Best 11 Right Now

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LuckofLichaj, Oct 19, 2018.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Eh, it's two and a half years and he has upside for miles. If we're projecting 2022, I can see it either way.

I wouldn't bet on him starting personally, but I see way too much worst-case scenario stuff with injuries on here. I forget who it was, but one dude was pretty certain Tyler Adams was never going to be the same again.

Deadtigers and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I too can see it either way, which is why it makes little sense to project him as a 2022 player.

What is the worst-case scenario? No one is suggesting Weah will never play again.

Adams just had the one injury that Leipzig initially tried to conservatively treat, before finally going with the surgical option. Weah's situation is different. He's had two major injury layoffs. And unlike Adams, he hadn't even established himself as a consistent pro anywhere.

largegarlic repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We need to see what player is Weah once he returns. Some never go back to being the same man.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    largegarlic, SCSAutism and DHC1 repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Replace bradley and roldan with Pomykal and morales and Boyd for Pulisic and the squad is pretty reasonable. I’m not going to touch the best XI as it’s a joke.

As soon as these young players get any first team major league minutes, they replace the fading minor leaguers:

Ledesma - lletget
    Llanez/Weah/Ferreira - Zardes

largegarlic, SCSAutism and yurch10 repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What has Ledezma not shown you?

7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Never mind the players. This list is 24 guys and doesn't have Pulisic in it. I think Ives retired a few years ago.

Winoman and yurch10 repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Im not the OP but he hasn’t shown me the ability to compete at a major league level.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Neither have most of the players in our pool, so another approach is needed. The "first team minutes" mantra isnt the answer because the leagues our players are at have different styles and varying levels and our domestic league hasnt proven to be able to produce quality international players.

There is no reason that Llanez should have to wait for Wolfsburg to play him (even though it may happen soon). Llanez proved a January camp wasnt to much for him so should get more chances. I would much rather him be an option of the bench like he was with the u20s than have Zardes as a third forward or wing depth.

Ledezma ooks to be one of the closest of the young players who havent yet made it to a top level. He has improved significantly over this season and is pretty much running his team. Not sure what else he could have done with his situation. He may have challenges at a higher level and still need to work on things, but his skill set looks like it should translate to the international level more than many of the hyped MLS players.

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think Ives' squad is a pretty reasonable guess. Even if we BS posters are over guys like Roldan, Zardes, and Bradley, I wouldn't bet against them being on the WCQ roster given the circumstances. I had some hope that having the Olympic qualifiers, Nations League games, and then hopefully the Olympics would give younger guys plenty of opportunity to show their stuff, but now none of that is happening, obviously. I think that will cause Berhalter to default to guys he's had in the team more over young guys on the upswing who haven't been in the team much...a mindset which didn't help much last cycle.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    it would be a colossal mistake if Bradley is on the roster. He’s not a guy you can use as a sub as he’s a guy that needs to be helped defensively and doesn’t add much in terms of offense either. He has also shown that his leadership isn’t correlated to success either under Klinsmann, arena or Berhalter.

roldan is demonstrably worse than Morales - it’s not even close.

Zardes - he is one of our best strikers and unless a couple of youth players push him out, he’s in the squad. He s not particularly good but that’s our striker pool....

Bajoro and Three and Three repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I would definitely call him in and take a look vs lletget but right now we don’t know if he’s any better. His career could be just like lletget and hyndman (not good enough for major leagues). I’d be disappointed for sure.

largegarlic repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s 25. And while he doesn’t include Pulisic in the 25 he does list him in the 11. Straight joke. Does anyone even bother to proof read these.

Three and Three repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    just replace boyd with Pulisic as it was a brain fart.

the inclusion of bradley and roldan over Pomykal and morales is purposely insufferable though.

Bajoro, Pegasus and LuckofLichaj repped this.
  15. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I haven’t watched Ledezma since the U20 WC. Has he improved his defending issues? I have followed your conversation and feel like you have a pretty good eye at understanding his attacking abilities and what he could bring to the men’s team that no other player we currently have can. But he was very poor defensively. He was poor at anticipating where he should be and was constantly caught chasing the play. A player like Pax looked miles ahead of him at understanding how to defend. I was shocked that a player in Europe would be that naive. I do realize that Holland is not the league known for defensive play, but it is still a top 5ish league and you would expect better. If and when he improves there I expect him to be one of our most important players.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I haven't seen that much; do you know why he isn't on first team at PSV? To me he looks like Pulisic minus experience. They would likely duplicate if on the pitch together. So I'd put him behind Pulisic on the depth chart and wait for him to show something for PSV which, after all, is not a top 4 league and he hasn't made an appearance with the first team in league play afaik. I'm not one of those who puts a guy on the team just because he runs fast and dribbles. I know he had been injured for a while so best should be yet to come.

Do you have any idea if he signed an extention with psv? Wiki said he signed for a 1 1/2 yr deal which I think would run out this summer.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's assuming Puli will be injured, probably.

PS: He actually doesn't discuss Pulisic because for him he's a given, he's there in the Starting XI at the bottom.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pepi for the '22 WC was a good shout from Doyle. 11 goals in 12 games worth of minutes in USL. He already has a goal from just 14 minutes of MLS play.

The SBI selection is too short on creativity. Recipe for underachievement.

I was watching a Michael Owen interview. He mentioned that in his day the surgeons didn't reattach hamstrings that were ruptured across the muscle. Dude played the rest of career with one leg having only 2 working hamstrings. There's something to positive about for Weah.

Pegasus, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I look at our attacking midfielders, our central midfielders, our outside backs and think, those guys could be world class.

I look at our forwards and think, I bet one of those guys gets at least to midtable big league level, and that's like world-class to us.

I look at our keepers, especially Steffen, and think, if that's the level of our worst problem in 2 years and 6 years, then I'm OK with that.

I look at our center backs, and I just think "Bocanegra." At best.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Answering my own question here: Transfrmkt says he signed an extension on Mar 16, 2020, til sometime in 2022.

Well, I guess that means PSV rates him so that is something.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Considering the CB pool of Brooks, Robinson, McKenzie, Long, Miazga, EPB, Richards, Pineda, Alvarado, Trusty, Zimmerman----

I'd say the potential is better than Bocanegra-level. Brooks is certainly already better. It takes longer for CBs to develop, and a number these guys aren't or weren't in optimal situations.

Striker pool = Morris, Zardes, Sargent, Toye, Soto, Pepi, Nova, Ebobisse, Vazquez, Ferreira, KDLF, Mueller

I'd consider mid-table of a top-5 to be the floor for the best to emerge from this group.

22. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    Mahtzo1 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I look at the current pool and I see a group of players that with decent coaching should have no issue qualifying out of CONCACAF, but little else.

The "decent coaching" part may be a problem, though.

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they worse than Costa Rica 2014?

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, definitely. I wish we had 70% of that Costa Rica defensive acumen.