenge and go all out pedaleth to the metaleth to remain on the Team……and in this Movement.
    Yes, Vlatko’s job just became a lot more complex.

BWTHDIK

Wait, I do know one thing - - March 26, 2020 - - Day 1,726 of the current Women’s World Cup Championship Reign.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carli was going to retire following the Olympics this year -- at least, from WNT duty. Now, she's going to stay for another year and compete to be on the Olympics roster. So says a syndicated article from yesterday's LA Times. There's your first indicator.

Vlatko and Kate have a big decision to make. Is winning the Olympics now their top priority? In which case, I don't foresee a lot of change in the roster although there may be a few changes. Or is winning the 2023 World Cup now their top priority? In which case, I foresee more change.

I say Vlatko and Kate because it is going to be critical that the coaches and federation are 100% in sync on the decision about what the top priority is. And, it's going to be important that they communicate that priority to the players with unanimity and clarity. Otherwise, there's likely to be a lot of trouble.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  11. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm honestly very skeptical that the olympics will happen in 2021, because I think it's highly dependent on whether there is a vaccine widely distributed worldwide by then. This vaccine would have to be ready to go by early next year. Seems optimistic, but who knows. Maybe they will just have a games without spectators.

I think whether Vlatko really starts integrating younger players depends on whether soccer is played sometime before next spring. If there is no NWSL season, there won't be an opportunity for younger players to show their worth. Ditto for NCAA. Also depends on how much camp time there is for the USWNT. If he can't evaluate players, he'll probably end up taking the vets. I suspect rest will do a lot of players good, especially the older or more injury prone players like Rapinoe, Carli, O'Hara and Heath.... so this delay may actually help them make the roster more than your realize, rather than the reverse.

On the Morgan question... she got very lucky didn't she. Hopefully she will have to show she's still the best option and won't be included on name alone. Perhaps a controversial opinion, I think the team looked better and more fluid without her this SheBelieves Cup. I haven't been impressed with her or Heath for awhile now. I never thought Leroux was given a fair opportunity to come back after her first baby, but of course she doesn't have alex's stature in the program. She was actually better for Orlando than Morgan was in 2018, then she got pregnant again. I think Rodriguez and of course Rampone did come back after their first pregnancies.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There currently are 7.8 billion people in the world. It won't take that many doses of a vaccine, if indeed one can be developed, but it will take a lot. If there is a good vaccine, how long to mass production, then mass distribution, then getting people vaccinated (not to mention dealing with the anti-vaccers). We are entering a new era and major questions abound. Planners of mass gatherings, and especially international ones, will need to re-think everything.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ytrs repped this.