Best 18?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 10, 2020.

1. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Dahlkemper is good with long ball service but she is one of the worst 1 v 1 defenders. I do not trust her at all without someone like Sauerbrunn back there. Even Krieger is a better defender.

2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd go with sonnet over Krieger also, but I would look for somebody else in the long run.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    RalleeMonkey said:
    I don't recall AD doing that once.

Pretty close, though-- could have left the "once" out if you didn't mean to imply "at all."

My impression was the Canada played to minimize AD's opportunities, which is sensible because she's a big part of the offence VA has inherited, and she caused them trouble with it several times. I'd rather make Ali do it too, if I could... and at the WC several teams tried hard to make Becky do it, and Becky tried hard not to let them.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I said I don't recall it. I didn't say she didn't do it. If I meant she didn't do it, I'd have said she didn't do it. I said I don't recall it. You called me a liar. Not lying. Don't recall one time she played the ball out. I'm sure (I think), she did. But, it was so infrequent, I don't remember it.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Now, that's one...

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So you were talking about hamburgers? Dude, at least own it.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Aristotle's not lying either-- he's using a rhetorical device to support a position he can't support any other way; which is what I thought you were doing with the rather gratuitous "once;" there's a pretty huge difference between "I don't recall her doing it much" and "I don't recall her doing it once"

8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    We're going in circles now. I don't recall her doing it once. I'm sure she did. I don't recall it.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell happened to this nice conversation? This is where the referee forces the antagonists to shake hands and then pretends all is well.

jnielsen, lil_one and cpthomas repped this.
  10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is this the Aristotle who played left winger on Alexander the Great's Ragtime Band? They beat the Persians as I recall.

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? He was Alex's youth coach...And let us remember that Alex, like Vlatko, was a Macedonian...

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Back in Alex the Great's day, he was known as Vlatko the Impaler.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If he married Flaco Jimenez would they be Vlatko and Flaco Jimenez? The team could use a top flight accordion player, I think...

(But it still wouldn't pass Evelyn Waugh and his wife Evelyn Waugh Waugh).

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    cue game show missed answer sound effect: Waugh Waugh waugh

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yes, he's part of Socrates' coaching tree. Unusual in that usually it's the Brazilian defenders that end up in the coaching business, not the A-mids.

taosjohn repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That's the kind of spirit we have here at Morescience High...

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in need of a distraction, so I'm bumping up this thread. Anybody else want to rework their prediction now with up to an extra year before the Olympics? I think Morgan makes it now, which for my prediction, I think knocks McDonald or Williams out.

Also there's so much in the air right now. I'm starting to wonder if there will even be an NWSL season this year, which also raises the question of who all will stay fit/healthy. And will bubble players have a chance to play their way onto a roster if the NWSL season is cancelled/shortened? A lot can change in a year.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are LOTS of threads this could go in. This seems as good a place as any. I was re-watching the 2015 final and I noticed something that really shows the evolution of Julie Johnston Ertz. In that final she made several mistakes and was directly responsible for both of Japan's goals. On one she just flat missed a tackle and allowed the Japanese player a wide open shot in front of goal. On the second goal she deftly scored an own goal right past Solo. In the 2019 final she was faced with similar circumstances several times and was nearly flawless in her play. Or at least as nearly so as a player can be in a defensive central position.

In the space of four years she moved from an average central defender, strong but somewhat mistake prone, to the best defensive mid currently active in the world.

I do not think she is currently better than Akers was at the same position but she is close and may be a bit better because she is playing against better opposition.

She should be in anyone's top 18 now or all time.

But I do like Akers' hair better. I love big hair. ;)

I wonder what the all time "hair" team would look like by position? I know Akers makes it twice. Once as a defensive mid and once as a forward.

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really anything special by a played-football point of view (at least on the international level: domestically she's been a very good and prolific FW and she still keeps playing and scoring in 2nd Division), but by a purely "hair" point of view, have you ever seen former Japanese international Eriko Arakawa? (In the photo below she can be seen alongside Aya Miyama, who often assisted her in NT in the late first decade of this century).

[​IMG]

McSkillz repped this.
  20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I would think the one year delay could affect some of the older players making it. And, yes, agree that this puts Morgan in.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unless she gets pregnant again. She may want to act quickly to feed as much as possible into the future of US soccer. ;)

22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OOooo, I think I remember her from when she was in the WPS 10 years ago and played for FC Gold Pride. Or maybe I'm thinking of another player, I believe it was Arakawa. I think the reason I remember her so well was because of her badass hair style compared to the other players. :D

blissett repped this.
  23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FALL 2019: Morgan: I'm pregnant
    Lloyd: Congratulations!! :::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:::

SPRING 2020: Olympics postponed until 2021 due to the Coronavirus

Morgan: :whistling::whistling::whistling:
    Lloyd: :cry::cry::cry::mad::mad::mad:

blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I confirm Eriko Arakawa played for Gold Pride in 2009.

By the way, she always was a very good player, didn't want to play her down. But of course, since the first member of the "hair" team mentioned here was Akers, we were talking a different ballpark.

Based on hair style only, though, she would sure be a legitimate member of that team! :D

Edit: picture of Arakawa in the Gold Pride era:

[​IMG]

McSkillz repped this.
  25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do like that hair. I wonder about several other positions. Namely goalkeeper and defenders.